Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,415 times

Advertisements

...or do

My family of four is likely moving to Anchorage from Florida for my husband's job, sometime between May and August. We have a single vehicle and it's a Honda Fit. Is there any chance we could stick with that vehicle or is that the dumbest idea ever? I would like to avoid purchasing a new vehicle but I realize that it might be impossible to avoid. Possibly relevant: I had a lot of experience driving in snow and ice at one time but it has been about 10 years and even longer for my husband.

If we do need a new (to us) vehicle, is it true that we're better off purchasing down here and driving it up?

Thanks for your help! And you're welcome for the laughs...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 03:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,191,492 times
Well for safety I would suggest a tank for the first snowstorm of the season as everyone seems to relearn how to drive on snow and ice every year. If you could get studded tires on the Fit it might do OK. It just wouldn't do good in an accident with a 4x4 pickup or a big SUV. I don't know what the market here would be for a Fit. My daughter drives a Civic with studs and is OK [she grew up driving here]but it doesn't take much snow to get her high centered on the subdivisions.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM

195 posts, read 278,932 times
I drive a car that is comparable to a Honda Fit. During the winter I just put studded tires on and drive carefully. That being said, I have driven in snow all of my life and we have a 4WD vehicle that we drive in the winter if we are going to be driving a ton in the snow/ the weather is extra awful. I also live in the SE and snow isn't as big of an issue here. My tiny car does do great getting me back and forth to work (5ish miles) in the winter though.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,311,561 times
I have seen a few honda fits in Fairbanks. With studded tires or blizzaks they should be ok. How are you going to fit the snowmachine in the back of the fit? You're going to want a truck . Don't be this guy

Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
You're going to need a second vehicle once you get here anyway. Anchorage is a large place. Buy a used suv or pickup after you get here. No need to buy a brand new one.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have seen a few honda fits in Fairbanks. With studded tires or blizzaks they should be ok. How are you going to fit the snowmachine in the back of the fit? You're going to want a truck . Don't be this guy
The 4 wheeler tires are bigger than that car's! They should have the car on the trailer being towed by the 4 wheeler!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie5175 View Post
...or do

My family of four is likely moving to Anchorage from Florida for my husband's job, sometime between May and August. We have a single vehicle and it's a Honda Fit. Is there any chance we could stick with that vehicle or is that the dumbest idea ever? I would like to avoid purchasing a new vehicle but I realize that it might be impossible to avoid. Possibly relevant: I had a lot of experience driving in snow and ice at one time but it has been about 10 years and even longer for my husband.

If we do need a new (to us) vehicle, is it true that we're better off purchasing down here and driving it up?

Thanks for your help! And you're welcome for the laughs...?
Don't be the jackass that gets stuck on the tiniest hill and gets hung up in gutters and holds everyone else up during every snowfall...you might laugh but I've seen it all. I had to push people's cars out of my FLAT driveway simply because it was slick out. Sell that thing and buy a beater Subaru or other reliable 4WD.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,415 times
Thank you for all of your replies!

I don't want to be that guy but I do want to be the cheap guy. So we're definitely selling the Fit down here. Is Subaru the way to go? Those are far and view between down here but seem to be recommended for up there. Should we go Forester, Outback, or can we manage with an Impreza? Will get studded tires no matter what.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,311,561 times
Subarus are good cars and anyone should do.... However any AWD car will perform better than the fit. You don't HAVE to get a subie, there are many AWD cars available as well that you shouldn't rule out if you find a good deal on one.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
Honestly, I'd probably keep the fit for good weather driving, and get a heavier cheapish used AWD vehicle for the days where driving the Fit would be unsafe. When gas prices go back up it'll probably cancel out the extra insurance cost of having two vehicles pretty quickly. And a fun little car is great for summer road trips, given the distances we're talking about driving to go anywhere in AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage