U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,434,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You want to have a 4WD or AWD vehicle, or failing that, front-wheel drive, and you want good winter tires and adequate winterization.

Beyond that it's more about how you drive than what you drive.

this is exactly right!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,737,511 times
What made my mind up about wanting my family in a large SUV is when I was on my way to work one morning and was the first on the scene of a two vehicle collision on O'Malley.

A full size pick-up, with a drunk driver, hit a Suburban near head on, It was estimated that the PU was traveling at about 60 MPH Suburban about 40MPH. Both vehicles had severe front damage. The two people in the PU were killed neither had seat belts on.

The woman in the suburban had burns and abrasions from the air bag. Her two children in the back, one in a child seat, the other seat belted were scared but not hurt. I know that if they had been in a mini van or a smaller vehicle they would not have survived.

With the lack of driving skills the drivers here seem to possess I can not put my family in a small vehicle.

The bottom line is if you are a good responsible driver you will do fine in most any vehicle.

For my family I choose to have the extra metal around us.

I agree about the weight of large SUVs if you don't factor that in when driving on slick surfaces you will get into trouble.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,402 times
Thanks all for the responses! Guess we'll be looking for something with a little bit more ground clearance, the explorer seems a little low for an SUV. (Although the price is perfect )

Last edited by hatingthemidwest; 09-09-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM

111 posts, read 226,575 times
I have driven them all - from lil sporty Miata's to Class 8 tractor trailers. The 2500 Chevy Suburban is the winner.

First - Parts are always available, even in Botswana!
Second - The handling is superior and there's less plastic on them. They will survive a moose encounter, where many pickups and cars simply won't. I had a dealer put a welded cow catcher on mine when I was in Libby, MT. Don't bother with the shiny cowboy model - it's for good looks and not worth a darn.
Third - You don't need a diesel - the gasser version pulls like a moose with about the same mileage as an Excursion
Fourth - It costs less to operate.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM

224 posts, read 413,789 times
an explorer will do fine, there are very few times you'll benifit from higher clearance in Anchorage unless you live very far from a major road. Subaru's are also a good choice, they have an excelent awd system and great heaters.

I agree that trucks are safer, but with ever rising gas prices smaller vehicles are very tempting. I have both.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM

75 posts, read 78,580 times
Go with what you like. Your Explorer will be fine. I owned an AWD Passast that drove like a champ in the winter with all-season tires. Never got stuck. I had a Honda Civic FWD with all-season tires. Never got stuck. After 15 years I finally bought a set of dedicated winter tires this past winter. I drive about 40hrs a week in a FWD Impala and have had very little issues and I've driven RWD Chevy for years and had very little issues. The driver makes the difference, not the system, and not the tires. YMMV

Old 09-14-2013, 05:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,320,021 times
I drove a Toyota landcruiser in Anchorage for 13 years- huge metal bumpers that folks hit 3 times. My landcruiser was fine, but they sure smashed their paper-thin front ends.

Lots of folks flying thru red lights, not being able to stop in time on ice.

Drive carefully!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,881,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider42 View Post
I have driven them all - from lil sporty Miata's to Class 8 tractor trailers. The 2500 Chevy Suburban is the winner.

First - Parts are always available, even in Botswana!
Second - The handling is superior and there's less plastic on them. They will survive a moose encounter, where many pickups and cars simply won't. I had a dealer put a welded cow catcher on mine when I was in Libby, MT. Don't bother with the shiny cowboy model - it's for good looks and not worth a darn.
Third - You don't need a diesel - the gasser version pulls like a moose with about the same mileage as an Excursion
Fourth - It costs less to operate.
I agree with the cow catcher front end comment for sure. Although bambi guards are good too. Anything mass produced will have availability. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all sell tens of thousands of pickups and truck based SUVs a month. (Maybe not the Dodge SUVs as they don't appear to have as many cross fit parts) I haven't looked in a while, but I don't see much different between the front end of a Suburban 2500 vs. a 2500 Silverado/Sierra.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,917,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatingthemidwest View Post
Thanks all for the responses! Guess we'll be looking for something with a little bit more ground clearance, the explorer seems a little low for an SUV. (Although the price is perfect )
You could probably put a small lift on it for a reasonable price if you really need it. We get a lot more snow than Anchorage and quite a few people drive small cars here and do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage