U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 AM

12 posts, read 22,394 times

Advertisements

Hey yall. So my wife and I are moving to Anchorage in late Aug from Vancouver, Wa. We are going to to drive our 2 vehicles and do the 48hr drive in 4 or 5 days. I have already bought the 2011 "Milepost" to plan the drive with.
We are moving because she is a RN and will be working at Providence Hospital. We are already planning on leaving about 2wks before she is to start to find an apartment.
I have read through alot of threads on the forum to get some ideas of what to expect from the move. I am still have some questions that I hope yall can help with:

What are some good areas around the hospital to look into renting an apartment in? We would like to stay withing a couple of miles of the hospital if possible.

Does any one know of a really good Realtor to use to help us find a decent apartment rent?

What are some major or minor things that we must make sure we do in order to "survive" in Anchorage?

And how is the snowboard scene there? We are frequent boarders at Mt. Hood.

Thanks for any help that is provided.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM

19,851 posts, read 15,471,267 times
You really need to be here to look around the Hospital campus and apartments nearby. Seriously, stay at the Marriott Residence Inn for a week and get your logistics.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,162,302 times
I have friend up in Anchorage working for hospital. She came up from Florida in the hotel industry. She rents three bedroom townhouse condo with all utilities paid $2,100 monthly. Finding hospital job and finding a rental was easy for her. Make sure you get a place with utilites included. You never now if your heat will be high cost in winter time.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the input. We are gonna try to be there about a week before she starts to look at places to rent. We do think it would be easier to find a good place to rent if we have help from a Realtor, anyone know any good Realtors to talk to for help?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM

19,851 posts, read 15,471,267 times
There are several. Look under property management. I have been very happy with Pacific Rim Properties. They are in Anchorage and have rentals and realtors which they can recommend to you. South Anchorage, around the UAA campus and Eagle River would be good places to consider. Avoid any area like Moutainview....

Consider the commute in Winter if you plan to stay. Providence is easy to get to and parking is accessible.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Ill check in about PRP.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 PM

376 posts, read 791,322 times
Currently my 4-plex has one for rent. The person renting will most likely be leaving at the end of this month. I haven't heard if it is already rented. If you want to talk to the landlady, send me a note and I will give you the phone numbers. I live in South Anchorage and it doesn't take a lot of time to drive to the Providence area. Maybe in the winter it will take a little longer, but it isn't a bad drive. I'm always willing to help a fellow nurse!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage