Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 58,611 times

Advertisements

We lived in Anchorage from 2004-2008 and are now moving back at the end of the year (husband is Air Force). What's new since then? Stores, restaurants etc. ? Also, we did not have children at the time and will then have a 1 year old and 4 year old. I am worried we will be stuck inside a lot. I will be staying home with them. Those with young children, tell me what your winters with them are like. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,763,297 times
Well, Spenard Roadhouse is new since then:
Spenard Roadhouse - Anchorage, Alaska

Will your older one be in pre-school, then kindergarten? As an early elementary teacher, the kids just bundle all up in snowpants, coats, boots, gloves, hats & out they go until it gets to be -10F! Face masks can help those little faces.

Have a great move!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,716,787 times
Our grandkids get to go to this place about everyother weekend. Your kids will only be stuck inside if their parents keep them inside. My youngest granddaughter who turns 1 next week likes to be out in the snow especially when it's falling in her face.

H2Oasis Indoor Water Park, Anchorage, Alaska

Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,627,726 times
There's the new Tikahtnu Commons with an Olive Garden, IMAX theater and shops: CIRI Projects - Tikahtnu Commons
There's a Target in South Anchorage and they are suppose to be building a Cabelos & Pro Bass this summer.
The museum expanded last year. Verizon Wireless will be offering service by summer. The Dimond Mall is suppose to be adding some outlet style stores.
There's some new hotels in midtown.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM

24 posts, read 58,611 times
Sounds good - lots of retail develpment!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM

117 posts, read 247,279 times
Hmm, also I know a few kids who get tutored during the school year and also do summer programs. The tutoring helps with their homework and learning material so they're at the top of their class. The summer program is a mix of learning and socializing, having fun with others, and doing sports. I recommend Dr. Park's Academy, because it's founded and run by a former professor. I think it's the only place in town where the educator actually has a Ph.D, which I would want for my children! My friend is enrolling her kid here for their summer program soon, but I don't know when it starts.

Here is the Yelp review, if it helps (I always try to read reviews online of anything before I buy/do it):
Dr. Park's Academy - Anchorage, AK

Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,226 times
There is a girl on this forum who is a lifeguard and swim instructor and i just told her about the indoor pool options. so look up h20asis ( i think) and other indoor pools. that reminds me towrds the south i believe there are hot springs! i know my kids enjoyed hot springs in the states we were located so if you're up for a trip i would maybe look into that

Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,722,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Well, Spenard Roadhouse is new since then:
Spenard Roadhouse - Anchorage, Alaska

Will your older one be in pre-school, then kindergarten? As an early elementary teacher, the kids just bundle all up in snowpants, coats, boots, gloves, hats & out they go until it gets to be -10F! Face masks can help those little faces.

Have a great move!
Unless your kids go to the wimpy schools where they just keep them in regardless. Turns the teachers CRAZY!!

We moved here in 2008 so let's see what's new since we arrived. Definitely the new shopping at Tikatnu Commons. They finally paved our old neighborhood, but of course did it just days before the snow fell so there are now huge potholes in the fresh pavement. They are redoing the highway through the center of town. Seems as though there is a huge influx of Pho' Restaurants in town now. Beware, some are incredibly awful. Fireweed Movie theater was torn down but Totem (Muldoon) is now the $3.50 theater. There are farmer's markets now, the one at the Sear's Mall is year round and i think Northway mall has a year round market as well. The shopping center that was built just south of Mountain View has never taken off, it's nearly empty now and most shops have moved to Tikatnu Commons. There was a massive wind storm last summer so there are downed trees all over the parks and greenbelts in town still. A lot of indoor playgrounds have come and gone out of business. Since you have base access, make use of the Arctic Oasis and the pool. There are also some new roads in town but traffic is still crazy. I guess not a whole lot has changed. It's still Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: