U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM

340 posts, read 884,649 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, have been doing some thinking about where I want to end up after I graduate. I have narrowed it down to North Carolina; Anchorage, AK; or somewhere near the Rocky Mountains. Kind of a high, medium, and low in the interest of climates, but that's all the better!

Anyway, I'm from a city just outside of Detroit, population ~60k, 23.6 sq. miles, and we get the Michigan weather. Hot, humid summers; wet, windy springs; windy, wet falls; and cold, snowy winters (although this winter has been surprisingly mild). My degree will be in Health Policy Studies with a double minor in marketing and HR management, chalk it up to be a public health degree with a focus on administration. I have been looking at UAA for my masters since they do have a Public Administration degree with a Health Administration focus.

[sarcasm] Now for some BLISTERING, completely unasked, insanely hard questions for you natives. [/sarcasm]

1) This one is pretty much for the golfers. How many courses are there? Looks like the season is late May to July/Early August (correct me if I'm wrong). I do like to golf during the summer as well as fish, but mainly golf. Are the courses challenging or pretty easy? I usually shoot in the upper 80s, low 90s for reference (but no official handicap). I have got to say, it would be quite some treat to be able to get maybe 3 rounds of golf in during those long summer days hah

2) How are the healthcare networks there? Are there a decent amount of healthcare facilities? outpatient sites, rehab centers, hospitals, etc. Has the healthcare industry seen decent growth in years past? Maybe the healthcare workers on here can speak to this, but what is the administrative job market for health care systems up there?

3) What is the average commute like... say to Alaska Regional or Providence? I'm coming from a city where my commute is roughly 10 miles. How hard would it be to find a place around that distance? Is the Anchorage comparable in size/infrastructure as my previously listed dimensions/population?

4) Going back to question #1, how far of a travel is it (roughly) to the outdoorsy areas to fish/hunt, etc? I have looked at maps but there's only so much you can learn from an aerial view. I'd like a local's perspective on the distance.

5) Is there a sizable population that is of my age? I just turned 23 and will be moving as a single... hard to find a social life while working full time and going to school full time.

and last but not least

6) From some online resources, it looks like the cost of living is about 15-20% higher in Anchorage than where I'm from. Considering the cost of a studio rental is about 500, a 3 br. house is 750-850/month to rent, and gas is 3.80 (hard to give an estimate with changing prices). Obviously there are many more things to consider, but judging by what I've listed. How does it compare? Also, I will have my car paid off by October and it is a 2010, so I more than likely won't have a car payment. Just 30 grand in student loans (heck, maybe less depending on how these scholarships go).

For anyone who answers, even how short and brief your answer may be, thank you very much. I have been lurking these forums for quite some time before my join date and am eager to learn as much about the city as much as I can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM

2,780 posts, read 5,173,600 times
Golf: I know there's the one on O'Malley. There's also Settler's Bay in Wasilla and the one in Palmer by the airport.

Healthcare: Alaska Regional, Providence, and Alaska Native Medical Center are the three hospitals in town. Providence is by far the biggest.

Any place in Anchorage is 10 - 30 minutes away from anything else in Anchorage. There's a lot people that live in Eagle River, Chugiak or the Mat-Su Valley (Palmer or Wasilla) and commute to Anchorage for work. This can stretch your commute time to an hour if you are coming from Wasilla or Palmer. Eagle River to East Anchorage is just about 15 minutes.

You can fish in downtown Anchorage on Ship Creek. Bird Creek is about 20 minutes south. The Russian River area is about a 2 hour drive south. Willow Creek is about 1 1/2 hours north of Anchorage. For hunting you are looking at a two or three hour drive or more, depending on what you are hunting and where you are going.

Cost is living is higher. Gas is $4.10 right now. Housing is cheaper in Eagle River or the Valley, but then you've got the commute.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,492,483 times
There is also the Military base to consider, they have a very large hospital and 2 golf courses. Worth considering getting a DOD job.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
There is also the Military base to consider, they have a very large hospital and 2 golf courses. Worth considering getting a DOD job.
See I didn't even think about that, that's why I come here. Great suggestion, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Golf: I know there's the one on O'Malley. There's also Settler's Bay in Wasilla and the one in Palmer by the airport.

Healthcare: Alaska Regional, Providence, and Alaska Native Medical Center are the three hospitals in town. Providence is by far the biggest.

Any place in Anchorage is 10 - 30 minutes away from anything else in Anchorage. There's a lot people that live in Eagle River, Chugiak or the Mat-Su Valley (Palmer or Wasilla) and commute to Anchorage for work. This can stretch your commute time to an hour if you are coming from Wasilla or Palmer. Eagle River to East Anchorage is just about 15 minutes.

You can fish in downtown Anchorage on Ship Creek. Bird Creek is about 20 minutes south. The Russian River area is about a 2 hour drive south. Willow Creek is about 1 1/2 hours north of Anchorage. For hunting you are looking at a two or three hour drive or more, depending on what you are hunting and where you are going.

Cost is living is higher. Gas is $4.10 right now. Housing is cheaper in Eagle River or the Valley, but then you've got the commute.
Alright man thanks for the info. Multiple courses, an hour away from anything I want to do. I appreciate your response, you put some thought into it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM

There is also an indoor Golf place on Old Seward down in South Anchorage.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
There is also an indoor Golf place on Old Seward down in South Anchorage.

I'm sold!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM

157 posts, read 224,487 times
Quote:

I have limited knowledge about health care positions on base, but I do know that some positions, such as Social Workers, are not employees. They are independent contractors and I have heard some grumblings about the bennie package. Again, this is second-hand info, but worth investigating.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Sometimes, a job is a job.
Economy is not all peaches and cream here in Alaska.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM

157 posts, read 224,487 times
Quote:

Oh, I quite agree! I only meant for the OP to investigate everything prior to committing to the move.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Heh, you're talking to a guy from a city with a combined tri-county area unemployment rate of 23%...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage