U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 AM

56 posts, read 146,304 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I currently live in Phoenix. My job ends in May next year, then will move. I am torn between Anchorage, and melbourne, FL. I lived in AK 4 times in the past. Most recent was in Fairbanks 2 years ago. Last time i lived in FL was 1976.

Rent etc. would be cheaper in FL, but think jobs harder to find. And i really dislike humid weather, but how bad is the humidity in FL? The thought of living by a beach, fishing, warm weather etc. sounds good. Jobs would pay less than AK. I work as a cook in a childrens daycare, that job is in every city and town. So i can do that in either state.

What do you Alaskans think? Please give me advice. Snow, cold, wildlife, mountains or sun, warm, beaches?? I think i can go either way right now.

Also, i do not have a car, so will be walking and taking the bus everywhere. Summers are way too hot for me here in Phoenix, even if it is a dry heat, walking in this sun sucks! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM

506 posts, read 1,185,338 times
You do not want to live in Florida. The heat there comes close to Phoenix, and the humidity is some of the worst in the USA.

http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/rh2313.pdf
http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp1013.pdf

Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,760,447 times
Florida's humidity is about as bad as you can get, for at least half the year. It's usually much drier from November or December through March or April. The average highs in the summer are ten degrees lower than in Phoenix. It rarely gets over 95, and you don't get as much of that sun-sitting-on-top-of-your-head feeling, but with the humidity it's like breathing through a hot, wet towel.

I moved from Tampa a year and a half ago, and there are a lot of good things to be said about the state as well. It's probably a lot different than it was in the 70s. But despite all the development and increased population, it's still a neat place with lots of fishing and wildlife and outdoor fun to be had. It's harder to get away from people there than here, but certainly not impossible. I don't know much about how the economics compare between the two places, but I think you're on the right track with your thinking on it. The housing crash hit most of Florida pretty hard so it may still be a good place to find a good deal on a foreclosure.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,322,425 times
Florida if you cannot drive.
Alaska if you don't like the heat.
Are those your only 2 choices?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 AM

97 posts, read 130,064 times
I say AK but then I think I'm a bit biased. I haven't lived in FL but I have visited numerous times. Each time the heat and humidity does me in and sends me to the closest pool to cool off.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM

868 posts, read 1,250,410 times
I can't imagine living in Florida, but let me tell you, depending on the bus for transportation is no picnic here, either, in the winter.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,280,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akboy View Post
Also, i do not have a car, so will be walking and taking the bus everywhere. Summers are way too hot for me here in Phoenix, even if it is a dry heat, walking in this sun sucks! Thanks!
Get a used one. It's not hard to pickup one that runs and is reliable for under $2000. Not something to take a long road trip in but good enough for puttering around town in.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,462,174 times
^ Yeah, what Stiff said. Not only should you get a used car, but maybe add a couple places to your list, because it sounds like both of these places are off your list if you decide not to get a car. For instance, you don't like humidity, you will HAAATE Florida. It's as bad as it gets. I grew up in central Alabama and went to Florida to go to the beach every year (we had a place in Perdido Key, on the panhandle), and you just really don't want to move there after living out West for so long. It's pretty awful. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving the South, never to return.

I don't know, you've got a bunch of different criteria that kind of disagree with each other. If you want to live by the beach, enjoy fishing, etc., you would like Maine (and it's nice and cold in the winter like AK), but then again, Maine is humid in the summers. Not nearly as bad as the South though, and if you lived in the right place in Maine you could handle it. But the cost of living is very high. I don't know where you SHOULD go, I just know you should NOT go to Florida, because it's the second-worst humidity in the country behind Louisiana. And really, if you're used to living out West and in Alaska, you just don't want to come to this part of the country. I love my home, but I must admit, the backwardness here would astound a lot of people who aren't used it or don't understand its origins.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM

6,423 posts, read 12,053,514 times
And Florida is full of all the old blue haired retired people from Michigan.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM

868 posts, read 1,250,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Yeah, what Stiff said. Not only should you get a used car, but maybe add a couple places to your list, because it sounds like both of these places are off your list if you decide not to get a car. For instance, you don't like humidity, you will HAAATE Florida. It's as bad as it gets. I grew up in central Alabama and went to Florida to go to the beach every year (we had a place in Perdido Key, on the panhandle), and you just really don't want to move there after living out West for so long. It's pretty awful. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving the South, never to return.

I don't know, you've got a bunch of different criteria that kind of disagree with each other. If you want to live by the beach, enjoy fishing, etc., you would like Maine (and it's nice and cold in the winter like AK), but then again, Maine is humid in the summers. Not nearly as bad as the South though, and if you lived in the right place in Maine you could handle it. But the cost of living is very high. I don't know where you SHOULD go, I just know you should NOT go to Florida, because it's the second-worst humidity in the country behind Louisiana. And really, if you're used to living out West and in Alaska, you just don't want to come to this part of the country. I love my home, but I must admit, the backwardness here would astound a lot of people who aren't used it or don't understand its origins.
They are very radically different choices, that's for sure, and from the sound of the original post, both have some serious drawbacks.

But then...I live here and love it, yet if I were to move, my top two choices would be Charleston, SC, or New York City, both about as different from AK as you can get. In a perfect world, I would have homes in all three, and the power of instantaneous teleportation.

Whichever you decide, OP, I'm sure you will find something to love about it, and will be much happier if you focus on that, instead of the things you dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: