Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Still waiting for stiffnecked to comment.
Sorry, it's not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
Hehe, thanks for that story.
I'm not sure of why the reaction some here have to my question.
Maybe the locals in Anchorage don't want to promote that type of activity. I have never lived in Anchorage(or visited the city - for that matter) - but I could give you an intersection and/or area that would fit the criteria that you are looking for. This area of the city is rather well known - and I am certain that their are other less well known "red light districts" that I am unaware of. The reason people won't answer your question directly is that anyone who really wants to know where those areas are located - will find out without asking a question on an online forum - and because they do not want to draw more crime to their city.

If you really want to know where the red light districts in Anchorage are located - it isn't difficult. I wasn't even trying to find out that specific information and have never stepped foot in Alaska and I learned where they are just by reading some books.

It is amazing how much people were able to learn before websites proliferated.

No - I will not cite my sources. Suffice it to say - that if you really want to know and have some basic knowledge of the subject - you will find those books yourself.

I may relocate to Alaska - I certainly don't want to alienate the current residents by telling other outsiders where to find illicit sex. Shoot - I have already come down on the wrong side of McCandless it seems - yet I have found some grudging respect with certain individuals who slammed me on that topic.

Go figure.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,816,675 times
Open prostitution used to be rampant when I first moved to Anchorage from Juneau in February 1985. It was in our face daily and pretty much open along every commercial corridor. It was discouraging to me personally as a woman. Because I drove a nice car at the time, the ladies (and I use this term euphemistically) flashed me constantly thinking I might be male as I drove toward them. Not! It made me sad to see men in obviously family cars (wagons) with child seats in them stopping to pick up a street hooker and I saw this often enough. God only knows what they brought back home to their wives and maybe future children as HIV was not well understood at that time. I thought that I made a big mistake moving to Anchorage though I was almost starving to death in Juneau. Anchorage was the wild west back then and was not what I had in mind for a home town as a single woman. I started looking for jobs in my field in the lower 48.

Robert Hansen was able to murder all of those prostitutes without escaping detection for so long because no one was missing those girls. There were too many and the turnover was high. If that girl hadn't gotten free at Merrill Field as he was trying to stuff her into his airplane, he would have been prowling the streets for much longer. There where dozens of highly visible prostitutes on the streets at any given time, probably hundreds working the city on a given night. Pimp mobiles (giant limos with TV antennas) constantly cruised the streets. Along with that there were the various "houses", dozens of strip clubs, a rampant drug trade and finally the type of personal crimes that go along with this activity.

The populace got sick and tired of it and finally the city grew a pair and busted the trade (at least the public face of it) for the betterment of Anchorage as a place to live, work and raise families about a year to two after I moved here. I think very few Anchorage residents that were here at the time yearn for those bad old days. We might be particularly sensitive and closed mouth as a group because we don't want to welcome those that either ply or use the trade for fear of slipping back into the dark ages again.

Don't get me wrong. I realize that there is an underground trade that runs the gamut from random seedy street hooking to high priced call girls and I've seen them because I'm observant but it's stable, mostly confined and behind closed doors which is how most of us long term residents want it. Sadly what happens in the trade today probably involves human trafficking and sex slavery and I am d@nm judgmental when it comes to unwilling participants. I view the "demand" as the larger part of the problem so if the OP is looking to "buy" I take a dim view. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 09-17-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage