Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times

Advertisements

Gonorth9 - Good luck in your adventure. I'm sure you will figure it all out once you get there. I visited and I still have unanswered questions about different areas and how to live in the Arctic. One of the reasons I hang around the forum. I have the logistics to get there all figured out though. But I over plan and over-prepare.

Met - I can't have both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonorth9 View Post
We are sick and tired of the heat, crowds of people everywhere (EVERYONE from CA and the north east seems to be moving here!)
That's funny. The Anchorage area seems to be in a similar situation, except with everyone from Texas.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times
Quote:
We've only discussed this kind of drastic move with very few of our family and friends and believe me we get 'that's crazy' most often.
Don't let that stop you... A lot of us got that when we made the move.

Quote:
anyone who owns a vehicle that cares about it's appearance
While there are definitely those who care about the appearance of their vehicle, especially in the summer, a lot of us realize it's Alaska, it's winter (or spring) and this is just the way my car is going to look...
But, if you have a corner on the market, hopefully you'll find enough of those who care to make a go of it...

Quote:
I am concerned about being able to actually get around to the different clients on a day to day basis due to snow/ice.

Let's say it's January (or whenever the coldest part of winter is - it's Feb here) and I have to call on my customer (let's say M-B of Anchorage on East 6th). Would the roads be accessible and even if only 6th is open, would the dealership be piled to the rooftops of the cars with snow? If so - for how long? A couple days at a time or weeks? I imagine even car dealerships and body shops have to sell and repair in the winter.
The other 300,000 of us get around just fine. Within 24 hours of a big dump of snow almost all major roads are plowed. And in South Central, we only get a few bid dumps a year.
You might want to consider doing two visits, or doing your visit just in the winter to get an idea of what it's like.

Quote:
I was considering Palmer because of its cheaper home prices and because it's in the middle of Wasilla's and Anchorage's auto market . I am concerned about commute time, however. I do not want to spend an hour minimum in commute each day. Ideally, I'd like 30-45 average commute to Anchorage but be able to still own 3-10acres far enough out to feel in the wilderness. Our plan is to rent for the first two-three years until our oldest daughter goes to college that way we can downsize the house we buy to 3bdrm and know the area well enough to find our 'perfect' spot. Eagle River Seems like a good option - Thanks Metlakatla for the advice! I'll look there, too.
Most of the Wasilla haters will concede that Palmer is nice. And I like Palmer. We looked there when we were buying our home, but most of our life is centered in Wasilla so that's where we bought. Peter's Creek, Chugiak or Eagle River would work too. Your best bet is to start watching the MLS site for Alaska: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com . You might also want to start a conversation with a Realtor. Marty Van Diest is a regular contributor here on these forums. Our Realtor is Dody Kettler and we loved working with her.
A local Realtor can help you identify which neighborhoods are "bad" or "good."

Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM

482 posts, read 875,767 times
GoNorth we live between Houston and San Antonio. I plan to follow your journey if you plan to continue documenting it

If you ever want to get together with another family like yours, let us know and we'll meet you at the zoo or sea world.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM

49 posts, read 106,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Most of the Wasilla haters will concede that Palmer is nice. And I like Palmer. We looked there when we were buying our home, but most of our life is centered in Wasilla so that's where we bought. Peter's Creek, Chugiak or Eagle River would work too. Your best bet is to start watching the MLS site for Alaska: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com . You might also want to start a conversation with a Realtor. Marty Van Diest is a regular contributor here on these forums. Our Realtor is Dody Kettler and we loved working with her.
A local Realtor can help you identify which neighborhoods are "bad" or "good."
Would a home in the Palmer area make sense if I'm looking for good schools, feeling of being somewhat in a small town or country, and don't want to spend an hour commuting each and every morning. I want to include Wasilla in my market but not sure if I should move farther from Anchorage since it will be my market 75%+ of the time. Wikipedia sure makes Palmer sound nice to me - population of 6k!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
GoNorth we live between Houston and San Antonio. I plan to follow your journey if you plan to continue documenting it

If you ever want to get together with another family like yours, let us know and we'll meet you at the zoo or sea world.
Awesome offer guys! I'll keep you posted with our journey.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Palmer is nice, but it will be even more of a commute than Wasilla.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Palmer is nice, but it will be even more of a commute than Wasilla.
Actually with both Palmer and Wasilla it depends on where you live. I'm three miles down Knik-Goosebay. I've got friends that live in the Ranch subdivision. Their commute would be almost 15 minutes less than mine. Same with Palmer. If you live on the south side, you'll have a shorter commute....

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Well, hopefully the OP can find a place that suits him and his family. Personally, I wouldn't do that commute from anywhere in the valley if I had a young family, and I don't understand why anyone does. I guess they save money on housing costs and think it's worth it. And as I said earlier, a lot of newcomers look at a map and think it's going to be an easier and shorter commute than it actually is.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-05-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, hopefully the OP can find a place that suits him and his family. Personally, I wouldn't do that commute from anywhere in the valley if I had a young family, and I don't understand why anyone does. I guess they save money on housing costs and think it's worth it. And as I said earlier, a lot of newcomers look at a map and think it's going to be an easier and shorter commute than it actually is.
I am starting to believe it would be best for us to rent in Eagle River or actually in Anchorage for the first year. I started out against the idea because one of the big motivators we have for moving there is to get OUT of the city. Here in San Antonio, I live in a little rural town called Helotes. When I moved here in 1995 the population of San Antonio metropolitan area (which includes several small communities like ours) was 1.4 million. Today, the San Antonio border has almost engulfed our town and the population today is 2.2 million! That's over 40,000 people moving here each year.

I get it, frostnip. It does stink when so many non-like minded people move into your area. That's why it's so great to live in (once) "free" country where you can choose where to live. If bringing strong Christian values, work ethic, and a business to your area is unwelcomed then I have nothing to suggest other than I know of good home in San Antonio that you could buy cheap next June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage