Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akquestions View Post
We moved here a year ago, and if I can be perfectly honest, I really hate it here. It seems most of the people on this board really like it though. Is there anyone else out there who lives here and wants to leave? Or used to live here but managed to get out?

We came from the Seattle area and I loved it down there. I would LOVE to move back but my husband wants to stay here. Ugh...
I came from Oregon. You can read my long rant on page 6. This is a very unlike able "city"! You're not crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainershine23 View Post
This may be the all time worst city in the U.S., possibly the world. I don't even know where to begin. I would die happy if I never had to see another goose-down "over-skirt" that cost $300, on a middle age woman. If you don't live here, you can't imagine what it's like to traverse through snow mazes and sheets of crackling ice in April (after having done it the past 7 months). The only living creatures I ever see in this place are ravens (for a few months you may see the little sweet singing ones), a reindeer downtown, the poor horse that is forced to pull tourists around the Captain Cook, and a few ancient (as in prehistoric looking) moose crossing roads with looks on their faces that seem to say, "Where the f have I landed and how do I keep on moving away?"
Besides the ugly, mismatched buildings that literally look like god from the 80s threw them down randomly from the sky and let them land, the locally proclaimed "pristine" coastal trail is nothing more than some pavement next to some mud flats that you can't go on for fear of sinking. To all the people that have always lived here and call this area "the great outdoors," THIS PLACE SUCKS ASS!!!!
There are no hot springs, real beaches or ocean, hiking trails with actual REAL TREES, moss, and forest smells. There are no rivers or lakes that you can actually swim in. There are no waves to surf.
It is truly the only place I have ever lived where I cannot feel the land or the earth at all. The only vague feeling I get from it, at times (during the winter) is a subtle shoving feeling as though it's trying to push me down and crack my bones. I hate the snow. It's suffocating and endless and not romantic and not pretty.
Ok. Geography and outdoors, now onto the people and social life. Even writing that looks funny. Besides the "group people" that seem to get off by going to REI meetings and knitting clubs, it seems that the main things people do here are winter sports (hate them), church (no), crafts (no), or drinking every night. The Bear Tooth is ok, but only in this god-forsaken city will you see a line of idiots a mile long standing outside it in 10 degree weather waiting to get into a three-month old movie because there is literally NOTHING else to do. This is also the only place I've ever lived (it's been nearly two years now), where I have not made ONE friend outside my job. People here do not talk to eachother. There are no real neighborhoods. The "neighborhoods" are so class stratified, that children and the elderly seem to be cut off from the working professionals. I have not seen one child playing in my neighborhood. Nor have I seen anyone over the age of 50. Everyone here in my hood are white, working professionals between the ages of 30-50...yawn. Most go to church and yoga and walk their dogs at the same times each day...yawn.
There are no children, no punks, no hippies, no elderly, no blacks, no people with really shiny eyes...sometimes living in this place, I feel like I'm on the Walking Dead.
I absolutely LOVE my job and so will try to make it one more year. I know I need to change my perspective of this place, but I truly don't know what do first, or how to change it.
When people from here ask me how I like Anchorage and I tell them, they immediately ask me, "Well, what do you like to do?"
Well, I don't like to do things with random groups of strangers (the much talked about "meet up groups" Anchoragites will tell you about). I like to have the option to hang with friends. I like to walk on the beach. I love swimming in the green Nehalem River. I like having BBQd salmon with my friends in Wheeler. I like going to the hot springs. I like yoga. I like hiking over Neahkanie mountain and never even thinking about bears! I like playing video poker sometimes and winning $100.00 on Divinchi Diamonds. I like taking road trips to different cities and states. I like buying a plane ticket to visit friends in Philly or Phoenix and paying much less than $500.00 round trip.
Anchorage, I do love to hate you. I don't know how to stop.
I think it's good that you posted this. It gives a good perspective to those who want to move to Anchorage because they think it's a modern day Garden of Eden.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,315,298 times
Anchorage as a city ? Yes, it leaves much to be desired if one is pretentious metropolitan pansy. Anchorage as a location is incomparable, it is postcard picture perfect . Centraly located to worldclass recreation and scenery.

If you hate it, leave it. I am certain it will not miss you.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,032,879 times
Quote:
where I have not made ONE friend outside my job...Everyone here in my hood are white, working professionals between the ages of 30-50...yawn. Most go to church and yoga and walk their dogs at the same times each day...yawn..
I would imagine that being a shallow, judgemental, stereotyping, bigot probably has something to do with your inability to make friends.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,181,427 times
As they say about Anchorage "it's only 15 minutes from Alaska". One finds that you do have to make your own fun in Anchorage and Alaska in general, if you expect to be spoon fed entertainment you won't be happy here. And if you are sensitive to weather in general, you won't like it here. The global warming that made southcentral AK a much pleasanter place to be in the early part of the century has reversed and we're back to the classic winters of my youth.

It would be smart to have an escape plan. Don't be a "sourdough", sour on the place but lacking the dough to leave.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 31,904 times
Quote:
There are no real neighborhoods. The "neighborhoods" are so class stratified, that children and the elderly seem to be cut off from the working professionals. I have not seen one child playing in my neighborhood. Nor have I seen anyone over the age of 50. Everyone here in my hood are white, working professionals between the ages of 30-50...yawn.
It seems like you found a place to live before you checked out the neighborhoods. My neighborhood has whites, blacks, Samoans, Natives, Hispanics, and lots of kids. And they walk and bike around. Anchorage has the three most diverse Census Tracts in the US. Try riding the bus to see a diverse set of people. I'd strongly suggest you head over to Out North and see what all they are up to. They'd love another volunteer - if you can channel your frustration into constructive and creative help. (That would be good for you and them.) They serve a diverse arts community of all ages and cultural traditions.

Quote:
Well, I don't like to do things with random groups of strangers (the much talked about "meet up groups" Anchoragites will tell you about). I like to have the option to hang with friends. I like to walk on the beach. I love swimming in the green Nehalem River. I like having BBQd salmon with my friends in Wheeler. I like going to the hot springs. I like yoga. I like hiking over Neahkanie mountain and never even thinking about bears! I like playing video poker sometimes and winning $100.00 on Divinchi Diamonds. I like taking road trips to different cities and states. I like buying a plane ticket to visit friends in Philly or Phoenix and paying much less than $500.00 round trip.
It really sounds like you're homesick and upset that Anchorage isn't Oregon. We don't have your very specific mountain. But we have incredible mountains and you're not likely to ever see a bear. We don't have the beaches you're used to. But there's a nice sandy one down the bike trail from Kincaid Chalet. We don't have your hot springs, but Fairbanks has Chena Hot Springs nearby. You certainly can have BBQ salmon here, but I'm afraid Wheeler can't be transplanted. Try going kayaking in Seward. Or visit Hope on a summer weekend and stay over Saturday night. And, if you don't know people here, you're just going to have to talk to some future friends (ie strangers now) first. It takes time to make friends and people who like Anchorage will get tired pretty quickly if you're complaining . And making friends with others who hate Anchorage will only reinforce how you feel. You don't have to lie. Tell people you want to like Anchorage, but you miss your friends back home. Everyone can relate to that. Even Alaska Natives miss their friends back in the villages.

Again, if you want to see a diverse set of folks go hang out at Out North - or some other place whose vibes you like. You will find people you like and who like you. And you can make a contribution. And when your last year at work is up, you'll be conflicted about leaving. That'd be a good problem.

I wish you all the best. But when you return south, please do tell everyone how terrible Anchorage is. It's getting pretty crowded already.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Don't go away mad. Just go away.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 AM

81 posts, read 214,851 times
No hot springs and moss?!? The horror!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what??? View Post
No hot springs and moss?!? The horror!
I saw some moss in the arts & craft section of Walmart in midtown earlier in the week. Maybe they just aren't looking hard enough. As for Seattle, it's an overcrowded concrete jungle of humanity. Nice airport to make connections through but that's about it.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times
Simply drive down to Girdwood & hike the old growth rain forest trail, Winner Creek, for some moss.

Anyone who says there are no hiking trails with real trees around Anchorage has not gotten out & about.

Anchorage School District has around 90 home languages spoken among their students, one of the most diverse populations anywhere, every shade of color imaginable.

I do agree, however, that Anchorage is most certainly architecturely challenged. Unfortunately, 9.2 earthquakes tend to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage