Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have news for you, if you live in Anchorage then you STILL live in the States.
+1...and Fairbanks is trying to catch up too. A Pier 1 Imports is being built right now. Now that's something we really need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM

287 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
+1...and Fairbanks is trying to catch up too. A Pier 1 Imports is being built right now. Now that's something we really need!
Oh yeah, yet another company selling cheap Chinese made import crap for a way higher price than it cost to pay slave labor to make while they pay the store employees minimum wage+... maybe if they're lucky.

Instead of selling an American made product and strengthening our economy... But that's just as much an issue for the people buying from them...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
LOL! For some unknown reason wicker furniture in Fairbanks strikes me as funny, and certainly out of character for the place, a.k.a. genius loci.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have news for you, if you live in Anchorage then you STILL live in the States.

He's still thinkind with a typical -48 attitude, Glitch so don't hit yourself too hard because there will be many more to come. Whatever happened to Geology classes? History? Current events? Ahhhh the joys of public education

Last edited by AlaskaNana; 09-20-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
He's still thinkind with a typical -48 attitude, Glitch so don't hit yourself too hard because there will be many more to come. Whatever happened to Geology classes? History? Current events? Ahhhh the joys of public education
Don't you actually live in the -48?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Both. Have an place on the Penn and and own places in the -48. My thoughts feelings and lifestyle are much more connected to Ak than elsewhere. In the -48 I am an oddity since I don't live the "normal" lifestyle. I live a lot off the land. Live with minimal utilities to off-grid, depends where I am at, and am self-reliant. I origanally came to Ak in 1978 and have been in Ak off and on since. My 'home of record" is Ak and I consider myself to be an Alaskan, even if I was a transplant. So if having places elsewhere, and subsequently going back and forth, makes me a -48er in your eyes then I guess I am a -48er to you. Being an only child with an ailing mom who has Altheimers means I do not have the luxury to be in Ak 365 days a year. In the next couple of years, once the places in the -48 are sold and my mom is no longer a factor, I will be ONLY in Ak. So for now I straddle the borders. I do recall others who have multiple locations, including Ak.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Regardless of whether you are "connected" to Alaska, between you who currently lives in the lower 48 and Glitch who lives in Wasilla, which is increasingly a bedroom community for Anchorage, neither of you is exactly out wrestling polar bears. You should probably lay off IndianaMatt, on the glass houses principle.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Regardless of whether you are "connected" to Alaska, between you who currently lives in the lower 48 and Glitch who lives in Wasilla, which is increasingly a bedroom community for Anchorage, neither of you is exactly out wrestling polar bears. You should probably lay off IndianaMatt, on the glass houses principle.
Let me guess, you ARE out their wrestling polar bears, right?

Or are you one of those morons who does not think Alaska is part of the United States?

There is nothing more pathetic than someone who has frostbite on the brain. Clearly you need a vacation to a warmer climate to thaw out.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM

I'm sure that sounded clever in your head.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Well I am not wrestling polar bears but I do think my main place to live being on the Penn does not make me a -48er and you seem to have picked out one part to focus on ... my "connection" line, which I probably should have left out. I would say my home being Ak and the other places just places to go does NOT make me a -48er. Yeah I have lived in Anc and Tok, but am now on the Penn and yes it is not the interior but I don't think that makes you more of an Alaskan than others of us who don't live in the Interior. Do you actually live off the land and don't buy any of your food or are you like most of us and buy what you have to and raise, hunt, fish for what you can? If you are able to TOTALLY live off the land and off=grid more power to you. I for one am not totally able to.

Furthermore the original comment was basically along the lines that people, for whatever reason, seem to place Alaska as some foreign entity. And it was half in humor, but all too true, and something no one but you took offense to.

Using your "where you live in Ak" theory I would venture to say that a lot of us do not fit your "Alaskan" qualifications of you have to be "out wrestling polar bears" philosophy. Oh and by the way I spent part of the summer on the Penn and will probably spend a chunk of the winter also. I am in Ak as much as possible and if the fact that I have to travel outside removes my Alaskan Citizenship then I guess I am a person without a state.

May I have to your permission to go to Wa to see my new grandbaby in Oct and my grandsons for Christmas?

Last edited by AlaskaNana; 09-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: permission request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage