U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,546,447 times

Advertisements

After a weeklong manhunt, Anchorage police announced Friday the capture of an alleged Craigslist scammer who they say pocketed $130,000 from his victims.
Members of the U.S. Marshals Task Force nabbed Kyle Dwiggins, wanted on charges of theft and scheme to defraud, at 9:15 p.m. Thursday at a strip mall along Tudor Road.

Police capture fugitive Craigslist scammer who posed as home remodeler | Alaska Dispatch

Why anyone would pay someone 50% upfront to do a job is beyond me. I also don't think its very smart to scam someone in Alaska.

Where you going to run? Ruskies to the left of you -- Canucks to the right, so you're stuck in the middle where you committed your crimes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,974,420 times
Smart! but knot smart enough !! GOOD another nut is off the streets.

Some people refuse to work and think up different ways to 'steal' money!

Now he is going to have plenty of time to think about his next big adventure.

Real Smart;... That's about as smart as trying to steal a car.. .. in Valdez!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,888,400 times
Wonder if he had blown it all and/or if the victims will get anything back?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,157,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
the new about a month ago about a builder who scammed people out of money for taking money for building houses he never built...the people will never see their money as you can't get money out of a stone as they say...it is gone

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,974,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The money he makes working in prison will be used to pay people back I'm sure.

It oughta be a law - you should be forced to pay back twice what you stole!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,299,251 times
There are scams like this a lot. People need to be aware and not completely trusting. I usually have at least one or two emails a week from people wanting to buy something with "cash". It really means they want to send a cashiers check for more than the amount and have us refund the difference. Just last week a realtor sent a cashiers check to a title company to put in their trust account. When they ran it through a copier the works "draft" or something to that effect showed up. That guy disappeared...but he will show up somewhere else.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,888,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
the new about a month ago about a builder who scammed people out of money for taking money for building houses he never built...the people will never see their money as you can't get money out of a stone as they say...it is gone

Spring before last, I worked the Gulf Oil Spill cleanup out of Waveland, Mississippi. That is where the brunt force of Hurricane Katrina hit... New Orleans just got some flooding sixty miles to the West, but got all the press.

There were nothing but concrete pads where the houses use to be.

The scammers were everywhere taking "Deposits" from people just to be on the "List" to get workers there to rebuild, which never happened.

Not only did these people lose everything to the storm, but they were bilked by con artists to boot. I can see when you have that kind of a disaster where when you catch these scum, you just shoot them on the spot as an example. They show no mercy to those that have lost family, friends and their own life's savings to a disaster and yet they feed on people that are destituit...

I just have no use for vermin or people that hurt other people without cause.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM

868 posts, read 1,216,835 times
I'm glad they caught this guy. Craigslist is a wonderful resource, but I know a few people who are so put off by the scammers they refuse to use it.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:26 AM

34 posts, read 75,358 times
Glad they caught him.
Just the other week on Craigslist, I saw several nice 2 to 3 bedroom houses for rent around Anchorage and Eagle River for only $800 or so a month. All had email addresses as contact info and nothing else. Scammer?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 AM

868 posts, read 1,216,835 times
Most likely. Email addy only is not the reason, but those prices are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage