Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 AM

14 posts, read 94,169 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife was born in Anchorage and lived there until 7 years old, then moved to Sacramento. She really wants to go back to Alaska. I'm from Sacramento, and have lived here for 20 years or so. I've lived all around the country in the past 5 years or so; Eureka, Roseville, Sacto, Fremont, San Luis Obispo, Oxnard, San Diego, Mexicali, Oklahoma, Utah, Iowa, Tennessee, etc. But am back in Sacramento, which is horrible in comparison. We're moving to Anchorage in March, and really just want to know about job oppurtunities for someone like myself who has a GED and no college. We live far below the state poverty line here in Cali but we ARE good people, unlike our neighbors. Like others I've read on this post, we desire moving back to America. Please let me know about job oppurtunities for someone such as myself, or maybe programs to learn a trade. Is it very possible to work on those oil fields I keep reading about, while living in Anchorage? By the way, don't worry we wont be bringing California with us, we're glad you have a BETTER culture where hopefully power, Brittney Spears, and Snoop Dogg aren't programming everyone into a demented abyss of a mental state. Which areas are affordable and still decent for quiet, polite people? Also, I did notice that the rape rate there in Anchorage is a little on the high side, any comments on why or how bad it is? Thanks for any comments ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Alaska Job Center Network

adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more

DM me with an e-mail addy and I can send you a petroleum directory containing all the contact info for all the oilfeild companies active in this state, in a pdf type file.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 PM

21 posts, read 101,181 times
you dont need to worry about rapes. you can look it up on the census website, but im sure it doesnt even come close the stuff that goes on in cali. just dont live in spenard, muldoon or moutain view. you will be fine.

there are many oil companies up on the slope. they pay well and you could do it with no college. research them and apply, maybe you will meet someone who can get you in the door.

it is a beutiful place and recomend you moving there. my parents were in the same situation you were in when we moved there. my dad found a good paying job and its a great place to grow up.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool.guy View Post
you dont need to worry about rapes. you can look it up on the census website, but im sure it doesnt even come close the stuff that goes on in cali. just dont live in spenard, muldoon or moutain view. you will be fine.
What happened to Muldoon? Spenard's been a place to avoid forever, and Mountain View not far behind, but when I lived in Muldoon the only thing to worry about were the occasional moose in the yard [if you had kids who needed to go to school], and there were a few after hours clubs, but they were definitely low key.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,197 times
Kari, besides the trailer park off of Muldoon the rest seems fine. I have lived in Muldoon for four years and never once had a problem. If there is any major crime, it always seems linked to that one trailer park. So look for a place a bit away from it.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeBrownSky View Post
We're moving to Anchorage in March, and really just want to know about job oppurtunities for someone like myself who has a GED and no college.
so what.
it's the person that counts up here. get your foot in the door, proove yourself, and they'll never let you go.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Heck I barely finished highschool yet work a petroleum engineering position. Sure it took 16 years or so to obtain it, but I have experience a college trained petroleum engineer will never get. Hands on!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeBrownSky View Post
We're moving to Anchorage in March, and really just want to know about job oppurtunities for someone like myself who has a GED and no college. We live far below the state poverty line here in Cali but we ARE good people, unlike our neighbors. Like others I've read on this post, we desire moving back to America. Please let me know about job oppurtunities for someone such as myself, or maybe programs to learn a trade.

Also, I did notice that the rape rate there in Anchorage is a little on the high side, any comments on why or how bad it is? Thanks for any comments ahead of time.
It's actually easier to find jobs in some ways. There's no de facto gender discrimination the way there is in the lower 48. I've known women who work on and run fishing boats, drive heavy equipment, work as linemen for the phone company, work as carpenters and long shoremen, and men who were nurses and secretaries and teachers and accountants. It's a matter of what you can or want to do. The one real requirement is that if you say you can do something, you'd better be able to do it or you're out on your keister. The only exceptions are that men can't work as strippers in, say, The Bush Company, and women can't work as strippers at Chip-n-Dales. Bartending and waiting is a whole different thing, anyone can do that - if they can.

Used to be a lot of people from elsewhere posting on the old ACA, asking about 'jobs for women' and 'jobs for men.' They always got the same answer as above, and they'd get all tweaked and think we were either making fun of them or trying to discourage them from coming north. I never realized until I went back south after 30 years that in spite of the Equal Employment Opportunity BS, the rest of the country was still stuck in the Middle Ages. No wonder they never believed us.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
You asked about programs to learn a trade. Some may balk at the idea, but we do set the standard in the construction industry. Look into apprenticeships through the various unions, and don't limit yourself to Anchorage. Keep in mind before applying that you will have to pass random drug and alcohol screenings, be able to maintain a drivers liscence. Have a High school diploma, or GED. Show transcripts of grades, be a US citizen and a few other things depending on the union. Expect a interview if you get that far. The union is investing hundreds of thousnads of $ into each apprentice in costs related to training them, they expect much and have high standards. Your commited to them for 5 years typically, but in the end you can end up with a very well paying career, something they can't ship over seas, but you may also have an oppertunity for travel too.

Check out Alaska Works programs. or Department of Labor or any of the local unions that interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage