U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 14,789 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the best 4G & cell service is in Alaska. I am leaning toward AT&T and heard GCI is good but don't know what to expect to pay for a family plan with 2 lines, 4G data on both phones, and 500 mins or so split between the two phones. Any input appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,291,479 times
Give them a call! I used to work here, it's a local company that invests heavily into the state's economy. I couldn't say which company is better as far as service, coverage or price. I never had any problems with them in Anchorage but heard others have. ACS is another local cell phone provider, again can't say which is best. ACS cell phones tend to work better than AT&T in some rural areas quite a ways from urban centers.

GCI - Alaska‘s Largest 3G Network. Wireless Service to residential, commercial, and government customers.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 14,789 times
My phone drowned in a glass of Jack & coke, thus the need for a new phone & carrier. Plan on doing everything online but GCI has no info to compare vs. AT&T. Looking for people with personal experience with either in Anchorage for input. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 PM

My experience was in Anchorage. Even if I hadn't gotten a free Blackberry and service, I would prefer my money to stay in the Alaskan economy. I've dealt with AT&T before but not with 4G. I felt they were a pain to deal with, but then again, GCI doesn't always have stellar customer service either.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM

162 posts, read 328,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
My experience was in Anchorage. Even if I hadn't gotten a free Blackberry and service, I would prefer my money to stay in the Alaskan economy. I've dealt with AT&T before but not with 4G. I felt they were a pain to deal with, but then again, GCI doesn't always have stellar customer service either.
I have been mostly pleased with GCI's service, but you do have to actually go into their store and talk to them.
One time, when I moved to a different apartment I went to GCI and had them do the stuff to change my address and everything. I didn't get a bill at the end of the month so I went to them to talk about it and they swore up and down I was paid up. So I waited, three more months passed and still no bill. Finally I went in and talked to a manager and they realized their mistake- the lady told me I had gotten there just in time because they were going to send me a big ol' bill for like $400. Because of the mixup, they ended up giving me a free month of service which was really nice.
I'd use them for cell service too but I'm under contract with AT&T.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,383,423 times
i have nothing against GCI but we get more services for less money with AT&T and the fact that we travel often means no roaming for us, even on the basic plan.
We have 3 Iphones, 2g data, unlimited text, and unlimited cell to cell calling, plus 450 family share minutes (basically calling land lines) for about $175 a month.

The biggest reason we switched was because GCI did not have good reception in our own home. Dropped calls all the time and never a signal! It was ridiculous! Leave the house and all was fine.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
i have nothing against GCI but we get more services for less money with AT&T and the fact that we travel often means no roaming for us, even on the basic plan.
We have 3 Iphones, 2g data, unlimited text, and unlimited cell to cell calling, plus 450 family share minutes (basically calling land lines) for about $175 a month.

The biggest reason we switched was because GCI did not have good reception in our own home. Dropped calls all the time and never a signal! It was ridiculous! Leave the house and all was fine.
That's pretty bad, I've heard some areas in Anchorage were bad for GCI dropped calls. I never had a problem but I lived over by Arctic Blvd.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,516 times
i too am looking for information on at&t vs gci. for me and my husband it appears gci is much cheaper and has better deals on the phones but my friends with at&t swear up and down that gci is awful. does anyone have any input? how is the cell reception in lower levels of houses and apartments and around town? anchorage.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,361,996 times
Go with AT&T...

Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,212,540 times
GCI loses 4G when you leave the state and has crappy service indoors. I can't use my phone inside my apartment and even in the hallway it drops calls frequently. The best place for me to make calls is outside which is nonsense at -40. It also stopped working in my friend's house in Anchorage.

I'm switching to AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>