Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM

43 posts, read 138,720 times

Advertisements

I LOVE ALASKA! ANC, Fairbanks, Juneau, Ketchikan.....any city, any way, ANYTIME! For those of you who are blessed enough to live in this literal slice of Heaven, I am infinitely jealous! (alpine beauty, hiking, great hunting, terrific people...in essence, Paradise!) I spend every minute of vacation time there, and I love it so.

Anyone wanna switch for a bit? I'm in Florida.

That being said, I'm still just a starry-eyed vacationer...but I wanted to throw the positive energy out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,719,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
Interesting views here.
Am I correct in believing that Fairbanks is considered more what "real Alaska" is like than Anchorage?

I believe that Fairbanks is more "Alaskan" then Anchorage! Yes in deed. But "Real Alaska"? what is your definition of "Real Alaska"?

To me, I think a town like Bethel, Nome or Dillingham would better represent "Alaska" but I've never been there so It's hard to say.
Fairbanks is certainly more rustic and more rural. People think differently there. Anchorage, to me, is just like any other bigger city in the US only we have Alaska in our backyard.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I believe that Fairbanks is more "Alaskan" then Anchorage! Yes in deed. But "Real Alaska"? what is your definition of "Real Alaska"?

To me, I think a town like Bethel, Nome or Dillingham would better represent "Alaska" but I've never been there so It's hard to say.
Fairbanks is certainly more rustic and more rural. People think differently there. Anchorage, to me, is just like any other bigger city in the US only we have Alaska in our backyard.
Yes, by "Alaskan" standards, Anchorage is New York or L.A. but to those of us from the lower 48, especially back East or the Midwest (like New York, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, or The Cities), Anchorage is a very poor facsimile of a "city", in terms of amenities.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yes, by "Alaskan" standards, Anchorage is New York or L.A. but to those of us from the lower 48, especially back East or the Midwest (like New York, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, or The Cities), Anchorage is a very poor facsimile of a "city", in terms of amenities.
Cesspools of humanity. Just like sardines packed tightly in a can with mustard sauce.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 106,618 times
Default Plus and Minuses of ANC

Anchorage has many good things going for it. My biggest beef with ANC is the property tax I pay, which 2/3 goes to fund the Carol Comeau empire. I didn't get to take advantage of because my kid went to private school. On the flip side, if I was on public assistance and had 12 kids to send through school, it would be a good deal.

My other beef would be the tarp nazi's at the landfill. You locals know what I mean....

Oh, and maybe the daily Glenn Hwy 500 commute with the valley trash johnny speed racer lane dodgers in their $300 Neons or rusty Jim Creek specials with the 38" tires who try to be the first place winner at the Airport Heights stop light everyday.

Can we say Valley Trash on this forum?

Having the Chugach as a backyard, clean lakes, trails, decent urban fishing opportunities, quality healthcare providers, a great University (UAA), great airport, awesome views, clean air, family wage earner jobs........ Its a good place to raise a family.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,447,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaldust View Post
Anchorage has many good things going for it. My biggest beef with ANC is the property tax I pay, which 2/3 goes to fund the Carol Comeau empire. I didn't get to take advantage of because my kid went to private school. On the flip side, if I was on public assistance and had 12 kids to send through school, it would be a good deal.

My other beef would be the tarp nazi's at the landfill. You locals know what I mean....

Oh, and maybe the daily Glenn Hwy 500 commute with the valley trash johnny speed racer lane dodgers in their $300 Neons or rusty Jim Creek specials with the 38" tires who try to be the first place winner at the Airport Heights stop light everyday.

Can we say Valley Trash on this forum?
Having the Chugach as a backyard, clean lakes, trails, decent urban fishing opportunities, quality healthcare providers, a great University (UAA), great airport, awesome views, clean air, family wage earner jobs........ Its a good place to raise a family.

I happen to live in the Valley and I am NOT valley trash anymore then you are Los Anchorage or Chugach trash......are we allowed to say non-valley trash on the forum? I use to travel the Glenn daily for work and I don't recall any $300 Neons or rusty Jim Creek specials. Most of the vehicles I saw were fairly new. Have you taken note of those wonderful Los Anchorage drivers who love to run lights, run stop signs and speed! My my, so many complaints!

It's one thing to complain but when you start the name calling .......

Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaldust View Post
No kidding...and they have recently gotten even worse. Now I can't even take my pickup to the "regular" side of the transfer station anymore because it has a utility bed and is considered a "modified" pickup. I tried to explain to the "employee" (being polite) there that a utility bed actually has LESS open cargo capacity than a regular pickup since the open part of the bed is only 4 ft wide, as opposed to 5 1/2 ft - and I'm not a business, this is still just regular trash from my house. All I got back was a blank stare. Now I have to go to the side with the big trash trucks and get weighed in and out, just to drop off a couple hundred pounds of household junk. And of course it costs more too $21 vs. $16.

Oh and after I jumped through all of their hoops the first time - sorry, you still can't get out of your vehicle without a safety vest (which we will gladly sell to you for another $10)!

FFS!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 06-08-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,892,344 times
Transfer sites are free in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. I wish we had some further south.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Transfer sites are free in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. I wish we had some further south.
It is $5 for a pick-up load of household trash, or less than 400 pounds at the Palmer/Wasilla landfill. $10 if you go over 400 pounds. They weigh every vehicle that enters and leaves.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:55 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,719,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post

I so miss that! Crazy as it sounds but there were some awesome stuff to be found at the Transfer site. Now all we have is high priced Thrift Stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage