Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,032,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing_The_Greatland View Post
I lived in Anchorage for 16 years and then two years in the Valley, but moved back east to CT due to family obligations. I also lived in Bothell, WA for about a year and visited Seattle frequently. So, I understand how you feel. I do believe that people either love Anchorage or they hate it - no in betweens.
Well, I am definitely one of those in the middle. I love living in Alaska, but I don't necessarily feel the same about Anchorage. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely a lot of worse places to live than Anchorage, but there are also a lot of things missing (such as better food/more variety) that could make it a much better place as well. So grading on a scale, for me Anchorage falls squarely in the middle. It's what's outside of Anchorage that makes it all worth it IMO.

In other words, i didn't move here to live in Anchorage, I came here to live in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM

868 posts, read 1,429,103 times
It sounds to me like you have a family who loves you. Possessed of such a treasure, how could you be unhappy anywhere?

I'm relatively new to Alaska, and to Anchorage. My impressions are that if you love city life, Anchorage is a poor compromise, and that if you love Alaska, Anchorage is a poor compromise. I suspect both are true.

If you are surrounded by people you love, who love you in return, does it matter? There are good things and bad things about any place your feet may carry you. Seek the good, avoid the bad when you can, and be glad of your companions on the journey. Surely this place has some redeeming qualities. It is up to you now to find them.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
I used to despise Anchorage. But I've learned to tolerate it thanks to the Mrs.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
My impressions are that if you love city life, Anchorage is a poor compromise, and that if you love Alaska, Anchorage is a poor compromise. I suspect both are true.
Pretty much sums it up, I think.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM

635 posts, read 1,657,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akquestions View Post
We moved here a year ago, and if I can be perfectly honest, I really hate it here. It seems most of the people on this board really like it though. Is there anyone else out there who lives here and wants to leave? Or used to live here but managed to get out?

We came from the Seattle area and I loved it down there. I would LOVE to move back but my husband wants to stay here. Ugh...
Have you made any friends? Do you have any outdoor activies or indoor that you do with others? It is harder for some to adjust to new situations. If you feel isolated and alone...you will not be happy. Do you have a hard time with "change" and learning new things?

I moved to SW MO back in 1989 and I'll tell ya....I'm not going to brag about Missouri but I do have friends and found some things that I really like here. The winters are unpredictable and the summers make me curse like a sailor but I've made it my home for 23 years.

Sounds like you didn't want to move to begin with...is that right? If that is true than you have not opened yourself up to "liking it" from the beginning. Either way...Good Luck and I hope you can get happy again wherever you are.

Some people have a hard time with seasonal depression, long hours of darkness. It can definitely affect our outlook on things.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akquestions View Post
We moved here a year ago, and if I can be perfectly honest, I really hate it here. It seems most of the people on this board really like it though. Is there anyone else out there who lives here and wants to leave? Or used to live here but managed to get out?

We came from the Seattle area and I loved it down there. I would LOVE to move back but my husband wants to stay here. Ugh...

I love Alaska, grew up in Anchorage and to me it has nothing in common with Alaska. It has so many new People that came to Alaska for a new start and want to make it like where they came from.

Alaska is only 30 min's by air out of Anchorage!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM

635 posts, read 1,657,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I love Alaska, grew up in Anchorage and to me it has nothing in common with Alaska. It has so many new People that came to Alaska for a new start and want to make it like where they came from.

So where do you think a "newbie" could get the best of both worlds? Close to the "city" yet feel like your in the "real" Alaska? I'm looking into the Wasilla/Palmer or Kenai Peninsula areas. Wasilla would be close enough to the city but outside enough to get an idea of what Alaska is about. What do you think?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times
I'm not sure I could live in Anchorage, but I do love living in the Valley.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,237,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
It sounds to me like you have a family who loves you.
I'm curious as to where you picked this up? I cannot see any reference to this in her posts. Sounds more like she's alone with the (challenging) kids and he's off to work. She didn't even say "I'd never leave him" when someone suggested it.

If I loved someone I would feel horrible about keeping them living in a place they hate just because I love it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It's not too far by car either. The only problem is that to get to Alaska north of Anchorage, one has no alternative but to drive through the Mad-Zoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage