Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 AM

482 posts, read 875,694 times

Advertisements

Dakster, well we have a couple of frogs we got from the back yard. We have kept them as observation for our Science. We plan on putting them back in the yard before we go, though

I can't think of any other potential complications, though LOL. Now you can see why I am trying not to panic but the Type A personality in me has me making list, phone calls, and laying awake at night. My easy going husband just ignored it because he knows he'll deal with it when the time comes, plus I do enough worrying for the both of us.

I must admit I love the humor over here. You guys always brighten my day. It is so dang depressing in Houston, the people are a different breed: wild animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM

95 posts, read 351,910 times
Julie, my son has done the move from Texas to Anchorage (and back) twice, and is back up there again. All the moves were with his employers (2 major oil companies) and he did not experience excessive damage with any of their belongings, including vehicles. It was his experience that the packers were extremely competent and efficient, and on the other end, the delivery companies have been equally competent. There were possibly two or three minor items broken or scratched, if I recall correctly. They built special crates for the TVs and for the artwork, and used tons of wrapping material for dishes and other breakables.

If you're moving on an oil-company relocation package, like my son has done, its not nearly as bad as you might expect. I was going to private-message you, but it appears you don't have that option open on your profile. Would be glad to talk about it if you're so inclined, or put you in touch with my son, since he's done this move twice.

*edit to add: duh, when I logged in, the PM option was there.... so sorry for the confusion*

Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM

95 posts, read 351,910 times
Also, Julie, I think its been mentioned before, but seeing as you're moving from Houston, I'll tell you what my daughter in law always asks me to bring when we come up.

1. Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing
2. Stubbs Barbecue Sauce

If there is a specific, particular food you like, I would recommend you order a case at your grocery and bring it up in your vehicle. Otherwise, almost everything is available at Fred Meyer or Costco, or by mail order. I can't believe all the stuff you can get through Amazon.

PS, I am almost positive I saw Stubbs BBQ sauce at one of the Fred Meyers I was at in August, but the salad dressing is a southern thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
Yeah better leave the frogs, snakes, and lizards in Texas...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,553,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
Also, Julie, I think its been mentioned before, but seeing as you're moving from Houston, I'll tell you what my daughter in law always asks me to bring when we come up.

1. Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing
2. Stubbs Barbecue Sauce

If there is a specific, particular food you like, I would recommend you order a case at your grocery and bring it up in your vehicle. Otherwise, almost everything is available at Fred Meyer or Costco, or by mail order. I can't believe all the stuff you can get through Amazon.

PS, I am almost positive I saw Stubbs BBQ sauce at one of the Fred Meyers I was at in August, but the salad dressing is a southern thing.
Stubbs Barbecue Sauce was available at Costco this year. No guarantee they'll have it next year. Fred Meyer and other grocers do stock Stubbs products so you likely did see it.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Ooohh I like Stubbs. I like Head Country even better. I bet it tastes delicious on some BBQ'd Moose!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM

339 posts, read 589,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Yeah better leave the frogs, snakes, and lizards in Texas...

lol When I go back and forth I ship my turtle. Only way is by air and it is expensive. But she's cute Don't want to take the chance the Can Brdr won't let me cross with it so the 4 legged go with me and the daughter takes care of the rest until I am in Ak. Silly I know but they are my family. Turtle probably has, if not more, frequent flier miles as I do.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 PM

AlaskaNana,

That is so funny about your turtle! What kind is it? Who ships her by air? How big is she? Do you have pictures? I am such an animal lover but I draw the line at snakes. My husband draws the line at any rodent type thing like guinea pigs or hamsters. My kids were just asking me today what turtles eat. I know some eat fish but what do land turtles eat? The ones that swam up to us in Grand Cayman we gave dog food! I don't know a lot about them. Does she stay inside?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
When I was growing up we had a box turtle that we fed vegetables and store bought turtle food...

Snakes and rodent type creatures don't mix anyways. I don't need to have one as a pet to see them, they are all around down here. Every once in a while someone gets a rather large python in their house and they have been known to eat key deer and alligators. (In addition to people's pets) I always like to be around ducks in the water, when they go underneath the water and don't come back up, I know it is time to leave.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM

339 posts, read 589,191 times
Tuk is a female box turtle. She is about 4 inches across. Sorry I don't know how upload pics onto the site. When we were in Ark she wandered up the drive and when I put my youngest grandson on his bus there she was in front of the garage door. It was winter so I brought her in and she has been with us for almost 4 years now. I feed her veges and fresh fruit, except the bloating ones ie; cabbage etc, and tomatoes. I know this will sound funny so go ahead and laugh buttttt I have visions of the poor thing getting gas and bloating up...... well there is only so much room in a shell. What would happen? I have visions of it exploding. OK you can stop laughing before you have to run to the bathroom. Just imagine poor Tuk if it were to happen. So that's why I avoid any of those type foods. Tuk would rather have cantalope, watermelon etc than anything else. Since those get hard to come by, come winter, she has to settle on vege scraps but I swear that turtle knows when summer comes as she gets picky and starts to leave the veges alone. Last winter was the first time she hibernated, but it was an unusual winter. We tried the commercial turtle food and she refused it. FedEx will pick up turtles at your door, only way they will ship them, and deliver to the destination door. Not suppossed to leave at your door if you are not home, supposed to be one hand to another hand requirement but one time I shipped her to the NCa house my mom did not answer the door and when her caregiver arrived there she was at the door. My plane had been delayed a day. Imagine their surprise when they see a box with big writing "Live Turtle" on it. Mom has Altzheimers so she forgot Tuk was on her way and the regular caregiver forgot to tell the relief one there was a turtle coming. Laughed my head off. There was Tuk in the box, opened, sitting in the middle of the diningroom table because they were afraid to do more than open the box and didn't want her to get hurt. really? So put the turtle on a table? Now I leave detailed WRITTEN instructions on what to do, before shipping, -- take out of box and set in terrarium then wash hands-- not that hard. I am a stickler on hand washing. They are not supposed to carry viruses etc but still.... lol Tuk is really low maintenance. Feed a couple of times a week, make sure she has a low dish of water at all times --they eat and go potty in water, yuck, -- and I rarely have to change the shavings although a lot of people will tell you if you don't change it often it will smell. Never had a smell issue. Tuk is spoiled. She has "habitats" within her terrarium. Her "bed" area has a cave and is in shavings, one section is pebbles -large enough sized so as to not be abled to wedge in her shell - and that is her sunning and travel area, the last area -- at the other end of the terrarium -- is sand and that is where the water dish is. Thats it. The grandkids like to take her out and watch her crawl all over the livingroom. NOT ALLOWED since the time they forgot she was out and went out to play. Noticed later on there was no Tuk in the terrarium. Not sure how long she had been gone at that point since none would confess to letting her out, and did not find her for months. We looked everywhere a turtle could go and even under stuff nothing but a piece of paper could fit still no Tuk, looked for days and days. Finally gave up, since the back door had been open thought maybe she got out, and put up the turtle stuff. Guess who shows up? Had gotten up from the couch to get coffee and when I went to sit down there was Tuk just sitting there in front of the couch. Texted pics to grandkids to releive their minds, but my daughter swore I had gotten a new turtle and was trying to pass it off as Tuk until my next visit to her when I packed Tuk up and off we went to her house. She, daughter, recognized Tuk immediately -- sounds funny but you just KNOW your turtle -- and admitted I was not kidding. To this day we have no idea where Tuk was for those 2 months. And that ends my turtle story. Thanks for indulging me as I don't get to tell it often. For some reason people will listen for hours to stories about dogs and cats, and I have lots of those also, but turtles seem to be boring to them. Guess you have to be a turtle person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage