Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 12,508 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share this. I'm sure there are many of us "Lower 48ers" that would be more than happy to contribute (and many have).

However, I would guess that Alaskans themselves would be a bit more hesitant, and would like more info on the Chris McCandles Memorial Foundation. I'm hoping that by posting this here, I can generate more support from native Alaskans, particularly those that might live in the general area of the desolate wilderness which he explored.

Here's the website:

Christopher Johnson McCandless Memorial Fund | Christopher McCandless Charity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,924,704 times
Uh oh.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,318,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferaw View Post
Thought I would share this. I'm sure there are many of us "Lower 48ers" that would be more than happy to contribute (and many have).

However, I would guess that Alaskans themselves would be a bit more hesitant, and would like more info on the Chris McCandles Memorial Foundation. I'm hoping that by posting this here, I can generate more support from native Alaskans, particularly those that might live in the general area of the desolate wilderness which he explored.

Here's the website:

Christopher Johnson McCandless Memorial Fund | Christopher McCandless Charity
Why does the fund need more money?

I would have assumed they already had a ton from the book and movie royalties. What kinds of other stuff do they do to warrant looking at city-data posters and other places for more money?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM

The website doesn't really say, but I think it's a safe assumption that a good portion of the money goes toward helping raise peoples' awareness of the outdoors, nature, and discovery (both of nature and the person within).

I think we can all agree this is what Chris would have wanted.

I had also heard that someone was proposing improvements to the Stampede Trail to allow tourists to visit the memorial bus where he spnt his last days...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,662,638 times
Quote:
I'm hoping that by posting this here, I can generate more support from native Alaskans,
You'd generate more support from native Mongolians than native (any) Alaskans.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The website doesn't really say, but I think it's a safe assumption that a good portion of the money goes toward helping raise peoples' awareness of the outdoors, nature, and discovery (both of nature and the person within).

I had also heard that someone was proposing improvements to the Stampede Trail to allow tourists to visit the memorial bus where he spnt his last days...
I'm not going to pretend to know what Chris would have wanted, but I will say that he did seem to be a person of some integrity. Spamming the internet in an attempt to raise money for some tenuous cause in his name may not be something he'd approve of, if he were here to do so.

I work for my money, as do the other posters here. I doubt that any of of are going to part with any of our loot to assist urban liberals in discovering their "persons within".

Quote:
The website doesn't really say
Then the website's a scam.

If your goal is raising money, you'd have better luck posting this in the California forums. But be advised--your post itself is a violation of the TOS here.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Good point. That was never my intention, I was just pointing out the site to people. Not trying to raise money at all.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Then what are you trying to do here?

Since you're here, though, let's discuss your use of adjectives.

Quote:
desolate wilderness
I think that you probably typed this because it's a widely used cliche, rather than it being your own personal observation that the area around the famed bus is "desolate."

What does "desolate" mean?

Let's take a look at the meaning of this word when used as an adjective:

Quote:
: devoid of inhabitants and visitors : deserted
: joyless, disconsolate, and sorrowful through or as if through separation from a loved one <a desolate widow>
a : showing the effects of abandonment and neglect : dilapidated <a desolate old house> b : barren, lifeless <a desolate landscape> c : devoid of warmth, comfort, or hope : gloomy <desolate memories>
I doubt that anyone who's ever been to the place in question would describe it as such.

So here's a tip: Avoid cliches in your writing, particularly when trying to glean interest about a particular geographical location.

And work on your own "wilderness awareness", because the place that you're talking about it anything but.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,662,638 times
Quote:

The primary focus of our charitable giving is children in need, world wide.

Christopher Johnson McCandless Memorial Foundation Mission Statement

Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,729,406 times
As If!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage