U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,751 times

Advertisements

I heard from a friend that it is a nice place to live.. So im considering it.. Just have a few things I'm curious about and wanted to see what the "locals" say.

Where is it? (I know it's close to anchorage but how close?)

Cost of living?

Employment opertunitys?

Summer/Winter temp and weather average (in your opinion such as degree and snowfall)

Plus what's what's there to do? And are the services like any other US city?

And I know that's a lot to ask.. I'm just looking for opinions and I'm doing my own research.

Thanks for your help'
Dev

Edit: You don't need to answer them all just one is fine with me

Last edited by Devin912; 02-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot sonething
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,474,047 times
I'm still figuring Eagle River out myself (I've gotten so far as to take the correct exit anyway *proud*), so can't be of much help. But it's located just outside of Anchorage (still in the municipality, though). From downtown it's about 20 minutes (off peak) to "central" Eagle River.

I think it's mainly military people/families that live there (correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've been told), and the houses seem to be somewhat cheaper and a little bit nicer (for their price) than in Anchorage. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, these are just my subjective observations.

I was told today that in the summertime, E. R. has better weather on average than Girdwood (granted, Girdwood is basically a rain forest area), and that it normally has slightly better (i.e. sunnier) weather than Anchorage. It's only hearsay right now as I haven't been able to find that out for myself.

If it was it's own city it would be the 5th largest in Alaska, so while it's not huge, it's got appr. 75,000 people living there and there's a Walmart, Fred Meyer's, Carrs, photo studio (hehe) etc. etc.

I don't know about sales tax in E. R. If it's in the Anchorage municipality I would believe that it doesn't have it either (esp. since so many military personel live there), but can't say for sure. If it doesn't, groceries etc. shouldn't be more than in Anchorage. (The Fred Meyer's on Soldotna sports higher prices than in Anchorage because of the taxes, that much is for sure.)

Eagle River supposedly has many beautiful areas, including Skyline (fantastic view from the mountain), and a more relaxed feeling than Anchorage. But, you'd only be about 20-40 minutes away if you'd need anything you couldn't find there. Plus, a lot of people commute from E. R. to post and Anchorage.

Hope most of what I wrote was correct, so I don't lead you off too much!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM

17,594 posts, read 13,966,761 times
Drive around Eagle River.

It's low key, few restaurants, no sales tax good services good roads and majestic views.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,561,049 times
It was an interesting place to grow up in the late 60's to when I left in 1981, but has grown up to a ridiculous degree. That said, a fair amount of the folks I knew from first grade on still live there. A decent enough place but I find that the slowest drivers in the planet live there and totally clog up the Artillery road on ramp at the slightest sign of slick, it must take half an hour to get out on bad mornings, and it takes traffic half an hour to get past that same entrance.
That traffic sitaution has been bad for years and yet nothing is ever done. We need to build an Eagle River bypass, or better yet, give the JBER folks a back road entrance so they can go directly from Artillery Road to route Bravo and Poleline. That would solve the prblem right there.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM

536 posts, read 1,559,536 times
All the shopping and businesses are located all the old Glenn Highway. It is pretty much urban sprawl with parking lots, with no real town core. Some residential areas in Eagle River are in fact very nice. There are some great natural settings with stunning views of the Chugach Mtns and lower valley. It does take about 20 minutes to get to Anchorage's downtown. There are numerous chain stores in Eagle River.

Photo Credit: Eagle River Update 2 2008 (AJM NWPJ) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/sets/72157623653720017/with/4087407639/ - broken link)

Eagle River has no services other then a fire department. Police come from Anchorage and the Alaska State Troopers. There is no hospital in Eagle River, but there are clinics. Pretty much all services come from Anchorage, and since Eagle River is considered part of the city of Anchorage, it all comes from there. That said, there is usually a patrol car patrolling the area to keep response times down.

Photo Credit: Anchorage (AJM NWPD) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/sets/72157623205955280/with/5163210973/ - broken link)

As mentioned above, traffic can be tricky here, and when is snows, crews can take their slow sweet time to cleaning things up. They usually would have Artillery Road plowed first, then other major roads. Being further from the urban center of Anchorage, utilities like power, can be slower to get back on if their is ever an outage.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 AM

17 posts, read 79,567 times
We love ER! We moved here in November and are so happy we chose it over Anchorage. It does take about 20+ minutes to get to Anchorage where most of the major activities are but that is no big deal for us. ER has several big chains (McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, etc...) but for anything more serious you would have to go to Anchorage. The commute to ER from Anchorage during rush hour can put your drive time more like 30 minutes and could be better/worse depending on weather and road conditions. There are lots of great houses here and we just settled in to ours in the Eagle Crossing area. Great schools, lots of families, more of a small town feel with easy access to more in Anchorage. Lots of military families, us included!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,123,128 times
Ravenwood Elementary is an impressive school that I can recommend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage