U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM

62 posts, read 498,148 times

Advertisements

How much would it cost to transport 1-bedroom aparment furniture and a sedan car?

I am in Seattle right now and want to hear others stories about moving their stuff up to Anchorage.

Does anybody recommend a good transport service? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,162,449 times
Look in your yellow pages, there are several companies that do just that, and will put them on the dock in Anchorage. Maybe even deliver a van to your apartment.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 AM

21,368 posts, read 35,543,798 times
Ship your things up with Lynden Air Cargo and drive your car up the Alcan!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 AM

3,871 posts, read 16,436,757 times
I've moved a couple of times with Continental/Allied Van Lines -- a VERY long-established national moving company. They have a special operation between Seattle/Tacoma and various locations throughout Alaska. They're at Seattle Mover, Tacoma Mover, Seattle Moving, Alaska Moving, Continental Van Lines Free Moving Quote

Another Seattle-Alaska transport company with a super-reliable reputation is Northland. Here's their site: Northland Services

Lynden Air Cargo might be commercial/industrial? I don't know. The company is also considered super-reliable. They also have land transport and sea transport. They're at Lynden

The ESTABLISHED moving/transport companies will cost more than cheaper companies -- and they're worth every penny because they 1) actually get your stuff to where you want it to go, 2) they get it there in good condition, and 3) they've done it for decades and know how to do it.

All of those companies have 800 phone numbers or are in Seattle. If I were you, I'd gather their phone numbers and talk to their reps in great detail. I'll bet you'll learn a ton of stuff you need to know! Also if I were you, I'd spend money to put my possessions in the hands of experts.

Good luck and please let us know what you find, okay?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 228,727 times
We've moved in and out of AK a few different ways so far and the best was Lynden Transport. We did months of research and discovered we could save a ton of money by using them.

Mind you, your stuff will ship as cargo, will be wrapped with visqueen and loaded on pallets. That is why it is so inexpensive. However, as long as you pack it all very carefully you will be fine. We used rubber maid tubs for household stuff (pots, pans, clothes, etc.), wrapped furniture in shipping blankets and loaded the very well packed breakable stuff into our car. (They ship cars too and will let you pack the car as full as you can get it without charging extra.) Everything except the cars are shipped/charged according to their weight.

We have a ton of books so we used USPS media rate shipping to send those as well as our dvds and cds (anything media...). That stuff took much longer to get to our new address but that was good because we were there to receive it by the time it got there.

It all worked out like a charm.

We are moving back to AK in summer '08 and are still deciding if we are going to do the same thing again (in reverse), or sell the furniture & most anything else we can live without and then haul what is left up the Alcan.

If we decide to ship again, it will definitely be Lynden again. They are awesome guys, very friendly, efficient and even let us help with the visqueen and "palletizing" which made us feel better about it going as freight. NOTHING was broken, lost, mashed or otherwise damaged in any way. Can't say that about the expensive commercial move we did the first time.....

Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,582,048 times
When my neighbors moved up they did it themselves. No real need to hire a moving company.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/akbushcop/moving3.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-24-2007, 10:18 AM

6,423 posts, read 12,290,055 times
Ahhh, the many uses of Duct Tape.

Reminds me on the Red Green Show, he uses Duct Tape for everything.

The Red Green Show is from Canada, don't know if you guys get it on TV or not.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,162,449 times
Red Green is big in Fairbanks, We have the annual Chena River Regatta, of boats made with duct tape. Steve Smith has even hosted the event a few times.

The photos remind me of the comedian that says..... You might be a Redneck if......

Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 10,627,097 times
But of course we do. PBS, naturally.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,582,048 times
Duct tape and cable ties will fix almost anything. At least this gal is wearing her seat belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: