Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 12:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times

Advertisements

There are these documentaries on Alaska here on tv sometimes about bush pilots and law enforcement in Alaska. Pretty remarkable to see how people in the smallest villages up north in Alaska are on crystal meth and that many people live in what looks like shacks, despite the terrible cold. They also mentioned that half a gallon of milk costs $25 dollar in Alaska because it needs to be flown in. Is that thing about the milk actually true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 PM

178 posts, read 282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
San Francisco is a city. New York is a city. Houston is a city. Anchorage is not a real city.

Freezing cold! Thank you!
Also is Virginia Beach! Virginia Beach is not a real city!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 12,995 times
Quote:
Don't come here like I did. It was a horrible decision coming here.

Anchorage is a little dinky town with nothing to do but drink. It's more of a suburb than a real city.
Wrong. Plenty of hikes to go on, ski slopes to traverse, walking paths to stroll down, concerts to attend downtown, and the list could continue for awhile. My wife and I miss it so much, we're moving back.

Quote:
If you are young/in your 20s, single, or both, you will most likely be bored and alone. Nonexistent dating scene. If you are a female especially, 80% of the guys are drunk seedy creeps. The other 20% are married.
I met my wife in Anchorage and had plenty of dating opportunities before that.

Quote:
The "outdoor activities" everyone brags about get REAL OLD REAL QUICK! Going snow machining is ok the first couple times. Woohoo. Not a place to move if you want to go to concerts or any cool events. Move to Anchorage if all you are planning on doing to staying inside all the time.
If you don't really enjoy the outdoors, maybe it does get old; but, I really miss taking a walk outside while it's snowing out. I live in Hawaii right now, so I'm really starting to miss snow and seasons (winter being my favorite).

Quote:
Food is ...horrible.
Taco King is amazing for some awesome and pretty authentic Mexican food. There is not shortage of decent Thai restaurants. Moose's Tooth is one of the best pizza places I've encountered anywhere. Downtown there is Snow Goose Cafe, Glacier Brew House, and Orso's, which are all pretty good. My favorite place is probably Jen's Restaurant, which is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. The food is actually fantastic compared to most places I've lived at and I've lived in plenty of major cities.

Quote:
I tried to like Anchorage, I really did. But I'm done. Sorry guys, just being honest. I'm planning to move to Cali, Bay area. The "Last Frontier" should be your last resort.
Anchorage probably isn't for everyone, but your points are parochial in your attempt to slander Anchorage for no other reason than to justify your misery.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I have found what Tyjen has posted to be accurate.

This place isn't for everyone - obviously - but it is for me.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
They also mentioned that half a gallon of milk costs $25 dollar in Alaska because it needs to be flown in. Is that thing about the milk actually true?
It does have to be flown in. I think $25 for a half gallon is a bit overblown. AC Value Center is the store in most communities. You can see their sale ads here: http://www.acvaluecenter.com/

Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
It does have to be flown in. I think $25 for a half gallon is a bit overblown. AC Value Center is the store in most communities. You can see their sale ads here: http://www.acvaluecenter.com/
Well, maybe I don't remember correctly and it might have been a gallon of milk for $25. The link is interesting, I didn't find my milk in the flyer but things like 2 bags of chips for $11 or a jar of vegetables for $7 make it seem like Alaska is about twice as expensive as the continental US and about 5 times as expensive where I live. I assume they pay you very high salaries up there? What about your heating bills? I know some Dutch people who paid $1500 per month last winter in continental US so I can't imagine what it would be like in Alaska.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
...make it seem like Alaska is about twice as expensive as the continental US and about 5 times as expensive where I live. I assume they pay you very high salaries up there? What about your heating bills? I know some Dutch people who paid $1500 per month last winter in continental US so I can't imagine what it would be like in Alaska.
It all depends on where in Alaska. Prices in Anchorage are comparable to prices in Seattle. As you get more rural in Alaska, prices go up steeply.
And no, wages are not that much higher. Most the people in rural Alaska live below the poverty line.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
If you live in am area where the produce (fruits/veggies) goes from the field or the port directly to the grocery store - then Anchorage is more money. I'll give a grapes comparison. In Miami grapes were $2.29 a pound vs. Wal-Mart in Eagle River - $5.99 a pound. I pay the same for Milk though - around $3.25 - $3.50 a gal. These are not "bush" prices though.

Bags of chips are about the same. $4.50 or so for the medium sized 13 1/4 oz. bags. Gas stations those will top $6/bag.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
It all depends on where in Alaska. Prices in Anchorage are comparable to prices in Seattle. As you get more rural in Alaska, prices go up steeply.
And no, wages are not that much higher. Most the people in rural Alaska live below the poverty line.
I'm a big fan of Alaska State Troopers and sadly that is what the series show as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If you live in am area where the produce (fruits/veggies) goes from the field or the port directly to the grocery store - then Anchorage is more money. I'll give a grapes comparison. In Miami grapes were $2.29 a pound vs. Wal-Mart in Eagle River - $5.99 a pound. I pay the same for Milk though - around $3.25 - $3.50 a gal. These are not "bush" prices though.

Bags of chips are about the same. $4.50 or so for the medium sized 13 1/4 oz. bags. Gas stations those will top $6/bag.
I'm also a big fan of Flying Wild Alaska and indeed it appears that the last part of the transportation is what makes the prices really high. Interesting to read some things are just as expensive in Anchorage as in continental US despite everything having to be driven through Canada.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
despite everything having to be driven through Canada.
Most of it, almost all of it comes via ship into the Port of Anchorage. Very little is shipped over the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage