Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,723 times

Advertisements

am planning to move to Alaska, but its going to be a journey that takes a few years. I have to graduate, find a job, and visit Alaska several times before I can commit.

I do have 2 questions. the first is how safe is Alaska, specifically anchorage, when it comes to wildlife? If you are in the heart of the city, am I correct in assuming a random bear attack has a zero chance of happening? what about Juneau or Fairbanks? will wild life like deer and moose wonder close by the city limits or is it not uncommon to see animals roaming around in populous places. I know that sounds like a dumb question but I am curious

also, which parts of anchorage are dangerous as far as crime? any particular areas that should be avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,318,842 times
Moose roaming the city, even downtown are common, yes they can be downright ornery, especialy during the winter months, and are particularly protective of their calve's. Just give them respect and ample space and all is well. Bears are common on the outskirts of town and are sited further in on ocassion, some parks and the greenbelts are other areas that bears may frequent, regardless, the best bear deterent is being aware and alert wherever you are. In general, being attacked by wildlife in Anchorage proper is not of concern, but Anchorage is the largest city in the U.S. geographically
speaking, that menas that there are vast portions that are city proper but are parkland or "wild", people have been mauled to death by bears in the past while hiking popular trails in the Chugach park which abut the Municipality of Anchorage.

The areas of Anchorage with the highest crime rate is generaly associated with the NE areas, Mountain view, Fairview and Airport Heights.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,497,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcurious View Post
am planning to move to Alaska, but its going to be a journey that takes a few years. I have to graduate, find a job, and visit Alaska several times before I can commit.

I do have 2 questions. the first is how safe is Alaska, specifically anchorage, when it comes to wildlife? If you are in the heart of the city, am I correct in assuming a random bear attack has a zero chance of happening? what about Juneau or Fairbanks? will wild life like deer and moose wonder close by the city limits or is it not uncommon to see animals roaming around in populous places. I know that sounds like a dumb question but I am curious

also, which parts of anchorage are dangerous as far as crime? any particular areas that should be avoided?
Alaska, in general, is not a safe place to live. Nobody moves to Alaska to be safe.

Moose stompings and bear maulings are annual events. I remember one year during the mid-1990s Anchorage had 2 bear mauling deaths, 3 moose stomping deaths, and 4 deaths by other humans. The wildlife was killing us off faster than we were!

We have had bears inside high schools and grocery stores.

Police chase scavenging black bear out of Bartlett High | Anchorage | ADN.com

Bear cub in grocery store Ketchikan, Alaska - YouTube

The only members of the deer family in Anchorage or Fairbanks are moose and caribou. Moose are so large that they fear nothing and go where ever they please. You will find moose everywhere in Anchorage. They will be in your drive-way or your backyard. A six-foot tall chain link fence will not stop them.

Then there are the wolves. Both Anchorage and Fairbanks are regularly plagued with wolf attacks during the winter months. Typically the wolves go after domesticated pets, like dogs, because they are easy prey. I have only read about one wolf attack against a human, killing them, in the last 20 years. Which leads me to believe that wolf attacks against humans are a rare event.

If the wildlife do not get you, the weather or mother nature may. In addition to earthquakes occurring on a regular basis (the majority of the world's largest earthquakes have occurred in Alaska), Anchorage is within 100 miles, and downwind, of two very active volcanoes (Mount Spurr and Mount Redoubt, both have erupted in the last 25 years), and several more that are not as active.

Anchorage is not a safe place to live.

When it concerns crime in Anchorage, the areas you want to avoid are Fairview Area, Mountain View, Muldoon Area, and Spenard Area: Anchorage Areas

Last edited by Glitch; 11-29-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 AM

681 posts, read 1,210,906 times
If you're scared of animals it's probably best just to stay wherever you are.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,542,379 times
Talk about really fresh meat at the grocery store.

Now if Momma Bear would have heard that cry...

Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,063,787 times
Alaska is populated by human beings.

Anywhere that human beings are present will not be safe.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,073,604 times
and they ruin things. how can alaskan cities not be crime free. i as myself - what the hell do people want that they can refrain from harming someone, or stealing from them, or damaging something?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,640,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
what the hell do people want that they can refrain from harming someone, or stealing from them, or damaging something?
I'll just offer an observation, which is that people who are busy doing something constructive don't do much that's destructive. Destructive behavior can be minimized by ensuring people have something constructive to do, especially once they've shown they're willing to be destructive.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,855,884 times
There are things that you can do to minimize bear attacks in Anchorage. Most of these seem to happen while the victim is enjoying outdoor exercise of some type. If you run or bike for exercise, stay away from wooded trails, especially in the spring. Bears interpret rapid movement in their direction as "charging behavior" and will act accordingly; mother bears with new spring cubs are most likely to attack.

People will give you all sorts of advice on firearms, but your best defense against bear attacks is your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage