U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 37,221 times

Advertisements

My friend wants to move to Anchorage and I wanna convince her not to or maybe tell her why she should go
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 34,817,562 times
Good? It's Anchorage!

Bad? It's Anchorage!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,738,563 times
Good and bad often depend on your perspective. Why does your friend want to move there, and why are you trying to sway her decision?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,305,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Good? It's Anchorage!

Bad? It's Anchorage!

Beat me to it!

Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 PM

376 posts, read 761,950 times
Okay, Morgan, by your name on here, you are a male? Your friend is a female? Would that be a reason for wanting her to stay??? Both of you just need to come up here for a vacation!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,305,851 times
Okay, I'll bite.

So for ME, the good things about Anchorage:
* great climate for midwives and homebirthing!
* I actually have a few friends
* Decent and fun places to eat (lots of locally own restaurants to explore)
* Moose in my backyard
* Low Bush Cranberries
* Close to a large Military base (we have some military benefits still)
* Beautiful Scenery (not the best or most beautiful but still nice to look at most days)
* Nice variety of pubic and homeschool options
* Many green belts and large parks

Bad things about Anchorage:
* Weather SUCKS!
* Not so great for gardens
* It's a city with city rules and city people
* Terrible terrible drivers (rude too!)
* Stuck up annoying people
* It's not Fairbanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,751,135 times
Down sides:
Rent and real estate are sky high for anything half way decent
Eating out is extremely expensive
hiking in the summer you need a bug suit because the mosquetoes are really bad

Good things (if your upper middle class where money is no object):
Great views once you leave anchorage on your private plane or helicopter
Awesome snowmaching on your 10k polaris and 200$ in gas to get out to a place to ride.
Salmon fishing in remote areas (need that private plane or helicopter otherwise your combat fishing with everyone from anchorage).

Alaska is great as long as you can get off the roads becuase there is a relativly large popluation density around anchorage the valley and the kenai and very few paved roads and everyone and their brother is on the seward and glenn all summer long, the nick name for the seward past potters marsh is the death highway because its the only through fare to the kenai penensula and everyone and their brother is on that road, its an absolute night mare at certian times.

So if she is comming up here and working at the dairy queen I would strongly recommend her not come because your going to be too broke to do anything, if she is an MD and making 100k or is monied up from somewhere it could be a good time.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

21,368 posts, read 34,817,562 times
Bad thing? People like highlife live there and complain about everything.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,089,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
hiking in the summer you need a bug suit because the mosquetoes are really bad.
A BUG SUIT??!! I am an avid hiker & backpacker and only occasionally get mosquito bites in the Chugach around Anchorage bowl.

Now Wonder Lake in Denali is a different story.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM

4,465 posts, read 5,751,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
A BUG SUIT??!! I am an avid hiker & backpacker and only occasionally get mosquito bites in the Chugach around Anchorage bowl.

Now Wonder Lake in Denali is a different story.
I have never had issues around anchorage, they must spray or something or just the car exahust keeps the bugs down but as soon as you get out in the valley they get really bad, my uncle has a bug suit for taking pictures in remote areas because he has to lay still for a long time and got eaten up before. When I have gone 4 wheeling as soon as you stop they are all over. I might get myself a bug suit this summer but I am spending alot of time working on my pilots licence and will be helping change the wind shield in my dads super cub so I can go fishing/flying this summer without the nusance of anchorage pukers swarming like flys (even though I live in anchorage LOL, but am originally from the valley). When you get out on the floats in the middle of a lake there are no bugs its really nice. Thought about getting one of thoes machines that attracts mosquitoes into a bag for up at my dads cabin so we can enjoy without a suit on or a fire going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage