Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 AM

49 posts, read 106,711 times

Advertisements

Howdy All!

The wife and I are going to move our family of 6 (8 with the two dogs) from San Antonio, TX up to the Anchorage area next year as soon as school down here lets out - June 1st-ish. We are sick and tired of the heat, crowds of people everywhere (EVERYONE from CA and the north east seems to be moving here!), the filthy decline of the culture, and the crime. We are a conservative Christian family. I am a self employed business owner who will be moving my business to the Anchorage area. My wife is a RN but currently has her license on hold because she is a stay at home mom until our youngest starts 1st grade (2015).

We are in the early planning stages but need to solidify our decision by late summer 2013 if we are to do this as comfortably and efficiently as possible.

Our plan:
Sell both vehicles here as well as 50-75% of our furnishings and stuff.
Pack everything else into a movers truck.
Fly the wife and me up first (with the dogs).
Buy two new (used) vehicles.
Scour the spring and summer yard sales to replenish furniture, etc.
2 weeks later fly the kids up.
Rent outside of Anchorage for at least the first 1 or 2 years to learn the area - then buy outside the town and commute into Anchorage.

Here's what I'd like to ask:

If we ship everything with a mover, do I need to worry about anything sensitive (not illegal) like guns (hand and long), medications, chemicals like paint supplies (for work), etc. being packed in with our household goods? I'm assuming it's all going to travel through Canada.

How long can we expect it to take before all of our stuff arrives?

If flying from Texas straight to Anchorage (or maybe a layover in the states if cheaper) do we need to worry about passports for everybody? Am I right to assume that leaving US territory only to land in US territory forgoes the need for passports. It sounds like a stupid question now that I wrote it...

When can I expect the first real significant snowfall of the year in Anchorage? By significant I mean more than a foot - amount that will make travel into Anchorage a challenge or make working outdoors a challenge. I know that's kinda open for interpretation.

Thanks so much for all your responses! I am grateful for this site and all of you who take the time to welcome newcomers and give your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
IF your stuff is being driven thru Canada you have to worry about what can and cannot go into Canada. Most handguns are illegal in Canada and most long guns are legal. However, you get pay a fee per gun for the legal ones. If you barge it from US port to US Port then this isn't a concern. If you are flying up, why not just take them with you on the plane? Call you airline first, I find the different carriers have slightly different rules on how to pack them. ALL of them want the ammo separate from the guns and everything packed in crush proof containers.

You are correct on the passport issue. US City to US City no passports required. HOWEVER, keep in mind if your route flies over Canada and there is an emergency landing IN Canada you may be stuck in the Airport 'transfer zone' (like Snowden) until you get another flight out. IMHO, Since you are moving to AK - you will want a passport anyways.

I don't have personal experience in your other questions - but I do know it is expensive to ship stuff to AK, so the less you have the better. If you have decent cars, it may not be worth it to sell and re-purchase. But without specifics on what you have and what you want to get - no one can give you that advice. I have looked at online classifieds for vehicles in AK and they seem more expensive then 'down here', especially in your state. However, there is definitely a non-trivial cost involved with driving them up. I think the scenery makes it MORE than worth it, but that is just me. If your vehicles are falling apart, then there is no question - sell and get new to you ones.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM

49 posts, read 106,711 times
Thanks Dakster!

I didn't think about the passport issue... it DOES make sense to go ahead and have them. It's not like it's a real expense or anything - just one more thing to do.

As far as the vehicles - I've read posts saying that my wife's Honda Odyssey would do just fine up there with good snow tires but I'm concerned about my 2wd F-150. They are both in good condition but because I use my truck for my business, I'm thinking I should replace it with a 4x4 truck to ensure as many work days as possible.

I learned to drive in Kansas City snow but that was more than 20 years ago so driving on snow/ice will be relatively new. We plan on both taking a course on driving in the weather up there.

I've also heard that 4x4 tends to get you over confident instead of more capable. So I'm up in the air on that, too.

Obviously, since we are 11 months away we have time to plan, change those plans, and then change again if need be. The Honda Odyssey appraises for almost $3k more here than there so it may not be worth keeping but the real issue is we don't want to drive 4,200 miles with 4 kids and two dogs and have to take 4-6 days to do it! We don't travel like that very well - we could if it's a must but we're willing to spend a bit more to do it as simply as possible.

Also, didn't think about taking them on the flight with me... all this regulation crap made me forget that is a possibility. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
You are welcome. I am in a long range plan to move, so I have researched a lot of this. Also, Stiffnecked will tell you that you can also ship your guns Air Alaska, Air Freight. You don't even need to 'be with them'. Another option, but I doubt you will need to do that.

I don't know what you do, but if you need to be out an about at all times of the day and night and all over 'town' then a 4x4 or AWD drive may be appropriate. Just learn to respect the snow/ice and driving conditions. I don't like old school RWD in slippery conditions - not even in non-snow/ice areas. Even the new rental 2WD F150 I drove up to AK in the summer on some mud roads provided an interesting driving experience at times. I was much happier when I switched out to a 4WD Expedition for the return trip. Not a good feeling when you are all alone, no cell service, in the middle of nowhere, and are spinning out on the side of the road in mud. (We stopped at a pull out to use an outhouse) A FWD probably would not have done this or done this with a lot less drama. But you may never find yourself on those roads.

If you can get $3k more for your vehicle in Texas than AK - it is a no brainer... After your first winter you will quickly know what you need vs. what you want. I like looking at what other long time residents drive in the area too.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
What sort of business are you in... Are you sure your business will work up here?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,937,766 times
It sounds like you're moving to Alaska without ever having been there. Is that the case?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,767,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonorth9 View Post
Howdy All!

The wife and I are going to move our family of 6 (8 with the two dogs) from San Antonio, TX up to the Anchorage area next year as soon as school down here lets out - June 1st-ish. We are sick and tired of the heat, crowds of people everywhere (EVERYONE from CA and the north east seems to be moving here!), the filthy decline of the culture, and the crime.

What do you mean by the "filthy decline of the culture"?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Sounds like you'd fit right in in Wasilla. However, I wouldn't raise children there. Too many thugs and drugs. Because you want to be outside of the city, you should look into Eagle River.

If you haven't been to Alaska, you really should visit before making a firm financial commitment. Lots of people move up thinking they're going to find their paradise only to discover that the reality doesn't match their dreams.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sounds like you'd fit right in in Wasilla. However, I wouldn't raise children there. Too many thugs and drugs. Because you want to be outside of the city, you should look into Eagle River.
Gee Met... I've got 5 nieces and nephews growing up here and they are doing just fine. I've lived here 17 years and haven't seen any more "thugs & drugs" than anywhere else. Actually, I feel safer here than I would in Eagle River.
Or maybe you are one of those "I'm better than the rest of world" folks who think Wasilla is populated by meth heads and cousin marrin' rednecks...

You know, in ten years the Valley has grown from 50,000 people to 80,000 people. So how bad can it really be? I've got a great house in a great neighborhood. My wife and I both have great jobs. All in this place that you say is populated with the scum of the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you haven't been to Alaska, you really should visit before making a firm financial commitment. Lots of people move up thinking they're going to find their paradise only to discover that the reality doesn't match their dreams.
Totally agree... Come up for a week and check it out. Look at prices in the store and prices for homes and/or rentals. Alaska is unique and moving here is expensive. Moving back out is just as expensive...

Old 07-04-2013, 05:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
You're welcome to it. Nonetheless, I wouldn't raise my child there. You've got your subjective personal experience to go on, and I have mine.

IF it's any of your business, I wouldn't raise on in Ketchikan, POW, or countless small communities in the state of Oregon precisely because of the meth problem those places ALL experience. It's probably impossible to completely get away from it, but some places have more than others.

I don't think that this is a conversation that I'm going to continue because I hardly said that the place is "populated with the scum of the Earth." I also don't appreciate the quasi personal attack, although that's typical of what this place has devolved into.

Have a great 4th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage