Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

8 posts, read 26,253 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the area in May and have been reading the forums for months to get information on different things to do there. I've hiked quite a bit on the southern portions of the Appalachian Trail with my brother and sis-in-law and have a lot of gear for it. I am looking forward to hiking there and was wondering what some good trails would be to hike/camp around Anchorage? Due to work I usually only get in 3-4 day hikes. Also, what would be adequate protection for wildlife while hiking. I've usually carried bear spray and a pistol while hiking the Appalachians even though it seemed to be overkill(the brother is deathly afraid of bears). I know that a lot of parks do not allow firearms on the trails here. I plan to hike mostly solo so what should I carry at a minimum? Thanks for any information and I can't wait to see the views in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Well, Flat Top is the most popular hike around Anchorage, so you'll want to avoid that one. Actually it's a nice hike in late evening, around sunset. Of the hillside trails right behind Anchorage, my favorites are Wolverine Peak, Williwaw Lakes, and Rabbit Lake. Within an hour or so drive, Crow Pass is a great dayhike out of Girdwood. The South Fork Eagle River trailhead, north of town, is slightly less well known. The Hatcher Pass area up by Palmer has some great hikes, Reed Lakes being my favorite.

There are several hiking guide books for Alaska, this being probably the most comprehensive: Amazon.com: Hiking Alaska, 2nd: A Guide to Alaska's Greatest Hiking Adventures (State Hiking Series) (9780762722372): Dean Littlepage: Books

For bears, it is highly recommended that you carry something. Guns are very common here, and many will tell you they're required for safety. I get by just fine with only pepper spray. If you do take a gun, it needs to be at least a .44 mag. The only way I'd feel safe in really intense bear habitat (tall brush along salmon streams) is with a 12 guage loaded with slugs.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

That sounds great! Thanks for the info, I'll try those out. I do prefer trails that aren't as busy. I answer enough questions at work, wouldn't want to do it hiking. Not that I'm anti-social I just like to unwind by kicking my own butt with a hard hike in peace.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinnator11 View Post
I just like to unwind by kicking my own butt with a hard hike in peace.
Well in that case, add in Bird Ridge down along Turnagain Arm, and Pioneer Peak up by Palmer. Guaranteed to kick your butt.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Although it can be a bit conjested by hiking standards the Eagle River Nature Center has some trails. Getting past Echo Bend at the 3 mile mark on the Crow Pass Trail is spectacular following the valley with Polar Bear Peak in the background.

We hiked the Gull Rock Trail out of Hope last year and only saw one other small group. Possibly due to the 50+ bear scat piles along the way. Never saw any bears on the trail although there were a couple in the campground before we set off. We always take bear spray and make noise when visibilty is obstructed. When growing up we would always look down for rattlesnakes while hiking, now it's constantly scanning ahead for bears.

The Gull Rock Trail follows Turnagain Arm opposite from the highway side of the arm. Not much elevation gain but it has fantastic views of the arm. It's a good early season hike as it gets lots of sun with less snow.

This is the prize at the end of Gull Rock.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaT...84803472294994

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
A great resource for hikes in the Anchorage bowl area as well as all over the state is:

Alaska Hike Search- A Guide to Hiking in the Anchorage Area

Some of my favorites are Hanging Valley out the east fork of Eagle River. For hardy hiking South Suicide Peak up Rabbit Lakes & Penguin Peak on the Turnagain will give you that kick-butt with a breathtaking, panoramic view at the top. There are dozens and dozens of hiking trails in the Chugach outside of Anchorage.

There are 2 quintessential hiking guides to the area besides Littlepage's mentioned above:

55 Ways to the Wilderness in Southcentral Alaska
50 Hikes in Alaska's Chugach State Park

There are some worldclass backpacks in Denali National Park. Kesugi Ridge is a great backpack traverse in Denali State Park. Resurrection Pass Trail is an easy 3-4 day hike with USFS cabins for rent all along the way.

Crow Pass out of Girdwood is a great hike with or without reserving the alpine cabin.

The USFS rental cabins in Alaska are great:
Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

I make noise when I hike & backpack, am constantly alert & scanning, carry a small bear canister for when I backpack & never carry bear spray or a gun. I have seen many bears but with no incidents.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM

That's good information thanks. Also, about the bears. I'd rather cut the weight than carry a 7lb shotgun. Are the cabins usually reserved far in advance or are they first come/first served?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinnator11 View Post
That's good information thanks. Also, about the bears. I'd rather cut the weight than carry a 7lb shotgun. Are the cabins usually reserved far in advance or are they first come/first served?
The USFS cabins & the AK state cabins are reserved far in advance- approx. $35/night. The Mountaineering Club has some drop in huts, but you have to join the club which is easy to do. We've stayed at their glacier hut up in the Talkeetnas which was a trip of a lifetime climbing up to Mint glacier.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
If you hiking skip the shotgun. Hard to swing and bring up on target in heavy brush. I personally carry a Smith & Wesson 329 in .44 mag. It's lite and I've practiced enough with that I trust my ability to shoot it. Carry whatever you feel comfortable with....

Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If you hiking skip the shotgun. Hard to swing and bring up on target in heavy brush. I personally carry a Smith & Wesson 329 in .44 mag. It's lite and I've practiced enough with that I trust my ability to shoot it. Carry whatever you feel comfortable with....

I have a Benneli 12 ga with a pack scabbard. Pretty quick to get to and fairly light. Wouldn't want to need it only to realize it's at the house I guess. Be a darwin award winner I would think at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage