Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,263,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
To me....the longer daylight and sunshine hours get me down ....same as too much darkness gets some down....but it is the opposite of me. I have reverse SAD....it isnt common. I sweat also very much and much about 70F is pretty miserable for me outside. I believe I have a higher set body temperature than most and thus get warm very easily and withstand cold much easier.
I've apparently repped you too many times already so to this post I will merely just have to agree wholeheartedly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I've apparently repped you too many times already so to this post I will merely just have to agree wholeheartedly
Thank you..... while much more uncommon there are those of us out there. I live in the far north central U.S. close to Winnipeg Canada so in a relatively good spot. But born in the American south and was miserable growing up.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Interesting Kamsack... I long for dark places and I can't stand the heat either. It was one of the reasons we picked AK to move to. I don't get depressed in sunlight - I can handle it - but I found myself being hermitted in the summer in the Southern US. I didn't want to go out and do anything.

And I sweat up here like crazy when the temps hit the upper 60s. To point when I am in a store I get asked if I am OK by strangers.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,263,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Interesting Kamsack... I long for dark places and I can't stand the heat either. It was one of the reasons we picked AK to move to. I don't get depressed in sunlight - I can handle it - but I found myself being hermitted in the summer in the Southern US. I didn't want to go out and do anything.

And I sweat up here like crazy when the temps hit the upper 60s. To point when I am in a store I get asked if I am OK by strangers.
That's how I get in artificially overheated spaces. This amounts to most anywhere I go, unfortunately. Have literally had people ask me in the checkstand if I was sunburned, but in reality I was flushed from becoming rapidly overheated in their stifling store

I hope the stores in Alaska will be a little more reasonable in the way they heat lol.

Growing up in SoCal, I was miserable as well

Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM

So far they are not bad - but winter hasn't hit so the heat is really off.

I have to go in and out of the hospitals a lot in Anchorage and that blast of hot air they throw down when you first walk in is bad. I can only imagine what that is going to feel like in the winter. I hope the stores are not that bad.

FWIW, I sleep with the windows open and no heat here so far almost every night. Although my wife is starting to get a little cold, so the windows will close.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,904,050 times
I think the majority (80%) of the people move to Alaska to get away from something. That could be people, family, traffic, weather, or just about anything. These people tend to be loners, as Alaska is isolated for the most part. The OP sounds like a social butterfly, so it's no wonder she doesn't fit in Alaska. I couldn't imagine living in San Francisco. Ever visited there? No thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,839,262 times
I don't see how snowmobiling could get old. I could go nuts on one of those things.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,345,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I think the majority (80%) of the people move to Alaska to get away from something. That could be people, family, traffic, weather, or just about anything.
And some people are trying to get away from themselves and have not yet realized that "wherever you go, there you are."

Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 PM

What percentage of people more to get away from something move somewhere else in the US? Like Colorado...

I know a bunch of people that moved to Colorado to get away from something or in our case get to something like a job...

I'd like to now how you got that percentage, seeing as there are a whole lot of people here in AK involuntarily - they call it the military. They tend to put you where they need you...

Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM

7,734 posts, read 6,479,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I never understood people who want more cold and darkness. I know they exist. I just don't understand the draw.

Well, I've only lived in 2 places. Cuba, and Florida. I find heat overrated. I'm moving to Texas, but for the winter and spring, and the weather there, atleast for those months, beats Florida IMO. Heat is exhausting and tiring, and cold weather (preferably 50s-40s, but freezing too) feels invigorating and refreshing to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage