Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterg223 View Post
So far I have learned that Alaska is expensive(so is California), I can get a fixer upper for under 200k(for under 200 I can get a cardboard box under a bridge in Cali), the winters are cold, dark, and lonely( California’s weather is pretty much always the same). Since that has been established can anyone explain why they love Alaska and why they continue to live there? I’m being serious.
I have a home and a business in SE Alaska, some land in the interior, and a home in another state that I spend a lot of my time at.

I like the symphony, art galleries, decent restaurants, and other cultural amenities that aren't available in my community in SE. I also like being able to go for a walk with my dog even during the middle of winter, and that isn't always possible in my part of Alaska (it's not the cold so much but rather the wind and rain going sideways). But I've been going back and forth since I was a teenager; I've always had family in Alaska, so there was no real "I'm giving it all up and moving to Alaska" moment for me.

With you, I think it's going to depend on what you do for work. You mentioned a small business -- is it something you can do in Alaska?

ETA I don't know why you couldn't do fine with a fixer-upper if you have an okay income. One thing, though, that I don't think many people consider -- a lot of people move to Alaska for the outdoor activities and then find out that they're spending most of the year inside. My advice is that if you make the move, use some of that money to buy a couple of snow machines. It's a great way to get out during the long winters.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-06-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 PM

40 posts, read 35,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have a home and a business in SE Alaska, some land in the interior, and a home in another state that I spend a lot of my time at.

I like the symphony, art galleries, decent restaurants, and other cultural amenities that many Alaskans have little use for. I also like being able to go for a walk with my dog even during the middle of winter, and that isn't always possible in my part of Alaska. But I've been going back and forth since I was a teenager; I've always had family in Alaska, so there was no real "I'm giving it all up and moving to Alaska" moment for me.

With you, I think it's going to depend on what you do for work. You mentioned a small business -- is it something you can do in Alaska?

ETA I don't know why you couldn't do fine with a fixer-upper if you have an okay income. One thing, though, that I don't think many people consider -- a lot of people move to Alaska for the outdoor activities and then find out that they're spending most of the year inside. My advice is that if you make the move, use some of that money to buy a couple of snow machines. It's a great way to get out during the long winters.
Thank you. Great advice. The answer is yes and no to opening our business in Alaska. My wife and I run a Cleaning Business. We have two employees. We used to have more. Hiring good help was something that was hard to find. There is plenty of demand for that type of work out here. In Alaska, I imagine the only place with a high density of people who wouldn’t want to clean their own stuff would be in Anchorage and we have no intention of moving from the most populated metropolitan area in the country just to move to another. So no. That’s why buying a house in cash would be imperative. Then I could get a job working at Home Depot as an assistant store manager making 40 to 50k a year, just enough to pay my utilities, property taxes, groceries, and save a little to fly out every now and again. Home Depot was just an example.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:56 PM

Here are the areas I’m considering. Mainly for affordability purposes. Anchor point, Ninilchik, Kasilof, Nikiski, Kenai, Soldotna, Moose Pass, Sterling, Palmer, Wasilla, Big Lake, Houston, Willow, and Meadow Lakes. I know I’m beating a dead horse, but I’m just trying to educate myself. Thank you in advance. What do you think?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I'd forget about those areas and buy something like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...985_rect/9_zm/

It's small and rustic, but it's in one of the prettiest places in the state, and no property tax either.

Almost five acres -- you could put up cabins, tiny homes, or even yurts and either rent them out on Air B and B or to full-time residents (although I'd go the tourist rental route). You won't have to deal with zoning restrictions there, and it could be something you could build up as you go. Despite the high unemployment rate, there's always work available for a guy with some sense in that area.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:

It's small and rustic, but it's in one of the prettiest places in the state, and no property tax either.

Almost five acres -- you could put up cabins, tiny homes, or even yurts and either rent them out on Air B and B or to full-time residents (although I'd go the tourist rental route). Despite the high unemployment rate, there's always work available for a guy with some sense in that area.
We’ll keep that in mind. I hadn’t even considered that part of Alaska. And the Air B and B route has crossed our mind. We still like the idea of being self employed and I like the idea of acreage and no property taxes.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:59 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterg223 View Post
Here are the areas I’m considering. Mainly for affordability purposes. Anchor point, Ninilchik, Kasilof, Nikiski, Kenai, Soldotna, Moose Pass, Sterling, Palmer, Wasilla, Big Lake, Houston, Willow, and Meadow Lakes. I know I’m beating a dead horse, but I’m just trying to educate myself. Thank you in advance. What do you think?
I'm confused....what area were you looking for work in? Anchorage? If so, these areas on the Kenai Peninsula would be too far to drive every day: Ninilchik, Kasilof, Nikiski. They are shorter drives from the larger towns of Soldotna and Kenai if you were hoping to work there instead. So is Sterling. Anchor Point is much farther south; a reasonable drive from Homer, but Homer may not have the work opportunities. None are reasonable drives from the Anchorage bowl. They are "affordable" for a reason....not close to much and few work options. Moose Pass; doesn't seem like there's much on the market...either run down shacks or expensive vacation style homes if anything, and again, a headache of a drive to the city.

Palmer, Wasilla, Big Lake and Meadow Lakes would be commutable to Anchorage, but traffic can make it a serious headache. Only one major route in or out of the city..one wreck or road work and you'll be sitting for hours. Willow and Houston even farther out, but if you worked in Eagle River or Wasilla not that bad. Palmer is miles farther east.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Thank you. Anchorage was not a consideration at all. We want to stay out of Anchorage. I know work opportunities will be limited period. But like I said that is why I have to buy my house in cash, so that my biggest bill is eliminated. Utilities, insurance, cell phone payments, gas, groceries, and flying out every now and again, are the things I will need to work and save money for. What do you think of those areas in terms of living, crime, outdoors activities, and schools?

Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 AM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Where in Alaska does an LPN make good money? Except for doctors offices, assisted living centers and the Pioneers Home who even hires LPN's in Alaska?
You about nailed it.

You got something against LPN's? They spend anywhere from a year to 16 months in school full time and most use it as a stepping stone to becoming an RN because they need employment in the interim. They earn in the 40-50K range until they advance up.

In your case I suspect this is chump change, but probably not theirs.

If you want the big bucks you need to be a real estate agent ... lol. A $400 Internet course and a month will get you the license !!

Old 04-07-2018, 09:48 AM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
Quote:

Almost five acres -- you could put up cabins, tiny homes, or even yurts and either rent them out on Air B and B or to full-time residents (although I'd go the tourist rental route). You won't have to deal with zoning restrictions there, and it could be something you could build up as you go. Despite the high unemployment rate, there's always work available for a guy with some sense in that area.
Are you just building you post count or are you actually serious? That is really some worthless bad advice. I have a cabin there and it is very expensive.
Yea , get rich quick and build a bunch of expensive worthless cabins ... good grief.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
You about nailed it.

You got something against LPN's? They spend anywhere from a year to 16 months in school full time and most use it as a stepping stone to becoming an RN because they need employment in the interim. They earn in the 40-50K range until they advance up.

In your case I suspect this is chump change, but probably not theirs.

If you want the big bucks you need to be a real estate agent ... lol. A $400 Internet course and a month will get you the license !!
Being a real estate agent is not a bad idea. I’ll have a little time to decide what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage