Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM

319 posts, read 963,253 times

Advertisements

if ya look straight up on a cold dark night...away from town. i live out a bit. you can see satellites drift by. i never knew there were so many stars. nothing more refreshing then out of the hot tub and lay in the snow at -20. can't wait. going out on your snow machine shutting it off in the middle of no were listen to the quiet and on a clear night with a full moon u can enjoy the view. -40 and the truck won't start. wait a minute---better not go there. your truck is plowing snow and you don't even have a plow on it. i didn't say that! i'd never say ...when it snows a little for the first time between anchorage and wasilla i saw 57 cars in the ditch nope wouldn't say it. snow blowing so hard across the highway ya can't see the road. that never happens. the ground become's a sheet of ice for 7 months. no just kidding. the sun barely clears the mountains...and it's already setting. no not really. there's lots of daylight in the winter. at least 5 long long hours. i know i'd never move here. summers are so hot. got up to 72 this summer. i felt like a bug under a magnifying glass. it burned. i stayed in the shade all summer or had a long sleeve shirt on.yep i'd never live here that's for sure. lonely is a state of mind not a state. i'm glad i didn't move here. wide open space's. wild life.best fishing in the wold.where one fish will easily feed 4 to 6 people. some fish feed more. blue berry's cranberries .nope ain't moven there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM

138 posts, read 269,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post

Food is ...horrible.
Wait, what's wrong with the food?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
He probably ate at McDonalds or Taco Bell. There are plenty of good restraunts and grocery shopping. But then I grew up in the sticks eating fish, moose and garden raised stuff. So when I get into Anchorage I enjoy going out to different restraunts and the food is fine enough for me.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
I bet you guys have some stuff there THAT ISNT AVAILABLE down in the main states Rance!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
There are things at my local butcher shop up here in Eagle River that I have not seen anywhere else. Although I knew where to buy fresh gator meat in Florida...

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Well we have the option to buy fresh salmon that isn't humpies! Not to mention fresh prawns and crab.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM

319 posts, read 963,253 times
Default poisoned food?

what's wrong with the food? come on tell me.i really want to know. WHAT'S wrong with it? are we going to die? we're being poisoned. I KNEW IT. that's it isn't it. the food we get from the lower 48 is poisoned. O.M.G. your just trying to get people not to move up here so you can keep it all to yourself. nice try. telling people our food is poison. i think you enjoyed it quite a bit.or should i say bite. the cleanest coldest water in the world.biggest freshest fish anywhere. king crab right out of the sea into a boiling pot. snow crab. dungie's, tanner. lots others. what bout shrimp? mmmm. halibut. ling cod. geese, ducks, grouse all poisoned damned. lake trout. biggest anywhere. so i now know you live right here in ak. probably living on and enjoying all that. ya along with moose.or do you enjoy caribou more? i like both.so you laugh and laugh at us as you pick your teeth with a king crab leg . telling everyone our food is poisoned. oh ya lonely. boo hoo me. ain't workin on me. i now know your kicking back enjoying the solitude and quite . lucky you. rub it in. rainy today. i LOVE the rain. i like all kinds of salmon. fresh,smoked even canned pinks. it's all good. sep those damn stink eggs the Indians can have em. herring row is good. they lay their eggs on tree branches eat it off the branch. that's not poison. No one believe's you. you live in Alaska and enjoy the food and solitude. and are over whelmed by the big city off anchorage. don't feel bad i to suffer in that way. keep up the good work in promoting our state. poisoned food i sure do admire you for that one. wished i'd thought of it. damn! no one tells me nothin.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
Whats wrong with the food? Mediocre at best and expensive. From overcooked salmon and undercooked chicken at the Brewhouse, watery sauces at other mid/high end restaurants. Overpriced pizza at the mooses tooth.
Specials in chain restaurants (applebees, TGI fridays etc) aren't honoured in AK so expect to pay $30 for lunch for 2.

Availability of fresh seafood is a given, excepting of course unless you catch it yourselves its bought through the fish markets in Seattle before heading back to Alaska.

The best food we had in Alaska was the food we cooked ourselves.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
Don't come here like I did. It was a horrible decision coming here.

Anchorage is a little dinky town with nothing to do but drink. It's more of a suburb than a real city.

If you are young/in your 20s, single, or both, you will most likely be bored and alone. Nonexistent dating scene. If you are a female especially, 80% of the guys are drunk seedy creeps. The other 20% are married.

The "outdoor activities" everyone brags about get REAL OLD REAL QUICK! Going snow machining is ok the first couple times. Woohoo. Not a place to move if you want to go to concerts or any cool events. Move to Anchorage if all you are planning on doing to staying inside all the time.

Food is ...horrible.

And if you have any pets, you have to keep them indoors all the time or else a wolf pack can get them.

I will admit the lights in the sky are cool, but really, are pretty lights really worth the loneliness, isolation, and bad food? NO.

I tried to like Anchorage, I really did. But I'm done. Sorry guys, just being honest. I'm planning to move to Cali, Bay area. The "Last Frontier" should be your last resort.
No.

You're being dishonest.

You are trying to pass off your dislike of a certain place as an objective assessment that others would not like that place. Yet is is very obvious that many people in Anchorage in fact like it very much. Further, this is much less about you caring whether or not another prospect transplant to Anchorage should make the move and more about giving you a platform to complain about Anchorage. You don't care about such people - you just contrived 'concern' for them in order to knock some place you don't like.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to live in a certain place. All people have preferences. But the problem with you - and with many others - is that they confuse their own tastes for some sort of absolute truth.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM

He's not the first...and I'm sure won't be the last to come on here crying about Anchorage. Obviously moved up here expecting some big city only to be highly disappointed in the reality of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage