Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 AM

19 posts, read 54,453 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Anchorage from Mississippi in mid-February. We also have five small children who have never seen or played in the snow (ages 6 1/2, 5, 4, 3 1/2, 2, and 3 months). I want to purchase a few things ahead of time, because I know that the first thing they are going to want to do when we get there is play out in the snow. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on the best places to purchase outdoor wear for children/toddlers/babies(and adults as well, since my husband and I will be needing things too). I have been looking at the Lands End and LL Bean websites. Also, any advice on the best types of coats, snowpants, boots, hats, gloves, etc. for children and babies would be helpful. For example, I just learned last night that a "parka" offers more coverage than a "jacket." I did live in Chicago for 18 years growing up, so I have a little bit of an idea of the type of things to buy, but I have been in the south now for the last 20 years, and I feel like I am a little lost as far as what to buy for our Alaskan adventure. I appreciate any help you can offer, as everyone has been very helpful about my elementary school questions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,664 times
What part of MS? I am in MS also and possibly moving to Alasksa in the summer of 2008. I have two children, ages 5 and 18 months, and have the same questions about clothing.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 252,573 times
for kids, at least, for my kid, I like snow pants that are like overalls...but that have almost a sock-like thing that can tuck into her boots when she wears them. Keeps the snow out.
Detachable hoods are good because then as the weather warms up, you can remove it and whatnot. For your littlest one, go for a full blown snow suit, but personally, I prefer two pieces as my daughter is 3 1/2....snow pants and the seperate snow jacket.
You can find decent jackets and things pretty much anywhere....Honestly, I moved up here from Duluth MN and I am finding that it's warmer here than there and I haven't needed to do much to change my wardrobe. It's always helpful to dress in layers! But of course, you want to let your kids play,...not end up like Randy in Christmas Story!!!

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM

We are moving from Meridian, MS, where we have been for ten years. We are so looking forward to living in Anchorage, and I am definitely ready for my kids to participate in all of the fun outdoor activities Alaska offers. I appreciate the help about the snow pants, removable hoods, etc. These are things I do not know about, since the last time I lived in an area where there was snow, I did not have five children to try to keep warm and happy

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
As a teacher in Anchorage, I agree that separate snow pants & coats are better than full snowsuits for school age students. The kids tend to want to wear the full snowsuits on field trips & such without putting their legs into them, just wearing the coat, & tripping all over the flapping pant legs (I don't know if Southerners can actually picture that- but we see it all the time here)

I think thrift shops are the best for kids' snow gear. If you could see the amount of gear that school children lose each day it is pretty discouraging. Especially kids from outside who are not used to having to take care of boots, gloves, scarves, hats, coats, etc. So buying expensive gear doesn't make a lot of sense. There are lots of great thrift shops right here in Anchorage, Value Village on Diamond or Northern Lights being a favorite. Plus, kids grow so darn fast so they grow out of what they don't lose. Of course, it looks like you have a stepping-stone hand-me-down system in that family line up, eh?!

Gloves and mittens need to be padded rather than those light polyester knit. Attachments are great to keep the gloves from being lost.

For adults and even children, Cabellas has great Alaskan gear for the money. We have worn Cabellas parkas for many years.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:15 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Here is where we bought most of the outside clothes for the kids.

http://www.bigrays.com/

Supplimented by the local department stores. This is in addition to the above suggestions.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I second the thrift shop idea. It's reasonable, and most of the clothes there have been worn for maybe one season. Personally, I like my Carharrt's jacket. It is a part of me. (No, it doesn't stand up by itself from lack of cleaning!)

Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Thank you everyone for these great suggestions! The thrift shop idea does make a lot of sense, and I appreciate all of your help. I will check out the various websites and stores mentioned.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Word of advice: don't buy too much. Two reasons. One, it's much cheaper to get everything in Alaska. Secondly, the kind of heavy-weather gear you need typically isn't sold in the states, as it doesn't get nearly cold enough here to warrant it - well, maybe in Montana or Minnesota. I bought everything in the states and felt like an idiot when I got up there only to find that nothing I bought could keep me warm. With little ones, you really need to be extra careful.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieswen View Post
We are moving from Meridian, MS, where we have been for ten years. We are so looking forward to living in Anchorage, and I am definitely ready for my kids to participate in all of the fun outdoor activities Alaska offers. I appreciate the help about the snow pants, removable hoods, etc. These are things I do not know about, since the last time I lived in an area where there was snow, I did not have five children to try to keep warm and happy
Just let me know what you are looking for - sizes, etc. I own a store in New Port Richey, FL and the grandparents here buy their children heavy winter clothing for possibly 5 days of weather. They are sold at about 70 percent of average retail and there is not a mark on them. About 25 percent have never even been worn. I have jeans, jackets, parkas, hoodies, 2-pc, outerwear - just all kinds of things - even the knit hats (wool, etc.) gloves and these things are just not worn that much here. But, they sure are sold. You can contact me through here or at the store e-mail at hereslookinatyoukid@verizon.net http://www.photoshow.com/maker/share/iZ7ZE9Qj (broken link)

Last edited by Danielle Baillie Posner; 12-30-2007 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: To Include Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage