Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM

482 posts, read 875,767 times

Advertisements

AlaskaNana- Who knew turtles were so involved? Better yet, who knew they could find their way home after two months? That is so great! Isn't their life expectancy really long? Is she going to outlive all of us? It might surprise you to learn I've had a Zoology class but it's been a few moons ago! I can't remember anything LOL.

Do you really think she knows when summer is coming or are you kidding? Does she snap or bite? How do you know it's a girl? I thought it was one of those that is difficult to tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM

339 posts, read 589,249 times
boys have a curved under shell to allow them to, ahhhh, be "friendly". (in case your kids read this). I have never known a box turtle to bite. Definitely does not snap. Just goes in the shell when she wants you to leave her alone. And YES I am absolutely sure, although I cannot prove it but look at hibernation which turtles do in the wild, she does know when summer gets here. Just like right now she is pigging out on the fruits and pushing aside the veges. She knows when I start adding veges the fruit won't last for much longer and eats all the fruit she can. I think partly it is instinct and part learned since I feed her with the same pattern every year. I don't know how long box turtles live. I know tortoises can be over 100 years old.

Last edited by AlaskaNana; 10-15-2012 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 12,145 times
I learned so much from reading the messages on this forum. I am a senior citizen contemplating relocating to Alaska. I still work and want to continue working at least part-time. The info re moving was really eye-opening as I was considering hving my furniture barged plus my two dogs and cat--oy --there's a lot to ponder and plan for. Anyone have ideas for a "senior Citizen widow" and best place to relocate--am drawn to sitka as it is so very beautiful (and I have a darling son living there)
Thank you all for reading and offering your suggestions. I hope to make the move next spring.in 2014.
FJoyce

Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,871,888 times
I don't know what stage you are in for your move, but this might help. My husband and I drove up to Alaska from MN with just what we could fit in our car. I shipped my books that I just couldn't part with via the flat rate USPS boxes. I think the total charges came up to just under $300.00 but it was a bargain compared to how much replacing the books would have cost. Another thing that I found after living in Alaska (not in Anchorage area) was the usefulness of Amazon and their free shipping option (even to AK which is rare). I had never utilized their services very much prior to moving to Alaska but found that just about anything I wanted and couldn't get locally I could get on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage