U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 41,634 times

Advertisements

Hi.
can you please give me an advice which route to take? how to prepare? etc.
is a block heater necessary? i heard that many cars in Anchorage doesn't have any kind of block heaters

I am going to drive from Los Angeles to Anchorage in this February with my 97 Honda Civic Coupe.

will appreciate your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

9,293 posts, read 19,678,697 times
Drive to Bellingham (WA) then take the ferry. Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Then get a AfterMarket Heater installed when you get to Alaska.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM

19,077 posts, read 14,883,756 times
Good advice above. Driver goes free in winter on the AMHS. Get a small cabin if you want to sleep well. Before you leave Bellingham have them fill the radiator and wiper fluid rated to 80 below or 40 below minimum. I don't think that the AMHS goes to Whittier ( I could be mistaken) in Winter. You would then have to drive from Haines AK to Anchorage. You will cross into Canada and back into the USA. If you have ANY legal stuff including DUI you will NOT be able to go that way into Canada. If you have to drive from Haines to Anchorage you will have to have suitable tires. You can also get those in Bellingham (Discount Tires) and you will want to book your overnights ahead of time. This is a must in the Yukon. It is barren and can be to 70 below zero. If you have not driven in Winter in those conditions I recommend that you ship your vehicle to Anchorage and fly up. It is a fun trip to take any way you choose to go but you must be prepared.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM

863 posts, read 1,916,782 times
There are lots of searchable threads here about making the drive in winter.

About the block heater though, Anchorage is sortof a borderline climate, but it's highly advisable to have one if you're going to live there, especially if you live on the colder east side of town. The reduced wear and tear on your engine IS worth the price of install. Switching to synthetic oil is probably a good idea as well. Even if you decide you don't need a block heater in Anchorage, it limits where you can travel in the wintertime, because anywhere north of town will require one. The general recommendation is to plug your car in when the temp is below 20 degrees (I usually wait till about 10), though occasional cold starts down to zero or so aren't going to really hurt anything. Below about -20 (normal clear mornings in east Anchorage), you're rolling the dice whether your car will start or not.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,027,081 times
I always recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner for the drive up. I've done half a dozen trips between Alaska & Oregon, all in the winter. It's completely doable. Take I-5 to Bellingham and then cut over to Sumas. Take Highway 1 to Cache Creek then get on Highway 97 which becomes Yukon Highway 1 when you cross over into the Yukon Territory from BC.
Driving straight through with no stops I've done it 3 days from Portland. We had two drivers taking turns stopping only for gas and one meal a day.
You'll want to make sure your car has good winter tires on it. Plan your fuel stops carefully. Make sure from Dawson Creek on you fill up often. Don't leave Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Haines Junction or Beaver Creek without a full tank.
Keep extra food and water and warm clothing handy in the car. If you get a flat or stuck in a snow bank, it could be hours before any comes along. Your cell phone will not get a signal for a good chunk of the trip.
Watch for wildlife at all times, especially at night.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM

261 posts, read 467,791 times
Just take the Alaskan Highway and drive on up. It'll be beautiful. Bring food and plenty of stuff to keep warm, drive slow, take it easy, stop and sleep in a hotel at night. Bring all the stuff you think you might need--spare tires, extra gas, shovel, etc. Plan your stops and make sure they're open this time of year. Stay out of the way of trucks.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,620,675 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 3,282,744 times
Drive to LAX, catch a flight.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 PM

36 posts, read 86,395 times
If it is Adventure that you are looking for, then go for it. You will have a blast & remember it for the rest of your life. I've done the trip in a RAV 4, but will not do it again, ever again! My car was a 98 RAV4 in pretty decent shape, but by the time i got to Anchorage, I spent about $1400 in repairs & lots of extra spending on hotel & food.

So, bring extra cash since you will need it! Most of the replies here have pretty much covered how to get to your destination, but I highly recommend driving to Bellingham (WA) & taking the AMHS. You will still have plenty of fun, without the headaches of getting stranded & unnecessary vehicle repairs.

Either have fun & be safe

Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 PM

863 posts, read 1,916,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocharleston View Post
I've done the trip in a RAV 4, but will not do it again, ever again! My car was a 98 RAV4 in pretty decent shape, but by the time i got to Anchorage, I spent about $1400 in repairs & lots of extra spending on hotel & food.
As chance would have it, I also drove up originally in a '98 Rav 4. Just curious, what kind of repairs did yours need? Admittedly, mine was very overloaded and I was in too much hurry, so I think I wore on the suspension quite a bit through those frost heaves between Kluane Lake and the border. No repairs though, and the thing's still going at 300,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage