Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 PM

149 posts, read 197,942 times

Advertisements

SLOW DOWN ! 1/3 of the way there to civilization. Ya taking the main (more populated) Hwy 97 from Watson Lake (to Dawson)? I never tried the 37 as it seemed too rural. Low tire pressure means overheating (same as too heavy load) - put the heavy dumbbells in the car .
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 PM

131 posts, read 156,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That's why I would like to try to see something myself.
Hey, Pitts, read this:

Bad UFOs: Skepticism, UFOs, and The Universe: "Top Ten" UFO Case - Yukon, Canada, 1996 - BUSTED!

If the link doesn't work, it says:

Oberg contacted the Canadian satellite expert Ted Molczan with the details of this case. Molczan is probably the world's top civilian expert on observing earth satellites and calculating satellite orbits. Molczan looked into the matter carefully, and came up with an exact match: "the observed phenomena were due to the re-entry of the 2nd stage of the rocket that placed Cosmos 2335 into orbit earlier the same day." Should anyone doubt this, Molczan provides details of the mathematical calculations that support this conclusion.

(Sorry about the thread derail.)

Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenehaven View Post
SLOW DOWN ! 1/3 of the way there to civilization. Ya taking the main (more populated) Hwy 97 from Watson Lake (to Dawson)? I never tried the 37 as it seemed too rural. Low tire pressure means overheating (same as too heavy load) - put the heavy dumbbells in the car .
good luck
I always take 37. It's shorter and far more senic. The only time I wouldn't recommend it is for the first time winter driver. Especially during December and January mainly due to darkness. Otherwise I'll never drive the whole Alcan.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Well that's a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
Hey, Pitts, read this:

Bad UFOs: Skepticism, UFOs, and The Universe: "Top Ten" UFO Case - Yukon, Canada, 1996 - BUSTED!

If the link doesn't work, it says:

Oberg contacted the Canadian satellite expert Ted Molczan with the details of this case. Molczan is probably the world's top civilian expert on observing earth satellites and calculating satellite orbits. Molczan looked into the matter carefully, and came up with an exact match: "the observed phenomena were due to the re-entry of the 2nd stage of the rocket that placed Cosmos 2335 into orbit earlier the same day." Should anyone doubt this, Molczan provides details of the mathematical calculations that support this conclusion.

(Sorry about the thread derail.)

Old 11-17-2015, 12:51 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I always take 37. It's shorter and far more senic. The only time I wouldn't recommend it is for the first time winter driver. Especially during December and January mainly due to darkness. Otherwise I'll never drive the whole Alcan.
It is shorter but I don't know if it saves that much time, especially if your heading to the eastern part of the U.S. The road isn't in as good of shape and you can't go nearly as fast. I've taken both several times and whatever one I take, I always swear the other route is faster about halfway through . I do love Dease Lake, some of the best night skies I have ever seen there, and Kitwanga. I stopped in Kitwanga a few years ago pumped $120 worth of diesel fuel at a small place and went inside to pay. The store was closed and no pay at the pump. I walked across the street to the grocery store, explained the situation and they got a hold of the owner. Turns out he went fishing and forgot to turn he pump off. I was able to pay the grocery store instead and they squared up with him later. They were amazed that someone would go out of their way to try and pay for the gas and gave us some free sandwiches. Only in Canada. Driving with "free" stolen gas is bad karma.

We also counted 17 black bears on the first two hours of the Cassiar one late April. They must of just been waking up. I like both routes equally.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:18 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Mileage wise the Cassiar is shorter. I'll grant you it is slower but for me the trade off in scenery makes up for that. The only sections that I've found where the roads isn't as good is south and north of Dease Lake. The other added bonus for me is a side trip to Hyder. I've made that detour 10 times now and that place is kinda growing on me. I know Wes the owner of the Hyder General Store and he's always got a story to tell.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I'm intrigued by Hyder, but have never been. I'll have to make it a point to swing over that way next time. Looking at a map now and am quite bummed that I didn't stop there on my two trips down the cassiar because it doesn't look that far out of the way.

I've always wondered if you get a DUI in hyder if you would theoritically be stuck there since Canada doesn't allow people with DUI's in their country. I guess you'd have to take a bush plane over to Ketchikan and catch the ferry to ever leave? Not planning on getting a DUI, just curious if it's ever happened to anyone that lives there. Quite an inconvienent place to get one .

Old 11-20-2015, 06:10 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm intrigued by Hyder, but have never been. I'll have to make it a point to swing over that way next time. Looking at a map now and am quite bummed that I didn't stop there on my two trips down the cassiar because it doesn't look that far out of the way.

I've always wondered if you get a DUI in hyder if you would theoritically be stuck there since Canada doesn't allow people with DUI's in their country. I guess you'd have to take a bush plane over to Ketchikan and catch the ferry to ever leave? Not planning on getting a DUI, just curious if it's ever happened to anyone that lives there. Quite an inconvienent place to get one .
I made the mistake and got a DUI about 12 years ago. I've been going into Canada for last 7 years or so with no problem, I was actually just there 2 months ago for my grandma's funeral. So when people tell you Canada doesn't allow DUI people, it's BS. I even bought my first passport after my dui and emailed Canada about it, said something about having to wait 3/4 years after recieving dui to be able to enter (which I did)

Old 11-20-2015, 05:26 PM

63 posts, read 183,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenehaven View Post
good luck

Made it to the good ole USA! 2 totally blown trailer tires, and 2 trailer flats, and 1 blown out driver side window from a rock thrown from passing semi. Everyone is fine, but ready for this road trip to be over! The people in the small towns of Canada were all very nice and helpful.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
Made it to the good ole USA! 2 totally blown trailer tires, and 2 trailer flats, and 1 blown out driver side window from a rock thrown from passing semi. Everyone is fine, but ready for this road trip to be over! The people in the small towns of Canada were all very nice and helpful.
Glad you made it intact! How did the 15-footer do pulling your vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage