Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 138,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just decided late tody to use my close-to-expiring frequent flyer miles to make a trip to ANC from home in Tampa, scheduled September 23rd through 30th (too last minute to plan for the Great Frontier?). I have always been mystified by this grand, surreal realm of beauty and frontier.

Can you tell me some about Anchorage? What there is to do/enjoy in September?? (single lady..NOT looking for love right now..I'm 27 and wanna live it up a bit!!!!) What absolutely not to miss?? BTW, I'm an addicted (novice) hiker and will go to many lengths (heights) to get my 'fix' of gorgeous scenery and SOLITUDE. Is it safe in ANC and surrounding areas, for a 27 year old, by herself? What are some safe, reasonably traveled hiking areas (unlikely encounters with weirdo wildlife or weirdo humanoids)? Healthy eating joints?? (I love frozen yogurt and tofu) Can I buy/pack some food from their grocery stores for picnicking? Are there any places that feel wonderfully remote, yet still are relatively safe for a young woman like myself to go to?? How far do I drive to see a real glacier? What's fun to do, if one only has a week? Not too interested in nightlife..my nitetime activities include zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh, I'll have a car, so I can travel. Are the roads clear?Where to drive to to take a trip???

ARe my chances of seeing the Aurora realistic? Temps?? What to pack for this voyage? What types of clothing for late September? What else to bring along?? Please, any help I'd SO appreciate!!

Oh, I'm so excited!!! Thanks so much. Vick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM

69 posts, read 321,790 times
Hi Vick! Good for you to make the trip. Actually, I think late Sept is gorgeous with the fall colors. Not a bad time to check out the scenery at all. Anywhere you go!

I'll let others pop in with hiking suggestions. I'd like to believe you'd be fine by yourself out there. But, the mother in me would rather you find a buddy.

New sagayas sounds right up your alley for food. Roads should still be clear. If you can go to the Crow's Nest for a good view of the Anchorage Bowl.

I'm excited for you. You are going to have so much fun!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,701,231 times
Yes, good timing. Snow can and will start falling by mid to late October.

You say you have a car, so drive the Seward Highway to Girdwood, and be prepared to slow for wildlife.

Check out "Earthquake Park" if you are interested in geology, this where you can still see the destruction of the great '64 quake, plus great water views.

Good times? Plenty of rowdy bars still exist. Just be careful. (Sorry to sound like your dad here!)

Best plan is just ask around. Most locals will give you good ideas. If you have a stretch of clear weather, also make the drive to Denali (Mt. McKinley)...only worthwhile if the weather is clear.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,253,878 times
Plenty of great hikes. Weather is changeable and can run the gamut from the 60's to the 20's, termination dust on the mountains surrounding the Anchorage bowl. Height = lower temps. Lone hiking for novices not recommended. Bears are prepping for the winter, read up on bear common sense. Layer clothes and carry small survival kit. Mother nature is a stone witch.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,914,461 times
Drive up the Glenn Highway and see the Matanuska Glacier--it's a truly beautiful drive.

Quote:
ARe my chances of seeing the Aurora realistic?
Fairly so, yes.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,389,524 times
Drive to Seward to their Sea Life Center and pet some puffins!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 117,295 times
Be very careful traveling alone... we have women killed and missing or a regular basis, just check today's newspaper at adn.com

Old 08-30-2007, 08:33 PM

35 posts, read 117,295 times
The best way to travel for a single woman in Alaska.... join group of tourists, they usually go to the best places to see, it is safe and you will see much more from the window of the bus. I recommend Exit Glacier guided tour from Seward http://www.exitglacierguides.com/
You will spend a lot of time wondering where to go and what to see doing it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage