U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 PM

59 posts, read 146,025 times

Advertisements

So, I heard Alaska has a nice job market in general. And when I looked at the Anchorage Craigslist, they actually had a lot of entry-level sorts of jobs that didn't ask, for example, for experienced dishwashers and all that nonsense.

So, does Alaska -- specifically, Anchorage -- have a really good job market, for inexperienced entry-level wage-slaves?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,686,549 times
WalMart in Anchorage hires all the time.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,805,007 times
Ivory carving...

Chuckle !!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,519,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrykein View Post
So, I heard Alaska has a nice job market in general. And when I looked at the Anchorage Craigslist, they actually had a lot of entry-level sorts of jobs that didn't ask, for example, for experienced dishwashers and all that nonsense.

So, does Alaska -- specifically, Anchorage -- have a really good job market, for inexperienced entry-level wage-slaves?
The only market in Alaska I know anything about (apart from the oil field) is the market for photographers. Not a good job market unless you pretty much start your own business and do it well.
I am the proud experienced entry-level waged-slave, thank you very much

On a serious note, from what I have experienced (on the Kenai peninsula personally and by hearsay in Anchorage) the job market in this state is not what the rumours in the lower 48 make it out to be. I know a lot of experienced people who after a long period of unemployment are desperate enough to seek even the kind of job your asking for and who can't find them very easily (or at all). Walmart and McDonald's are the best bets if you seek a job that's not requiring any experience, but depending on your age and civil situation, it can be very hard finding something you can actually live on without working 16 h/day for one or more employees.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,915,572 times
I know that I have had a few offers over the years in engineering but nothing to write home about. I am trying to sell my condo now and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the lower 48 market has not caught up with alaska but I fear that it has and I can only lower the price so much before I take a big hit and will just have to put our lives on hold to sell when the market improves because im not writing a check to sell my place.

Alaska does not seem to be doing all that hot right now. Maybe better than the lower 48 but not by much. There are alot of things in the works like shell oil, heavy oil development but nothing has broke loose yet, EVERYTHING is going to hinge on the 2012 election and the states tax structure. If the gov does not get out of the way and leave people alone (ie no outragious taxes for ANYONE) things are going to get really bad.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 AM

2,769 posts, read 5,067,462 times
If you are 21 and have a clean driving record, the school bus companies are always hiring. The starting pay is double minimum wage.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM

259 posts, read 520,884 times
Better to have a Job before moving to Alaska. There is nothing worse then not having a job...except maybe not having a job in Anchorage.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,915,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
Better to have a Job before moving to Alaska. There is nothing worse then not having a job...except maybe not having a job in Anchorage.
The weather here can litterally kill you if you find yourself homeless, there are numerous homeless that die every winter because the weather here is so brutal. I would have a job lined up before I got here, the weather here is just way to extreme to even have the possibility of not making rent.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,434,447 times
sure, there are plenty of minimum wages jobs here. Good thing too, since it will take 2 or 3 of them to pay your rent.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,881,981 times
Sorry, the lower 48 is in horrible shape. Sounds like AK is WAY WAY better off. College kids and recent grads can't even get jobs at the local wal-mart... They are all taken by the PhD's...

I will not even get into the housing market... House is barely worth 1/3 of what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage