Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 AM

23 posts, read 50,432 times

Advertisements

2012 will be my third year trying to relocate to the Anchorage area and I'm interested in hearing from people who relocated to the area. What was the winter weather like? Was it what you expected? Did you drive there? Was it a mistake? Cost of living, etc.

I have done some research regarding weather, the long winter, cost of living, outdoor activities, etc. Just interested in first hand experiences.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

(Locating a job has held me back.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM

32 posts, read 90,446 times
Default My thoughts on Anchorage (and Alaska in general)

I just moved up to Anchorage with my wife in August of 2011, so this will be my first winter here, but if you like I can post updates in this thread describing things from a new resident's perspective (I haven't lived in a cold winter climate since I was a small child, so it will be a lot about dealing with the weather).

So far, my wife and I are thrilled that we made the trip. It has been on the cool side, and rains a lot; but the people, geography, city life and opportunities have been beyond our best expectations. Our first experience on landing in Anchorage was with a grumpy cab driver who told us that the weather was horrible because it was always raining (we both enjoy the rain though), the city was too big and crowded, and it was all just dingy industrial environments until you got into the "real" Alaska.

The rain he was right about, it is a coastal city so it is going to rain often. If you like the dry, sunny weather of say...California, you're going to be disappointed. The crowding isn't an issue I've had any problems with so far. Rush hour can get a bit hectic on the roads here in Anchorage, and if a moose decides to stop in the middle of a road and take a break, it can back up traffic, but for the most part the traffic really isn't too bad. I haven't felt crowded in Anchorage like I have at times in major cities, and most of the people here are very friendly (I've never had so many people say "Hello" as we pass each other, or been called "sir" by so many young kids as I have in my short time here). People generally greet you with a smile, and are willing to stop and talk, or help you if they can.

The biggest surprise for me was the comment about there being no green spaces in Anchorage from the cab driver. As we were driving from the airport to our apartment, we passes huge areas that were heavily loaded with trees. We live on Lake Otis, and have the Campbell creek green belt just blocks from our apartment. You can walk along those paths and at times not even realize that you're still in a city. There are large parks, lots of lakes and if you do want a more natural setting there is Chugach state park just on the edge of town that offers wonderful hiking and biking opportunities in a massive forest.

Probably the best part of our experiences so far for me is the scenery of this place. As Dorothy once said, "We're not in Kansas anymore." Mountains thrust up just outside the city, there are amazing vistas, beautiful marshlands and inlets, tons and tons of streams to explore both in the city and the surrounding area. We've already seen glaciers, picturesque valleys that could rival the best in alpine Europe (take THAT, Sound of Music ), waterfalls that seem to spring out of the face of cliffs, spruce forests that seem to go on forever, and lakes that look like jewels sprinkled on the earth.

The employment opportunities here are excellent. In almost every business we've walked into there has been a help wanted sign up. Coming from a region of the country where unemployment is creeping towards 30%, that is an amazing thing to see. Prices here are a bit higher (we moved from California, so the price increase has been very small for us. Coming from a more affordable region of the country, your wallet would feel it more), but not so much so that it is unmanageable.

My wife and I can't wait every day to hop on our bikes, go for a walk, or take a ride in the car and see what new things Alaska is going to reveal to us. This move has been the best thing that we've done in a long time, and while I do understand that this city might seem crowded and dingy to someone who is used to living in the more rural areas of the state, in reality it's not very crowded at all, and has more to offer than most cities in the lower 48 could ever hope to offer.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Very poetic response....I'm looking forward to reading your updates.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Great response! I truly cannot wait to get back to Alaska. My plan is to live in Eagle River and commute in assuming I get on with the VA and get accepted to the UAA's RN program.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 50,432 times
Great feedback! I to look forward to your updates.

Thank you

Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
2012 will be my third year trying to relocate to the Anchorage area and I'm interested in hearing from people who relocated to the area. What was the winter weather like? Was it what you expected? Did you drive there? Was it a mistake? Cost of living, etc.

I have done some research regarding weather, the long winter, cost of living, outdoor activities, etc. Just interested in first hand experiences.

Thanks!
Where are you coming from? It could very well be much like something you are used to. Then again it could be 180degrees from what you are accustomed to.

Moving to Alaska was never a mistake for me and my family. we have done it about 5 times now and each time we do better here then where we came from.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Where are you coming from? It could very well be much like something you are used to. Then again it could be 180degrees from what you are accustomed to.

Moving to Alaska was never a mistake for me and my family. we have done it about 5 times now and each time we do better here then where we came from.
You've moved to Alaska 5 times? Is it for your job?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
You've moved to Alaska 5 times? Is it for your job?
We think it's a "grass is greener" syndrome.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post

Thanks!
I moved to Alaska just over 20 years ago, and it was the best move I ever made. Winters in the Anchorage area are mild. The lack of sunlight during the winter months was somewhat troublesome at first, but I got use to it. I drove up from Los Angeles, so the cost of living was not that much different.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 PM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
This will be my 3rd winter here. DanReynolds, I love your exitement of living here. I too have enjoyed my time here! The ocean does keep us warmer in the winter time, and cooler in the summer time, compared to the interior of Alaska. And just like anyplace in the lower 48 that has snow and ice, there will always be some precautions you have to take in driving. We did get down to about 5 1/2 hours of daylight last winter. That isn't bad. I am a member of a hiking group here and we hike in the middle of winter with head lights and snow gear. I did have a heater placed into my pickup before I moved up here from Colorado, but I haven't even used it. I do a lot of traveling to the Yukon area for my job, and it can get a bit colder there than Anchorage. The drives around Anchorage along the highways will show you some awesome scenery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage