Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM

187 posts, read 346,388 times

Advertisements

My son is helping a friend drive from Asheville NC to Anchorage. Should arrive in Anchorage on Friday this week and have 3.5 days to hang out before flying home on Tuesday.

I'm seeing that a lot of the tour companies and outfitters don't open till May. He was hoping to find some great hikes, excursions, maybe some fishing. Would love to see the glaciers. Very active, 26 years old.

Haven't decided if should rent a car. I saw some bike rental places online. Are any open this time of year?

Also haven't decided whether to camp or stay in an inexpensive hotel/hostel. Any suggestions on either?

If YOU had 3 days in Anchorage, and you were the outdoor adventure type, what would YOU do?

Suggestions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
Rent a car and head out of Anchorage. There's whale watching in Seward: Kenai Fjords Tours | Alaska Glacier Cruises and Tours
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is open: Home - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
There's the tram at Alyeska: Alaska Tram Rides | Aerial Tram | Alyeska Resort
We are just coming off of winter. So at higher elevations, there'll be a lot of snow. Which limits access to hikes & glaciers. Fishing hasn't ramped up yet either.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 AM

187 posts, read 346,388 times
Thanks for the suggestions! Would it be reasonable for him to go to Denali given his time frame of 3 days?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,085,600 times
It's been a low snow year, so more hiking is probably available than usual right now. Lots of good early season trails along the western end of Turnagain Arm (McHugh Creek, Rainbow Ridge, etc). Mile High Pass outside Eagle River, and Bodenburg Butte up by Palmer are also reliable early melters. Going to Denali in April really wouldn't be much fun, and is A LOT of driving for 3 days. It's better to head south, toward Seward, since all the country in between is mountainous and interesting.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
I wouldn't recommend Denali with your short time frame. And the park road is only open to mile 30 anyway...

Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,739,729 times
Rent the car and go see stuff. I'd also recommend the drive to Seward. Lots of nice scenery and junk to see. Back in Anchorage I'd suggest a hike down the costal trail at Kincaid Park. Start out at the chalet and head down the hill. Walk 2 1/2 mile and turn around and come back. Almost guaranteed to see a few moose, up close.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM

44 posts, read 158,201 times
Kite sailing on Cook Inlet is a lot of fun! You said he is adventurous...

Last edited by raemarti; 04-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,432,907 times
Definitely recommend renting a car. You just can't get to anything good without one, unless you just like city stuff.

The only good place I know for camping in Anchorage is at the Harley dealership .Free for motorcyclists, not sure about others. I guess you could backcountry camp if you want to, but it's easy to miss the good stuff if you don't know your way around. Me, I'd airbnb a cheap room, rent a car, and do day hikes. Glen Alps is the biggest trailhead near to town and you could entertain yourself for days out of that location. Williwaw Lakes, Hidden Lake, and Flattop Mountain and the ridge behind it are great hikes for fit folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage