Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 54,225 times

Advertisements

At one time, driving the Alcan was best in the winter. Nice smooooth road. During the thaw it was a muddy nightmare. Washboard and dusty during the summer months. Had to pad the gas tank with an old inner-tube streached across and below the gas tank. That would help soften the blow from the rocks, therefore, hopefully, eliminating the puncturing of the gas tank. Maybe by now they have paved the highway. ( I haven't driven it since 1957.) I think your best bet is to put the car on a Barge here in Seattle for Haines (4-5 day trip) and fly up to Juneau and take the ferry up to Haines for the car. The ferry departs from Bellingham and I believe their rates are a lot higher than the barg. Also, if you don't book a year out, you stand about a zero chance for a cabin. That means sleeping in the lounge or out on the deck, under the stars, you hope. They will not allow you to sleep in your vehicle. The Alaska Ferry System also departs from Price Rupert, BC. You could drive there and board for Haines. At Haines, it's about a 17 hour drive (750 miles) to Anchorage. (not sure if that's where your going)
Or you could barge all the way to Anchorage and fly. A few more bucks, but compared to going via Haines, might not be too expensive.

Alaska State Ferry System
[url=http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/]Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF[/url]

Barge Company
[url=http://www.aml.lynden.com/shipaml/southeast.html]Alaska Marine Lines[/url]

Airline:
[url=http://www.alaskaair.com/]Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air[/url]

What ever you decide upon, have a great trip.

Regards
BillHarris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,624,053 times
The entire Alcan is paved. Much cheaper than trying to take the ferry all the way.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 54,225 times
Hi SN
Glad to see they finally got it paved. Wonder if they ever corrected the problem of the road bed heaving when the spring thaw came?

Don't know what gas is on the Alcan but in Canada, I expect it is somewhere near $5.00 USD/gal. Alaska should be around a dollar less.

Even at those rates, depending on the vehicle's gas consumption, it may still beat the Ferry cost.

One person making the trip to Anchorage, flying and barging might be the least expensive. It's when you have to move the whole family of (?) to ANC is when the trip via the Alcan may be best. Don't know.. Have to do the math.

Alaska gas prices:
[url=http://www.alaskagasprices.com/]Alaska Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Alaska[/url]

Later
BH

Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,787,880 times
by now it may be too late to get your car on the ferry this year.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,400,967 times
We are taking the ferry out of Whittier all the way to Bellingham, have to change ferry's a couple different times change in Juneau and in Petersburg. The cost for our motor home 32 foot and rooms for the entire trip is $5,000. with the prices in Canada for fuel back in April of 2007 it will be a bit more but much more relaxing.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 100,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
by now it may be too late to get your car on the ferry this year.
I just booked passage from Bellingham to Haines in the middle of June a week ago. There's limited room for cars and no cabins left.

Has anyone ever camped out on the boat? Can I get some opinions on bringing a tent/sleeping bag/etc? Oh, and how big and how costly are the lockers? Anyone bring a cooler with their own food? Did you trust everyone on the boat enough to leave your things unattended for a while? Is the water pretty rough and should I expect to have plenty of Dramamine with me? How expensive is the food on deck? Is the hour we're docked at some of these stops long enough to get off and walk around a bit?

I'd love some opinions!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,400,967 times
Normally the narrows are mild and these ferry's take the waters very well. We took the ferry from Haines to Petersburg, on the way down to Petersburg we stayed in the solarium in our sleeping bags on the provided lounge chairs, it poured down rain the entire way and the end of our bags got wet but no big deal. They also have recliners in a room with a TV that you can stay we did that on our way back to Haines. I would say all in all it was a pleasurable trip but your trip will be a few days longer than ours was. They serve good food well they did this was about 23 years ago I can only assume it got better. You should enjoy your trip don't worry about theft these folks have one thing in common at the time, that is not having a cabin and trying to be comfortable. We took our bags with us but when we returned to the solarium after breakfast our lounge chairs were still empty and waiting for us.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,500,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Farmgirl View Post
I just booked passage from Bellingham to Haines in the middle of June a week ago. There's limited room for cars and no cabins left.

Has anyone ever camped out on the boat? Can I get some opinions on bringing a tent/sleeping bag/etc? Oh, and how big and how costly are the lockers? Anyone bring a cooler with their own food? Did you trust everyone on the boat enough to leave your things unattended for a while? Is the water pretty rough and should I expect to have plenty of Dramamine with me? How expensive is the food on deck? Is the hour we're docked at some of these stops long enough to get off and walk around a bit?

I'd love some opinions!
I've seen people who've pitched tents at the end of the solarium and I've slept on one of the lounge chairs. They have overhead heaters so it doesn't get too cold and if you get a spot furhter in, you shouldn't get wet if it's raining. The lockers are standard terminal size lockers and I think come in a couple of sizes. Not sure of the cost. Yes, bring a cooler to save on costs. Last time I was on a ferry, the food prices ranged from about $3 to $20, depending on the ferry (M/V Columbia had a sitdoewn dining area). Usually you can get a burger and fries for $5-10 and they usually have a special in that range.

You can leave your stuff unattended and it will likely be unbothered, but carry anything you don't want to lose with you (i.e., don't leave that laptop sitting out in the open). For most of the trip, you're travelling in protected waters. The only open water is the stretch as you leave Vancouver Island and get near Ketchikan. For the most part it's just a gentle rocking for most of the trip.

You can get off and stretch your legs on land at each port, however, many of the docks are away from the city proper, so you won't have enough time to get there and back. I believe at Ketchikan, there's a grocery store/strip mall across the street close to the ferry dock. You'd have enough time to go there to replenish your food supplies. Also, on the cabin deck they have an ice machine that sells ice to keep your cooler cold ($0.50-$1). Listen to the announcements before you get off. Sometimes they'll leave early to get a better tide through some of the channels.

Oh, and if you want to try and get a cabin, keep checking. Sometimes there's a cancellation making it available. Also ask when you check in and when you get on the ferry, put your name in with the Purser's office. They deal with late cancellations and no-shows.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 26,224 times
hello, we are a newly married couple with 2 kids. we would like to move to alaska for living and to eat some snow if get there. if you know how, or someone willing to help us move there would be a big help. we are from Sri Lanka.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 26,237 times
I want to take a ferry from seattle to anchorage, then drive my motorcycle back. Does anyone have a suggestion?ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage