Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,790 times

Advertisements

We have our cruise departing from Seward. We fly in to Anchorage on a Saturday. Hertz is the only rental company that would work for our one way car rental. We cannot use their downtown location because it's closed on Sat. and Sun. So ofcourse, I'm stuck with the costliest option of picking up the car from Anchorage airport and dropping it next day at Seward. The prices are driving me mad. We are a family of 4 and will have atleast 3 medium sized bags. A full size car is coming to $200 . Any cost saving tips ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
You could try the Train,
Most Cruise Run Charter Buses also.

Buy yes, One Way Rental cost big $'s Hertz, might have to pay someone to go down, get it bring it back.

But still might be the cheapest... to Rents... When you have four People...

Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,790 times
Yes. I decided on car rental because for 4 people it's still the cheapest option. Also, from what I've read the drive from Anchorage to Seward is very scenic and we want to be able to stop and drive on our own schedule. I just thought that maybe the experts here had some money saving tips on Hertz car rental. Thank you

Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Hertz is the only rental in Seward and the one way drop off fee is hefty. But for me, the flexibility of having the rental car and being able to explore on the way down is worth it.
You are going to find a lot about travel in Alaska is more expensive than other places. Just the way it works.
The Trip Advisor forum for Alaska is also a great planning resource: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States

Old 03-06-2015, 06:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
It's a huge hit, but at least you have a company that will let you do it. And I am with AkStafford on this, having the flexibility to go see a couple of glaciers on the way to Seward is worth the $200... (IMHO) You could see Bryan and Exit Glacier for sure. And then the aquarium in Seward (that I still want to go see). And everything is Alaska priced here... Get ready for other sticker shocks along the way too. Fuel and restaurant food - even fast food.

If it is a nice out you could stop in Girdwood and turnagain arm and take some pictures and look around and there are some hiking trails. Sometimes this area is very windy, foggy/cloudy, and/or raining. And judging that based on weather in at the Ted Stevens Anchorage Airport doesn't work well.

There are other things to do, those are just a few suggestions to look at.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
I agree that the cost is worth every penny if you take the time to enjoy the drive. Make several stops and burn the daylight along the way. Visit Girdwood, Portage, Hope, Cooper Landing(take the right at the "Y" to Soldotna for a short detour), Moose Pass, take photos and enjoy the scenery. For the cost and the scenic views you could not come close to what a guided tour could provide let alone the convenience of your own schedule.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,572 times
I get snarked at and told I'm wrong when I say things are more expensive up here.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Actually that's not sticker shock. That's pretty normal for summertime in Alaska. During the summer there are no cost saving tips. Check with others on the Alaska forum on Crusie Critic.com and you'll find most others are paying the same price for that same one-way car rental. Just plan on paying that much and move on. If you're looking for a cheap summer vacation I'd suggest you go to Oklahoma City or Little Rock, Arkansas. Both of those are cheap places. And you'll get what you pay for.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
If $200 for a one way car rental is driving you mad, just wait until you stop for lunch!

You'll want to take full advantage of that, make that side trip to Hope if you can. And if you feel really adventurous, take the side trip from Hope up Palmer Creek road, it goes well into the mountain valleys and is well spectacular. Bear Creek road in Girdwood is another nice side trip

Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
More on food stops, it might be an idea to eat a hearty breakfast before you leave Anchorage or grab some lunch in Girdwood as there isn't anything else much between there and Seward. Summit Lake Lodge may or may not be open and even if it is it gets very busy in summertime. Seward does have some good seafood restaurants though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage