Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times

Advertisements

Internet companies know that most people just care about high speed internet so thats where they have you by the balls. GCI's good high speed packages are around 140$ a month so you dont really save much getting rid of a land line and cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

57 posts, read 129,999 times
one note for sports fans - GCI has signed up with ESPN3. While you can't get NFL through that you can get a TON of college games for free. That is one reason to have decen speeds and you can save on not paying for TV....

GCI's package is NOT $140. Look at their new prices. I now get 15mb / 1mb for $65 - their prices were reduced significantly but you have to call them if you are on an existing plan and request that they redo your plan (which is free)

Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak01 View Post
one note for sports fans - GCI has signed up with ESPN3. While you can't get NFL through that you can get a TON of college games for free. That is one reason to have decen speeds and you can save on not paying for TV....

GCI's package is NOT $140. Look at their new prices. I now get 15mb / 1mb for $65 - their prices were reduced significantly but you have to call them if you are on an existing plan and request that they redo your plan (which is free)
I will have to go back and look, I know that the lower packages had over all limitations like if you watched too many netflix shows you could get hammered. I will definitly have to look again though.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
For Mr Doom and Gloom Pearso...

Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM

57 posts, read 136,977 times
For what its worth, i use gci. Their internet is nice and fast, and it didnt really seem that they segregate their channels into packages.

Sure, its expensive, and their billing system is really wonky, but ive tried every one else and if you want good fast internet, gci is the way to go.

Sorry fir the horrible grammar, but im using an iphone...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.742077,-156.950397

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman522 View Post
For what its worth, i use gci. Their internet is nice and fast, and it didnt really seem that they segregate their channels into packages.

Sure, its expensive, and their billing system is really wonky, but ive tried every one else and if you want good fast internet, gci is the way to go.

Sorry fir the horrible grammar, but im using an iphone...

---
I am here: Google Maps
Yea, we contemplated getting rid of it but my fiance needs it for her online classes. Because the expense is so extreme I took stock of the things I really needed it for at home considering I have high speed at work and am at a computer all day long, I can get my emailing and what ever else I need to get done at work and dont really need to have any internet at home. So basicly my fiance needs it for school so its basicly an educational expense. Otherwise we would probabably can it.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Yea, we contemplated getting rid of it but my fiance needs it for her online classes. Because the expense is so extreme I took stock of the things I really needed it for at home considering I have high speed at work and am at a computer all day long, I can get my emailing and what ever else I need to get done at work and dont really need to have any internet at home. So basicly my fiance needs it for school so its basicly an educational expense. Otherwise we would probabably can it.
so your going to *********r employer over by doing personal business on their computer during time your being paid to work for them??? seriously?? what the heck happened to good old honest work ethics???

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 PM

32 posts, read 90,446 times
Default It's just a guess

But I would say that "good old honest work ethic" disappeared when companies stopped giving even a semblance of concern for their employees.

No more retirement plans, a reasonable work week has become 70, 80 or even longer work weeks that now create stressed out and unhealthy employees, health care and paid time off are being phased out...corporate America is becoming a "we're going to run our workers into the ground and when we're done with them, we can just discard them and move onto a fresh batch".

The real surprise isn't that employee work ethic and moral is crumbling in today's work evironment, what's surprising is that it still exists at all.

Getting back on topic, the two major internet providers I've been able to find up here are GCI and clearwire. The major differences are that GCI is going to be faster and more reliable, while clearwire is a more affordable option.

If you mainly use the internet for web surfing, social media sites and the occasional video, clearwire is probably going to be your best bet. They have a 3G wireless access plan for I believe around $32 per month. The downside to this plan is that the download speed is capped pretty low (2mb download speed I think), but for casual use that shouldn't be a big deal.

If you are into more intensive pursuits (online gaming, video chatting as a regular means of communication ect.), the download speeds that clearwire offer are going to probably be too constrictive. In this case, GCI is a great option. The plan that my family is currently on is the extreme 15.0 plan with GCI. Our internet has been fast and reliable so far (even when our cable has been on the fritz, the internet doesn't miss a beat). The price is a bit high at $70, but not unreasonably so.

We may be switching to clearwire here just because I'm a big fan of unlimited internet (having to fret about hitting monthly caps isn't something I've had to do in a number of years, and I kind of enjoy the feeling of unlimited internet), but GCI isn't a bad choice if you need the speed and are confident you'll stay below the download limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage