Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM

20 posts, read 31,813 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much everyone for your answers so far. This forum is so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,914,461 times
This is the way to get seafood. When you've been here a year you can get a sports license, and then you'll probably want to look into getting a subsistence permit.

Because seafood is so plentiful here, a lot of stores in Alaska don't carry Alaska catch, though there are some in Anchorage/the Valley/Fairbanks that do and probably even Juneau. Maybe someone like "roadfamily" knows of some good fish markets in Anchorage.

Subsistence regulations vary by region, but if you move up you'll have time to check into all that, and once you get your permits you'll be able to have a lot of seafood at minimal cost provided you go out and catch it.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is the way to get seafood. When you've been here a year you can get a sports license, and then you'll probably want to look into getting a subsistence permit.

Because seafood is so plentiful here, a lot of stores in Alaska don't carry Alaska catch, though there are some in Anchorage/the Valley/Fairbanks that do and probably even Juneau. Maybe someone like "roadfamily" knows of some good fish markets in Anchorage.

Subsistence regulations vary by region, but if you move up you'll have time to check into all that, and once you get your permits you'll be able to have a lot of seafood at minimal cost provided you go out and catch it.
We do know how to fish, so yes we'll get permits either way. Do you have to be a resident for at least a year to get any kind of fishing license? When we visited Alaska 20 years ago we went fishing on a beach in Seward. Is that allowed these days?

What about hanging around the docks when the fishing boats come in? Is it acceptable to buy salmon or shellfish direct from the fisherman?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,846,347 times
Default Even more answers and opinions...

I've lived in the Anchorage metro area for over 25 years, prior to that SE AK.

I've lived in Girdwood, Chugiak, very South Anchorage, midtown, next to Campbell and Jewel Lakes, Spenard and downtown in Bootleggers Cove and Westchester Lagoon areas in that time. All of them have their positives and drawbacks. Distance to drive, neighbors, urban sprawl, expense.

My opinion: I'd never ever join the combat commute again. It's more expensive and wearing than you think it will be, most especially if the commuter works anywhere beyond the outer boundaries of the city. What you save in housing $$$ goes up in fuel exhaust and that will only increase as gas gets more costly. You can find rentals all over the city and beyond but in my area in Westchester/Downtown the rental market is really tight right now, especially for family housing and costly when something does come up. South Anchorage has plenty of housing but rents aren't cheap in the nice areas either.

I can't help you with schools as I don't have children but my coworkers, almost every one, had their children in private schools or special immersion program schools.

Daylight is the issue in the winter. The days are just darned short. That short day length gets to me way more than the cold. And bright sunny days are often a two edged sword. They lift the mood but are accompanied by bitter cold nine times out of ten. The seemingly endless ice on walking surfaces gets to me personally as well. As we age, falls are a real concern, but younger folks don't need to worry about that as much. Because of this we leave AK in the worst 3 winter months to warmer climes, like most of the birds....

We live by Westchester Lagoon and the local kids go to the park to skate as the city does a good job of keeping it groomed all winter long. Overall though, kids probably spend a lot of time on computers, playing games and the like inside. IOW, make sure you have space for kids to play without being under foot.

Food is costly like everything else that gets shipped up here but local food is expensive as well because of the cost of labor up here. You just have to plan around sales, make use of the big box stores, and other methods of economy, like everywhere else. What really costs IMO is medical/dental care. Make sure hubby's job has medical benefits.

Plenty of recreation, summer and winter. Skiing doesn't just mean downhill. Nordic or cross country skiing is great exercise and there are groomed trails all over the city. A much cheaper alternative to camping out at Alyeska every weekend. Also there is the aforementioned ice skating and the ubiquitous ice hockey programs for kids.

Lifestyle: Your personal political construct sounds like ours but like religion, we are pretty apolitical in general. Like everywhere else there are obnoxious and intolerant opinion spouters that can't live and let live and that feel the need to instruct and exhort those with differing views. We moved into a more liberal district and just keep our opinions to ourselves. That's our method of coping. Like religion, politics are off the table in company.

Alaska is a great place to live. Like other frontier states, we value independence and the ability to cope with adversity in the people that choose to live here. Before I retired I worked in a job where more than a few people moved up here for all the wrong reasons (the extra money or to escape their problems where they lived) and they'd get here and complain about Alaska's shortcomings, or they couldn't hack the community where they were assigned to work and would need a priority transfer. Most of the time, these folks wouldn't last five years, miserable and complaining the whole time they were here, not making friends or seeing the possibilities.

If you need entertainment on a high level, excitement, or shopping or many fine dining venues, Alaska is certainly not for you. But that's not what you are asking about so you have as good a shot as anyone of making it here.

I suspect that you weren't getting the answers that you need or deserve because 1) it's summer and we are all busy, and 2) we are all a little tired of answering a variation of the same questions over and over again. Nothing wrong with asking but it feels a little like wasting time to answer over and over. Nothing personal you know?

Good luck to you.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 05-29-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,788,319 times
looking at my last year sport fishing license NR class 6A-14 day $80, NR Class 6B 3 day $35, NR class 6c 1 day $20 (I think..has hole punched thru it!) and class 6D 7 day $55...

Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,308,900 times
Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your help in this thread. I think I have all the answers I need for now. The biggest question is whether hubby will get the job. As I said, there is no offer on the table yet. But if he gets it, I think we will go. He has been unemployed for a while and if a company in Alaska hires him then it's New York's loss as far as I'm concerned. We have been in NJ our whole lives, I would love to have the experience of living someplace else for a while, even if it's only for a few years. I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for our kids. Thanks again! If the offer comes through I'm sure I'll be back here looking for more specific info.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM

sure hope he gets the job and you get to experience Alaska!!! best of luck on the job and possibly the start of a new chapter in your lives.....ps..the only good thing I like about NJ....JerseyKat (girlfriend), Englishtown Races, IKEA!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
sure hope he gets the job and you get to experience Alaska!!! best of luck on the job and possibly the start of a new chapter in your lives.....ps..the only good thing I like about NJ....JerseyKat (girlfriend), Englishtown Races, IKEA!
Thanks! And really, the best thing about New Jersey is New York City!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elissabee View Post
Thanks! And really, the best thing about New Jersey is New York City!
oh darn I slipped up on that one! See I am usually heading from NY into NJ! love the city an am due for a trip in soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage