Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times

Advertisements

[quote=aquariusmom;2184006]Dusty where on earth do you get the idea homeschooling is a pseudonym for behaviorally challenged in NC??

Actually from several sources, a good friend of mine, a district court judge, says that over 80% of the problem youth that come through his court system are homeschooled. Other friends, policemen and lawyers tell me the same thing. In my neighborhood, three home schoolers have just been arrested for breaking and entering houses while the owners were away at work, they have been doing this for over a year, and were finally caught. My own experience does not bear out what you claim to be the truth of the matter. Also, how does someone in Cordova Alaska know "a lot" of kids in North Carolina, or at least have current information on them? I am in-between Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, the schools in this area are top notch. Yes, in some of the mountain counties, the poorer ones, the schools are not as good. and I fully understand that Alaska has a different reality concerning school and distance to them. But,... in this neck of the woods, Homeschooled are often problem kids.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM

201 posts, read 823,175 times
I guess I am challenging your sources. It just doesn't jive with anything I have learned or seen. Kids in the juvenile justice system run the gamut but typically the issue isn't coming from a home with dedicated homeschool parents, it's the complete opposite- "throw away" kids whose parents have NO involvement. I'm not an expert in the area of juvenile justice, but I have taken a few classes (my educational background is criminal justice and paralegal studies) geared specifically toward it and a homeschooling connection was never even hinted at. More typically kids in the system come from backgrounds that involve substance abuse, violence in the home, and/or a history of mental illness. More recently there have been a rash of "entitlement" kid crimes, typically from middle to upper class homes without a lot of direct parental involvement.

I really think your county judge is either on an anti-HS kick and is making up what he tells you OR he works in a county with an unusually, freakishly high number of homeschoolers- for 80% of the defendants before him to be homeschooled just doesn't add up statistically. Perhaps he is confusing drop outs with homeschooled students.

I'm familiar with homeschoolers in NC because when I homeschooled my son in SC (just last year) we belonged to several homeschool support lists for the Carolinas and reasons to homeschool were a frequent topic of discussion. I also spent 5 yrs in Hampton Roads previously and knew many across the border in Elizabeth City (which is not a mountain city but has some SERIOUS education issues). Additionally, my husband is from Raleigh, so of course we have many friends and family in the area. We don't live in a vacuum, and even up here we still communicate with our friends and family in the lower 48.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 PM

78 posts, read 278,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hello? I was merely wondering what the point of your post was. Perhaps if you don't want comments regarding what you choose to post, you should refrain from posting in public forums...Do tell.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...6-oh-hell.html

Any criticism from you about any posting carries absolutely no weight. See the above link.

Please try to be tolerate of other's posts like we are of yours. Remember, there are all types of people on the internet. Many seem to have no skin while others obviously have scant intelligence, yet here we are happily chatting away.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Can't explain your motivation for posting this in the first place so you have to resort to silly personal attacks, eh? LOL. Scat now.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
oh hell, will someone please explaing to me what "white" means anyway?
this is America, and we're all "mutts" by pedigree.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM

I think I just found bustknee's website:

Toward A National Discussion of the Negro Lifestyle

You're gonna laugh again, Xa'at.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...6-oh-hell.html

Any criticism from you about any posting carries absolutely no weight. See the above link.

Please try to be tolerate of other's posts like we are of yours. Remember, there are all types of people on the internet. Many seem to have no skin while others obviously have scant intelligence, yet here we are happily chatting away.
Hey man, that thread kicks major butt. Better to have no purpose than to spread hate... (Ahem)

Quote:
I think I just found bustknee's website:

Toward A National Discussion of the Negro Lifestyle

You're gonna laugh again, Xa'at.
Goodness! That is hilarious! Where do you find this crap?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh...google "landover baptist" Xa'at......someone I know better than anyone has actually written a small amount of stuff there...

Quote:
Thank you all for "being tolerate" of my posts.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Look guys! I found people to help me!
Exodus International - Home

I feel completed! Now I can live my life morally, in the way God intended!!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Oh...google "landover baptist" Xa'at......someone I know better than anyone has actually written a small amount of stuff there...
That's funny! I'm getting my free turkey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage