Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:57 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,992,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
San Francisco is a city. New York is a city. Houston is a city. Anchorage is not a real city.

Freezing cold! Thank you!
Did you check the population of Anchorage before moving there? Of course it's not on the same level as San Francisco...what the hell were you expecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
And I don't think Anchorage has hed below zero temps so far this winter.

2014 may be first year ever with no below-zero temps in Anchorage | Alaska Dispatch

Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 PM

434 posts, read 531,809 times
^hahaha, sweet.

People keep telling me, oh man you're crazy for moving to Anchorage. Pffft, the climate is quite similar to where I was born (Erie PA), just with a shorter summer and a longer winter.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times
Yep and I've shipped some pretty heavy things in those flat rate boxes. Like steel...

Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 AM

^Or tools... hmmm...

Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 AM

134 posts, read 195,904 times
I know some people who grow tomatoes in their house, either next to a south facing window or in a glass "mud" room (and it gets almost tropical hot in there from the sun and plants alone). also know people who grow in greenhouses in raised beds.

If it fits it ships. yep, used that.

I was just reading that article in adn about not getting below zero for the whole calendar year. i've been having to do more driving this winter, and not wearing my winter clothes, so am glad for that. but things should change in January to decrease the driving. I'm glad we did have a white Christmas :-)

Old 12-30-2014, 04:19 AM

I bet one of those hanging tomato plant in a basket things would do ok. Especially if you installed it so that it could be easily rotated as needed.

I think I'll try to find out if others have tried, and try it myself whenever we finally get up there.

I have seen plenty of plans around online for converting closets into indoor grow rooms, that can put out surprising yields. (esp hydroponic systems with automated light control and nutrient metering). I've discovered the secret there appears to be to simply get the stuff secondhand whenever you can, thereby dramatically lowering your capital costs, and shortening the time til it pays for itself. (or creating the possibility of paying for itself, depending on the value of what you grow)

I know someone in the DC area who has a closet system set up to grow high quality herbal refreshment, and its yield pays for some nice vacations from what I hear.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times
I have absolutely ZERO desire to be around the drug trade in any way, shape, or form. Whether legal or not.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,790,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
I bet one of those hanging tomato plant in a basket things would do ok. Especially if you installed it so that it could be easily rotated as needed.

I think I'll try to find out if others have tried, and try it myself whenever we finally get up there.

It can be done provided the light and heat requirements of the plants are met. Tomatoes need about 16 hours of light a day; some types may need a little less. They also need heat. The reason why many people don't do it in the winter is that the light and heat have to be supplied artificially, and that's expensive.

Alaskan Grown Produce - OUR PRODUCT - hydroponic tomatoes growing.jpg

Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I have absolutely ZERO desire to be around the drug trade in any way, shape, or form. Whether legal or not.
Obviously!

Just saying, I know it's possible to make a highly effective indoor grow room out of something like a closet. I was thinking more like herbs, tomatoes, asparagus and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage