Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 20,612 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--a few months back I posted about a potential move to Anchorage while my husband looks for an engineering job. We were lucky enough to make everything work with my company paying to get us up here, and my husband was even able to transfer his current job while he looks. Chatting with some of the folks that we've met around town, as well as my coworkers, I'm finding that we may be slightly underestimating our winter preparedness. I came up knowing we were going to need to invest in some essentials, but I find myself worried that without having experienced an Alaska winter, that we're going into some of our purchases a little blind.

I am hoping you all can give me some advice about specific brands and... models?... of winter wear that we should be looking at. I really want to enjoy our first winter here and not freeze to death every time I step outside my door! Specifically we're looking for:

- Which boots will work as both everyday boots and for, say, walking the dog a few miles?
- Speaking of the dog, can anyone recommend any good dog booties? Our dog is a corgi, if that helps.
- Winter coat recommendations. I've heard everything from "as much insulation as possible" to "just get a Gortex outer coat and bundle up underneath."
- Do I want to wear snow/ski pants for, say, running to get groceries?
- What should I absolutely make sure I have in my car in case I break down? (I doubt we'll get too far outside of Anchorage the first year.)

So now that you are all laughing at me, I hope you can send some helpful links. The internet is so full of helpful suggestions that I'm hoping you can help me sort out the best recommendations!

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
I have some Columbia winter boots, but still wear tennis shoes most of the winter. And I generally just wear a hoodie. If the wind is blowing here in the valley, I might add a wind breaker over the hoodie. For my legs, it's usually just blue jeans.
So, I don't really do anything extra or different in winter.... But then again I'm fine in just a t-shirt down to about 20 degrees...

Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 AM

12 posts, read 18,589 times
From what I hear winter in Anchorage is very up and down. You need to cover wet and a bit cold as well as deep dry cold.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM

56 posts, read 110,098 times
Good driving gloves and scarves are helpful. I just buy a good Columbia jacket every year or two ( light colors get dingy looking easy and youll be wearing it ALOT). Shoes that come off easily are great because every time you visit someone you must take them off at the door and Ak is notorious for having small cramp entryways. I was planning on buying a pair of fleece lined Toms. Obviously you need a pair of winter boots for walking the dog etc. I think UGGS are overated and easily ruined. Id get something waterproof with traction. Get warm cushy socks and sweat shirts. I thnk jeans are the common wear around here unless you are snow boarding, snow machining etc. For shoes I recommend " The Walking Store". There is one in the 5th ave. mall For the car just carry jumpers ( its worked for me for 9 yrs). You wont need snow pants for the grocery store, just for outdoor activities. Get a good hat Get those rubber booties for the puppy, they sell em at petco.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:39 PM

186 posts, read 362,332 times
wow, man, you'd have to pay me 1/2 million $ a year to get me to tolerate ALaska type cold/snow for a year. Then I'd leave after that year, count on it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Sorel-type boots are great for slipping into to go out at all hours to walk the dog. Traction, as someone mentioned is good as with winter ice rain it can get icy in Anchorage! I collect yaktracks that I find on the trails for cleat traction icy mornings. You will probably want a warm coat for early morning dog walks. My husband & I both used a down coat for that purpose. If it's way below zero, snow pants are great for an early morning dog walk.

Layering is a great way to go for most outdoor activities- peel off or layer on.

But early morning dog walking it's nice to have a warm down coat!

Value Village often has great deals on second hand snow pants, wool sweaters, fleece, even jackets to get started.

I never wore snow pants or ski pants to go for groceries only for skiing or snowshoeing in frigid temps.

We always keep emergency gear in our vehicles: warm hats, gloves, old sweaters, flashlights, jumper cables.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 20,612 times
Thanks for the good information, everyone! I was starting to get worried that I was going to look like the kid in A Christmas Story every time I walked out of my house ("I can't put my arms down!").

Thanks for the tip about Value Village. Sounds like there is a thrift store trip in my future.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 PM

75 posts, read 87,707 times
I've lived here for about 15 years. I really just wear what I would back east with the exception of a winter jacket and sometimes actual snow boots. Unless you are walking everywhere or going outside to do winter activities, you don't need much. Don't think too much into it.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
wow, man, you'd have to pay me 1/2 million $ a year to get me to tolerate ALaska type cold/snow for a year. Then I'd leave after that year, count on it.
It's not that bad. You'd be surprised the amount of kids standing outside in shorts during dead of winter, waiting for the school bus!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
I'd just be worried about getting stuck and not having enough clothing to stay warm waiting fro help with a 'dead' vehicle. Or going on a hike and something slowing me down getting back and the weather turned, etc...

Warm house to warm (or warming up) vehicle to warm building... Right now my case is the opposite, A/C House to A/C Car to A/C building...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage