Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Am planning to vist Anchorage mid June 2011 and hv done some net seraches and wud like help in confirmation from that a one week stay in Anchorage and using that as a hub to take in the best sites of Alaska is feasible.
I'm not too keen on cruises but it seemed from what I saw on the net that good use of road tours and some hired car driving will meet my purpose.

Hoping for guidance,

vvvijay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I am expecting my sister to be here around the same time and am going to be going around with her in a rental RV to the Kenai and Valdez and maybe a run up to Denali.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
Yes, if you want to avoid tour buses and the like, Renting a car would be your best bet.

Keep in mind that car rentals can be very expensive here. Shop wisely.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
By "using Anchorage as a hub" do you mean you're planning on returning there each night? If so, I'd strongly recommend not doing that. You won't see nearly as much, and you'll spend more on lodging. For a one-week trip, I'd keep it simple and not try to see everything. Go south to the Kenai Peninsula and spend a night or two in Girdwood, Seward, and Homer. Or go north and spend time in Talkeetna and Denali. Go east and visit Valdez, and maybe take the ferry back to Whittier. You could drive the loop from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back around through Glennallen in that amount of time as well, spending a night or two in some of the towns along the way. Keep in mind when visiting coastal towns, that if you're only there for a day or two you may wind up mostly seeing clouds and drizzle. You've got to be a little bit patient in these places if you really want to see them at their best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage