Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Where are they all hiding?

I've seen drunk people stumbling around downtown before....but homeless camps? No.
All ya gotta do is look. They are out there. I've run across them out in Kincaid Park. In the summer they are very hard to spot. But in the fall after the leaves are off of the trees and willows not so much. Had a couple of encounters out there with homeless folks that left me very on-guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
All ya gotta do is look. They are out there. I've run across them out in Kincaid Park. In the summer they are very hard to spot. But in the fall after the leaves are off of the trees and willows not so much. Had a couple of encounters out there with homeless folks that left me very on-guard.
Alcohol, drugs, mental illness or any combination of the aforementioned certainly can make for some unpredictable or dangerous behavior in people.

With the pruning of low hanging tree branches and dense brushy vegetation in certain urban locales around Anchorage over the last decade, the more obvious homeless and their respective camps have been pushed to other less noticeable locations, nonetheless, their presence is still quite evident.

I have to mention though, that when considering other cities, Portland OR for example, the obvious presence of homeless and their camps, Anchorage pales in comparison.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Alcohol, drugs, mental illness or any combination of the aforementioned certainly can make for some unpredictable or dangerous behavior in people.

With the pruning of low hanging tree branches and dense brushy vegetation in certain urban locales around Anchorage over the last decade, the more obvious homeless and their respective camps have been pushed to other less noticeable locations, nonetheless, their presence is still quite evident.

I have to mention though, that when considering other cities, Portland OR for example, the obvious presence of homeless and their camps, Anchorage pales in comparison.
Same for Seattle.

I never saw so many bums as when I was a UW student. They were all over the campus.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:47 PM

434 posts, read 530,514 times
^Ha! Try coming to Tampa Fl.

We have thousands of them here. Seriously, in the winter seaosn like now, the regional homeless population swells well into 5 figures.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM

74 posts, read 176,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
Don't come here like I did. It was a horrible decision coming here.

Anchorage is a little dinky town with nothing to do but drink. It's more of a suburb than a real city.

If you are young/in your 20s, single, or both, you will most likely be bored and alone. Nonexistent dating scene. If you are a female especially, 80% of the guys are drunk seedy creeps. The other 20% are married.

The "outdoor activities" everyone brags about get REAL OLD REAL QUICK! Going snow machining is ok the first couple times. Woohoo. Not a place to move if you want to go to concerts or any cool events. Move to Anchorage if all you are planning on doing to staying inside all the time.

Food is ...horrible.

And if you have any pets, you have to keep them indoors all the time or else a wolf pack can get them.

I will admit the lights in the sky are cool, but really, are pretty lights really worth the loneliness, isolation, and bad food? NO.

I tried to like Anchorage, I really did. But I'm done. Sorry guys, just being honest. I'm planning to move to Cali, Bay area. The "Last Frontier" should be your last resort.
Dont let the door hit you in the ace

Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Or don't let the Aces hit in the Arse....

Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 AM

35 posts, read 57,295 times
Not sure what the OP was expecting. A pool with a cabana boy?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
Don't come here like I did. It was a horrible decision coming here.

Anchorage is a little dinky town with nothing to do but drink. It's more of a suburb than a real city.

If you are young/in your 20s, single, or both, you will most likely be bored and alone. Nonexistent dating scene. If you are a female especially, 80% of the guys are drunk seedy creeps. The other 20% are married.

The "outdoor activities" everyone brags about get REAL OLD REAL QUICK! Going snow machining is ok the first couple times. Woohoo. Not a place to move if you want to go to concerts or any cool events. Move to Anchorage if all you are planning on doing to staying inside all the time.

Food is ...horrible.

And if you have any pets, you have to keep them indoors all the time or else a wolf pack can get them.

I will admit the lights in the sky are cool, but really, are pretty lights really worth the loneliness, isolation, and bad food? NO.

I tried to like Anchorage, I really did. But I'm done. Sorry guys, just being honest. I'm planning to move to Cali, Bay area. The "Last Frontier" should be your last resort.
I haven't been following this thread at all, so my comments are purely based on the original thread.

1) I know people who moved to Anchorage and absolutely hated it, while other loved it. So, it depends on the person on whether or not you should move and would enjoy it.

2) I think there is some truth here. It will be hard to meet young, educated, successful single men or women in Anchorage if you don't work or go to school. I used to go out to Koots and while I would have a great time, I never met any person of the opposite sex that seemed educated and successful. However, walking around UAA with my dog, I encountered plenty of young, successful, and educated people.

3) I agree with you that Anchorage feels like a suburb and not a real city. However, the population is quite small, so it shouldn't surprise you.

4) Food is awful, I completely agree with you here. I've traveled around the world and have lived overseas, as well as in many cities throughout the US. The food in Alaska is some of the most overpriced and just not tasty or authentic I've had anywhere in the world. When Olive Garden is a popular option, you know the food is bad. I also hate how pretty much everything besides seasonal seafood is frozen or was previously frozen.

5) I don't agree that a person would feel lonely because the population is big enough to not feel lonely or isolated. However, I can understand being annoyed with having to fly to Seattle to go anywhere else.

6) I currently live in San Francisco, so if you have questions, feel free to DM me.

7) I forgot to make a point about outdoor activities. If you are an outdoorsman, there are very limited cities that offer as much as Anchorage in terms of outdoor activities, so someone who enjoys those things, would never feel bored.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 12-22-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 05:15 PM

22 posts, read 26,959 times
Down town Anchorage may not be New York city but it feels like a city to me. I am guessing the OP is at least fairly hot so yea anchorage is probably not the place to, but if your an average warm body looking for another average warm body then its fine.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM

22 posts, read 26,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I haven't been following this thread at all, so my comments are purely based on the original thread.

1) I know people who moved to Anchorage and absolutely hated it, while other loved it. So, it depends on the person on whether or not you should move and would enjoy it.

2) I think there is some truth here. It will be hard to meet young, educated, successful single men or women in Anchorage if you don't work or go to school. I used to go out to Koots and while I would have a great time, I never met any person of the opposite sex that seemed educated and successful. However, walking around UAA with my dog, I encountered plenty of young, successful, and educated people.

3) I agree with you that Anchorage feels like a suburb and not a real city. However, the population is quite small, so it shouldn't surprise you.

4) Food is awful, I completely agree with you here. I've traveled around the world and have lived overseas, as well as in many cities throughout the US. The food in Alaska is some of the most overpriced and just not tasty or authentic I've had anywhere in the world. When Olive Garden is a popular option, you know the food is bad. I also hate how pretty much everything besides seasonal seafood is frozen or was previously frozen.

5) I don't agree that a person would feel lonely because the population is big enough to not feel lonely or isolated. However, I can understand being annoyed with having to fly to Seattle to go anywhere else.

6) I currently live in San Francisco, so if you have questions, feel free to DM me.

7) I forgot to make a point about outdoor activities. If you are an outdoorsman, there are very limited cities that offer as much as Anchorage in terms of outdoor activities, so someone who enjoys those things, would never feel bored.
2) I dont know when you went to koots and had fun but after all the assults and violence there in the last decade its hard to let loose there. I used to go there between 7 and 10 but then you better leave before 11 otherwise it gets bad quick and if im having fun I dont want to be forced out by poor behavior so I just go other places now. I go to UAA for classes and its fine or go on line for a date and find an average or slightly below average looking person that treats you well and call it a day. Finding a romantic partner is like buying a car, get on get someone that mets your needs and get out of the market. I cant afford nor is it practicle for me to go to a car dealer ship and buy a farrari so I dont know why people do that in dating.

4) and olive garden is hugely expensive here as well lol

5) there are plenty of average to slightly below average looking people here willing to date but I am guessing the OP is pretty attractive and is looking for some kind of gentlemans club to have 3 or 4 6 figure income really nice looking guys chasing her lol. Does that actually happen in other big cities? I thought the whole point of being a good looking rich guy was to have women chase YOU, those guys will not be in koots ogglying some hussy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage