Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:57 PM

63 posts, read 183,727 times

Advertisements

We are planning to drive a 15' U-Haul truck while pulling the U-Haul trailer with a GMC Acadia on the trailer driving from Anchorage to Chicago this week. Do you think it will be ok driving conditions? We will put chains on the uhaul. Where do we find useful highway status links? Anyone else making that drive soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,106,740 times
A friend just pulled a car dolly with a 4WD dually from the Fairbanks area to Ione, WA over the weekend and he said "It sucked. It was snowy and icy. Dodged buffalo and elk for over 1000 miles and smeared a dog outside Prince George."

You mean you're going to put tire chains on the UHaul??

Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Make sure you have a copy of Home - The MILEPOST . In my opinion, it's the best guide to the drive.
Road info:
Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.
Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
A friend just pulled a car dolly with a 4WD dually from the Fairbanks area to Ione, WA over the weekend and he said "It sucked. It was snowy and icy. Dodged buffalo and elk for over 1000 miles and smeared a dog outside Prince George."

You mean you're going to put tire chains on the UHaul??

That doesn't sound like any fun... Yes we were going to put tire chains on the 15' uhaul, while pulling the auto transport trailer with the Acadia up on the flat trailer.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
We have a Milepost 2013. Thanks for the traffic links!

Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
For many miles through the Yukon you won't have cell coverage so make sure you carry survival gear. We were with GCI who told us our phones would work in Canada, they did not. Check with your provider to check service.

We drove the AlCan in late May a couple of years ago and in places it was plain nasty, at one point I had 3 inches of ice built up on my car grille.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
You need a bigger truck than a 15 footer to haul an Arcadia-I'm suprised U Haul would sign off on such a rig.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
The Alaska highway out by delta junction last night was pretty dicey. Lots of snow, no plows around and a few people in the ditch.

Make sure you buy the insurance for the UHaul. I drove a UHaul into a ditch in a bad snow storm one time and didn't have to pay a dime because of the insurance (except for the tow, and in my defense there was several semi trucks and other cars in the ditch as well ) . I've also put chains on said UHaul once but only to make it up a steep driveway.

Most (if not all?) Uhauls aren't winterized and don't have dedicated winter tires, at least when I last rented one in Soldotna, so I'd check on that. I saw a few Uhauls coming up/going down on my last winter trip on the Alaska Highway, so it can be done. I'm glad I'm not driving one pulling a car trailer though. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
while pulling the auto transport trailer with the Acadia up on the flat trailer.
I did the drive one time in February in a uHaul pulling a car trailer with a small SUV on it. We wound up getting a flat on the trailer at 1am about 100 miles from Watson Lake. We pulled the vehicle off the trailer (it was about 20 below out) and I drove it while my driving partner drove the uHaul. The car trailer had dual axles, so it pulled fine, but the flat tire was destroyed by the time we got there. But we got there. Next morning, we had a new tire put on, put the car back on the trailer and went on our way.
Morale of the story: the vehicle on the trailer is a great back up. Keep it ready to use (full of gas, driver seat open) in case you need it.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I did the drive one time in February in a uHaul pulling a car trailer with a small SUV on it. We wound up getting a flat on the trailer at 1am about 100 miles from Watson Lake. We pulled the vehicle off the trailer (it was about 20 below out) and I drove it while my driving partner drove the uHaul. The car trailer had dual axles, so it pulled fine, but the flat tire was destroyed by the time we got there. But we got there. Next morning, we had a new tire put on, put the car back on the trailer and went on our way.
Morale of the story: the vehicle on the trailer is a great back up. Keep it ready to use (full of gas, driver seat open) in case you need it.
Can you give me details about your drive please? How did the uhaul feel going up and down the mountains and the twists and turns with no guard rails? Did the trailer push the uhaul downhill? Did you use chains? Was the weight of the truck and extra weight on the trailer make it extremely difficult for the uhaul truck when you hit ice, especially going up and down hills? What size uhaul did you use if you don't mind me asking.

We plan to have the acadia full of fuel, and a hitch cargo carrier on the back with an ice chest and 4 (10) gallon gas tanks on it. You think that is enough? Or get 5 or 6?

Last edited by drvasek; 11-11-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage