Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,603,050 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just want to start this cover-all thread on dogs with a question: When we've gotten dogs for the house, they've only obeyed me when my mother is not home, otherwise it's like I don't exist! The only exception would be when we got "Luna," "Wolfy," affectionately, that it was the other way around. Mother got rid of that one because of that after a year. I raised her from a pup... So it still stings two years later. What I was wondering is if wolf-hybrids are good for sledding and why the dogs at home, mostly, at least, obey mother rather than both mother and me?

🐶
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,693 times
My sister's dog follows whoever is home that does the most to take care of it. When she's home, the dog follows her. When she's out the dog follows her husband. When they're both out it follows one of their kids.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,873,194 times
Wolf hybrids are illegal in Alaska. The only ones that are allowed are ones that were born before the law was passed, and are neutered/spayed and officially registered.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Uhhh....

The dogs are obeying your mother because they recognize her as the alpha. If you don't know what that term means, you've got no business having a hybrid in your home.

Frostnip is right; wolf hybrids are illegal in the state of Alaska, although I see by your profile that you live in Louisiana. Have you and Mother recently moved to Alaska? Are you possibly confusing wolf hybrids with various sled dog breeds and breed mixtures?

Because wolf hybrids are often sad creatures that belong in neither world, they need human families with superior animal-handling skills if they're going to be marginally happy and comfortable.

Quote:
Mother got rid of that one because of that after a year. I raised her from a pup...
Mother sounds as if she believes that canine companions are accessories to "get rid of" on a whim. I think that Mother needs to find a new interest, and you should wait until you're grown up, out of the house and able to provide a secure, long term home for an animal before you bring one into your life.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-28-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM

We still live in Louisiana, but Alaska is what my ultimate destination is. I have a handful of reasons for going there, one of them being that living away from my mother is, at least in my book, a declaration of independence. I am aware of Alpha status, so it puzzled me that the hybrid regocognized me instead of my mother… I paid for that one with my first paycheck, but I doubt the wolf had a grasp of that. As for the legality of wolfs and wolf-hybrids (Luna was 97% pure, as the mother was 94% pure and the father was 100% pure according to the owner of the pair.), it is illegal inside city limits but extralegal in the country. I live in the country by legal definition as the area of my residence is not inside the city limits… Haughton isnt of sufficient size to be a city… just a small town. Even my uncle confirmed I would be in the clear and he is a policeman. I personally think anything more than city-limit regulation is too much. I assumed AK used a similar method, but I guess I was wrong. I will ask for clarity, though, is it like here where it is only enforced inside cities?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
If you're asking whether you can own a hybrid anywhere in Alaska, the answer is no. You should also realize this -- many vets will not treat a wolf hybrid in Alaska unless conditions like the ones described by Frostnip apply, so getting one on the sly isn't fair to the animal.

Your Luna may have recognized Mother as the pack alpha yet preferred your company as just another "packmate." Also, keep in mind that unscrupulous sellers often claim that dogs are wolf hybrids simply to get a higher price for them.

Look, I own a wolf hybrid myself, and although he's had a good life with me, I'm against them being used as pets. Again, many of them belong nowhere -- not with the wild wolves or with humans in a domestic situation. There is always that part of them that wants to be free.

If you like the look of wolf-dogs, you should consider getting a McKenzie River Husky after you establish yourself in Alaska. It's a Canadian breed and they're great dogs. Keep in mind, though, that any type of dog bred for sled use is going to have to be allowed to get out and run at least once per day.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 PM

And not just in a fenced-in yard or along with you on a jog or whatever, and of course letting them run loose is unethical. They need serious exercise and it's a serious commitment.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you're asking whether you can own a hybrid anywhere in Alaska, the answer is no. You should also realize this -- many vets will not treat a wolf hybrid in Alaska unless conditions like the ones described by Frostnip apply, so getting one on the sly isn't fair to the animal.
Not to mention that if it is discovered, which it will be, because Alaskans talk, the animal will be seized and possibly also destroyed.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Your Luna may have recognized Mother as the pack alpha yet preferred your company as just another "packmate." Also, keep in mind that unscrupulous sellers often claim that dogs are wolf hybrids simply to get a higher price for them.

Look, I own a wolf hybrid myself, and although he's had a good life with me, I'm against them being used as pets. Again, many of them belong nowhere -- not with the wild wolves or with humans in a domestic situation. There is always that part of them that wants to be free.

If you like the look of wolf-dogs, you should consider getting a McKenzie River Husky after you establish yourself in Alaska. It's a Canadian breed and they're great dogs. Keep in mind, though, that any type of dog bred for sled use is going to have to be allowed to get out and run at least once per day.
Well, I'll end up with the McKenzie, then…. I'm plagued with low energy levels, but since mother got back on a dog-buying kick (she goes through cycles), my energy has improved despite my getting less rest. I postulate that the higher energy dog that I'm obligated to, the more my energy level will improve. I blame part of my problem on one the sixty or so pills I take a day for nearly every problem I have ( I'm anti-drug, so having to take that many is a real drag), but part of it is definately my lack of things to do besides care to a struggling lawn care business (two lawns… I started a little too late, so everyone is already stuck with contracts from big lawn care bussinesses, so I need to go earlier next year…), and school, I haven't done much since they developed my haunt in the woods behind our house… and, against how I may appear online, I'm not exactly a real life socialite. I guess I'm saying that at least in part, I really am only as Energetic as the amount I am on average, and when I do have a chance to explore and hike I'm frustrated by how fast I seem to flake out…. This thread has helped me solve one of my problems… thank you.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes, I will probably get the McKenzie as I don't nessessarily need a wolf I couldnt give proper care to, and as I love that look and I really like high energy dogs… I thank you again for the help.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Not to mention that if it is discovered, which it will be, because Alaskans talk, the animal will be seized and possibly also destroyed.
Now that just sounds horrible… I will definately get a McKenzie… I coudn't go through that with an animal I love. I will only get an animal that I can be sure is able to live a full, healthy, happy life and that will obligate me to higher levels of activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage