Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,634 times

Advertisements

I have read a few things online about how on base housing was better than off. Those were a few years old so I was wondering if anyone knows a more current status? My man is getting stationed at Elmendorf in August and I am hoping to get involved in the performing arts in Anchorage. Any suggestions on locations to live??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,691,205 times
I'd live on base. The housing is very nice, very large and very new! Unless you plan to buy, don't waste your time or money trying to live off base.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM

42 posts, read 152,020 times
Base housing here is really nice. There is a Facebook page, called Moving House for the Military Spouse. It has lots of photos of the housing here with ranks and neighborhoods.
That said, we chose to live off post here, and have been very happy. There was not a lot of selection as far as rentals in our price range when we arrived. For rentals in Anchorage that would accept a pet, I think we had 3 places to choose from, and a couple in Eagle River. We really haven't saved any money living off post, which you can sometimes do in other areas. So I wouldn't make the decision based off that.
There is a JBER spouses page on FB also, it's a private group you just have to message the owner to join and she will message you back- it will come to your "other" folder though. You might ask around on there if there's any place in particular to be avoided.
Good luck!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,202,838 times
If you live on base its just a matter of time before you get an infraction. When I have to go on base I feel like im driving into nazi germany. Perhaps once you get used to driving 5 miles an hour after you just got off the highways its no big deal, I thought it was obnoxious.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:11 PM

18 posts, read 31,263 times
We've lived off base for the last three years in Eagle River and loved it, but it sounds like on base housing might be a better fit for your situation- more convenient to work for him and Anchorage/the arts for you. I've talked to a lot of people who love the on base housing. Depending on your price range, most people I know who live in Anchorage love the Hillside area, but it's pretty pricey and the commute through Anchorage to base is not fun. Lots of lights, since there isn't any bypass, you have to go right through town. The rentals up here are always in high demand. We had very few available in our price range allowing a small pet, like a previous poster mentioned, and the good ones went fast. So on base might be simpler all around. On the other hand, if you don't have kids and aren't concerned about schools or the area quite as much there might be more rentals in Anchorage closer to base. The area just wouldn't be quite as scenic.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 22,012 times
heeeey my guy is stationed there too and i am moving up their late july early august and from what we have been checking out if you're ok with doing things on your own (meaning not relying on the PX for grocies and actually driving to the store etc.) i would say live off base. The waiting list is long and the houses and apartments are not all that great because we have been finding better deals off base and it feels a little less big brother-ish if you know what i mean. I like that we will have our own place and there is no need for all that extra stuff since he is not joining back up we dont feel the need to submerse ourselves with the "military" culture of on base living.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,601,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstobe View Post
heeeey my guy is stationed there too and i am moving up their late july early august and from what we have been checking out if you're ok with doing things on your own (meaning not relying on the PX for grocies and actually driving to the store etc.) i would say live off base. The waiting list is long and the houses and apartments are not all that great because we have been finding better deals off base and it feels a little less big brother-ish if you know what i mean. I like that we will have our own place and there is no need for all that extra stuff since he is not joining back up we dont feel the need to submerse ourselves with the "military" culture of on base living.
The better deals off base are also some of the nastiest apartments in Anchorage. Be careful.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,202,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstobe View Post
Thats because on base big brother litterally is watching. Driving on base is like a stephen king novel, where everything is perfectly groomed and new and there is not a single person out and about other than a few cars here and there. Maybe there are busy times where there is alot of life on the base but never any times I have been there (other than the air show which does not count).

My buddy used to be a cop on base and he jokingly said he was waiting to see Jason vorhees in that play ground area in the abandoned buildings back behind the run way on elmondorf. Base is kinda creepy.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 22,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Thats because on base big brother litterally is watching. Driving on base is like a stephen king novel, where everything is perfectly groomed and new and there is not a single person out and about other than a few cars here and there. Maybe there are busy times where there is alot of life on the base but never any times I have been there (other than the air show which does not count).

My buddy used to be a cop on base and he jokingly said he was waiting to see Jason vorhees in that play ground area in the abandoned buildings back behind the run way on elmondorf. Base is kinda creepy.
hahaha! that was the best. i totally agree because when i go to visit my guy it really does feel like that. I personally cannot stand it but if the OP is up for that sort of feeling or can ignore then more power to her

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,691,205 times
LOL, you guys! I don't mind military bases. I find them "safe" feeling. I'm not a fan of the way all the buildings look the same but other then that, it feels like "home" in a way. For the most part they are very safe but I agree sometimes there is a lot of silly rules. We spent all summer on base between the Family Camp on Fort Rich and the Family Camp on Elmendorf. It's nice being so close to the free gym and the commissary, and the pharmacy. But that's just my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage