Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,730 times

Advertisements

My housband and I are thinking about.moving to anchorage we have three small children ages five and under. My husband and I are entry level workers with management and construction expierence. We are a lower income family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Oh boy, I can just see some of the responses now. Have you any more information to share? Just how low is your low income? Alaska is an expensive place to live. Everything has to be shipped in. And would you be able to cope with winters that feature very short hours of daylight, consistently sub freezing temperatures and lots of snow? And short, mild summers? (I understand late summer and fall there can be particularly rainy too. In fact I've even heard the nickname "Rainchorage" for the city on a few occasions).

Most people here will tell you to visit first. Make at least two visits, one in winter, and one in summer, (it seems, at least to me, that Alaska in winter and Alaska in summer are two different worlds, each wonderful and beautiful in their own ways!) and take time to check out Anchorage as well as other areas to get a feel as to which, if any, will be the best fit. Make the rounds between Anchorage and Fairbanks, checking out other towns along the way. If nothing more, making these trips will afford you to see first hand some of the most drop dead gorgeous scenery in these United States.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckenna5 View Post
Is moving to anchorage a good idea for a young family of five

My housband and I are thinking about.moving to anchorage we have three small children ages five and under. My husband and I are entry level workers with management and construction expierence. We are a lower income family.
Just going on the minimal information given in this post, the answer is an unequivocal NO!

Care to offer more information?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 AM

My work expierence is from being in management in a convience store my last hourly wage was $13 an hour and my husband is a skilled roofer pay was based on the job I would put our combined income to be about $30,000

Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
My work expierence is from being in management in a convience store my last hourly wage was $13 an hour and my husband is a skilled roofer pay was based on the job I would put our combined income to be about $30,000
I don't think I'd try to raise three kids on twice that amount up here. It sounds like you need to live somewhere with a year-round construction season and a very low cost of living. Anchorage doesn't have either of those. I know times are tough in a lot of places right now, but moving up here would probably just make things tougher for you guys.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 AM

Ok thanks.........im wondering what is the average gost of living there rent and hourly rate of pay

Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 AM

*cost

Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Ok thanks.........im wondering what is the average gost of living there rent and hourly rate of pay
I made way more than 30K per year and had a very hard time surviving. The cheapest rent you probably would find would probably be 800-850 per month for a 2 bedroom. I don't know what daycare is but even if you got daycare assistance you'd have to pay 15% of your income. Low income apartments have very long waiting lists. I really do not recommend moving to Anchorage. Hourly rate of pay for entry level jobs don't even come close to paying the bills.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 AM

340 posts, read 914,058 times
Quote:
It's also not just rent, from the research I've done EVERYTHING is more costly up there. Housing is a large chunk of the increased cost, but the logistics of getting things up there imposes large markups on everyday things.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
The cost of living is more expensive here... And while our economy has done better than the rest of the nation, jobs are still tight.
I always suggest a visit or two before moving. Obviously that's probably not feasible for you. I also always suggest having plenty of cash reserves in case it takes awhile to find a job. Also most apartments require first/last month's rent plus a deposit.
And I think some solid job leads would also be a must before making the move.
If things don't work out, it can be expensive to get back out of here.
Good luck in whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage