U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM

26 posts, read 57,282 times

Advertisements

We've been here a a year and have tried TONS of restaurants. Almost everything has been gross, gross, gross. The only place we have had reliably good meals is Simon's but it's rather $$$. There *has* to be good food somewhere in this town, right??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 36,344,931 times
Alaskabites -

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,497,575 times
I know of a handful. We have eaten at about 60 different restaurants in town and you're right, most pretty much suck.

Pho Siagon
Thai Village
Villa Nova
Long Branch
Samari Sushi

are a few decent ones, I have dinner beeping............

Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,872,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akquestions View Post
We've been here a a year and have tried TONS of restaurants. Almost everything has been gross, gross, gross. The only place we have had reliably good meals is Simon's but it's rather $$$. There *has* to be good food somewhere in this town, right??
Where are you from and what do you consider a good restaurant? When we visited Long Island I loved all the diners and fantastic places to eat.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,005,208 times
We like Little Italy, New Amsterdam Cafe, Terra Bella, and Midnight Sun Brewery.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM

58 posts, read 123,083 times
I go to Jimmy's Sushi every time I'm in town.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 PM

868 posts, read 1,330,297 times
It depends on what you like. I have found Anchorage to be a sushi lover's paradise. We have some pretty good Thai food here, too.

A few favorites:

Samurai Sushi.
Haru Sushi. Get the Sexy Roll. You will leave full, that sucker is huge.
Thai Siam.
Pho Jula and Thai. This little place is fairly new and still working out some issues with delivery, but the food is amazing, and they give you soup and salad with take-out, which is rare. They are also very, very nice people.
Larry's Cocoon. Creative Asian fusion. Ask for a current menu, they like to change things up. They will also tweak the current offerings a bit for you, if they have the ingredients on hand.
China Town. The best dishes are on the Chinese menu, although nothing here is bad. Portions are generous.
Terra Bella. Seconding tigre79 here, they have wonderful soups, pastries, sandwiches, and salads.
Moose's Tooth for pizza. I think it is a criminal offense to not eat here at least once.
Capri for pizza. Try the salmon pizza, it's semi-famous!
Tommy's Burger Stop, when you want a burger that will live on in your dreams.

I don't currently have reliable transportation, other than the bus and my feet, so I am sure I've missed a lot of wonderful places, but these are a few that have never failed to please.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,497,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
We like Little Italy, New Amsterdam Cafe, Terra Bella, and Midnight Sun Brewery.

Is that the same as Cafe Amsterdam on Benson in the Metro Mall?
We ate there and it was decent.

Luigi's Pizza is really good too and I like Ernesto's Mexican but it's been really hard to find decent Mexican for dinners around here. The grilled cheese at Kinsley's is amazing so is their bacon wrapped dates.
Moose's Tooth is good but the wait drives me away every time.
The Seafood Chowder at the Glacier Brewhouse is yummy!!!

I can tell you which places to avoid! LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 AM

868 posts, read 1,330,297 times
The place I am itching to try: Snow City. I hear wonderful things about them.

Maybe tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 AM

3,344 posts, read 5,258,114 times
Sicily's Pizza is the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage