U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 AM

12 posts, read 17,039 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Anchorage, AK from Temecula, CA. It is a job related move, but the job is not paying for the move. I was looking for recommendations on moving companies and vehicle transport. Can anyone please share in their experiences and give some good recommendations for a reliable company while at a reasonable price? Don't want to break the break to ship my items and vehicles, but I also want my stuff to arrive (and in one piece).

T.I.A.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM

469 posts, read 844,070 times
Wow, Temecula to Anchorage will be a rude awakening. I used bekins a number of years ago. They did a good job and nothing was lost or broken. Make sure everything is marked correctly. All they do is number and label the box "Kitchen or kids room etc. Hard to file claim for a box labeled "Books or Dishes". I moved all my precious cargo myself. Photos, heirlooms etc were in my car. I drove from Los Angeles to Anchorage took 7 days but we were sight seeing. I stayed there for 8 years before I had to move back.

Winter really took a toll on us, summers were incredible but far too short.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,635 times
Air Van is a good company to use. If your goods are already packed you might also try Span Alaska. It's always cheaper if you can get your boxes to the dock yourself. You can go on uship.com and ask for bids. They will need space and weight of your goods. Shipments are always a min of 10# per cubic foot, so shipping things like mattresses is not economical. Craigs list always has lots of furniture. Wrightway Auto is usually cheapest for auto transport. It's based on size. Another alternative is to ride the Alaskan Ferry system with your car. You'll need to book far in advance, so don't tary if you want to go this route. You can camp on deck or rent a cabin, but you can't stay in your car. It's a beautiful drive if you drive there. Plan on 4-5 days. Go the Alaskan Highway, not the Cassiar Highway. Neighborhoods: Stay away from Mountain View and Fairview, higher crime rates. Muldoon area is very demographically diverse, crime is moderate. Midtown is okay if you are East of Northern Lights Blvd. Jewel lake and anything in the East is good with low crime rates. I have lived in Anchorage twice, love the city. Spent a total of 10 years there.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM

I have used a couple of these places. Listed my stuff on Uship, but how reliable is that site? The 2 guys that were interested have been members on there for less than a week. Don't want some guy driving off with all my family's stuff! I am originally from Minnesota so I know a thing or 2 about harsh winters. Is the drive something that is enjoyable with 2 kids and a dog? I saw that one way tickets were only $135 per person from LA to Anchorage right now. The ferry system was quoting me for more than it would be to just have someone pick up all my stuff and ship it from my residence. I will look into bekins, Air Van, and Span Alaska as well. Also, Wrightway Auto to ship the vehicles. Also, thanks for the route recommendation if we choose to drive up there.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM

How much should I be expecting to pay to move all of this stuff? Originally I had thought it would be no more than 5k to have someone move everything, but I have never made a move like this. Seems that I am finding quotes to be much higher. The cheapest I have found was $6200 for everything and both cars on uship.com but I do know how trustworthy that website is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: